Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Hm I gotta check the spellbook then. Blight druid only had summon elemental and nature ally iirc. Maybe there's balance reasons for that. The sickening entangle is actually very brutal. Maybe thassilosian necro is a better option in that theme as a more pure summoner.

Seemed like a good pick for a summoner/debuffer/ccer at the time. Will stick with it.

Last edited:

velk

Trakanon Raider
Hmmm, the difficulty cliff for Unfair is entirely backwards.

You go from getting repeatedly kicked in the balls and desperately trying to work out what combination of dropped scrolls is going to let you live through the next fight, to ROFLstomping pretty much immediately after taking the first level of Lich. Power from Death and Vampiric Weapon are literal game changers, even if the bony bro is a useless waste of space.

Might be a Lich only thing? Trickster didn't have anything on quite the same scale, although getting an extra +1 to every piece of gear adds up. ( I wish they'd change the description though, it's seemingly impossible to tell the belt of +2 str and belt of +3 str apart without equipping them ).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

You go from getting repeatedly kicked in the balls and desperately trying to work out what combination of dropped scrolls is going to let you live through the next fight, to ROFLstomping pretty much immediately after taking the first level of Lich. Power from Death and Vampiric Weapon are literal game changers, even if the bony bro is a useless waste of space.

Might be a Lich only thing? Trickster didn't have anything on quite the same scale, although getting an extra +1 to every piece of gear adds up. ( I wish they'd change the description though, it's seemingly impossible to tell the belt of +2 str and belt of +3 str apart without equipping them ).
What class build are you using?

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider

I think that this is pretty normal in all d&d 3e based stuff - things just don’t scale with power builds because the game has to be doable for normal builds. Unfair feels like a place they really could have tried to put in some more difficult stuff, but alas.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That's always going to be the gap between true tabletop and games meant to emulate it. Even in tabletop OP builds workout on paper. But any decent DM won't let you go through with it and will put down a ton of hurdles in your way. Or just deny you the key items that make the build work at all in the early game. The classic Kensei/Wizard build of Baldur's Gate 2 and older Forgotten Realms build worked the same on paper. But you could trudge through BG with your insanely weak early build and survive until you hit the right level and acquired certain items. On tabletop the DM would likely register what you were doing and finding the exact right early sword to survive wouldn't happen nor the plethora of scrolls and potions you need in the computer game. You'd be stuck with a longsword +1 and just die.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Seeker -> Scaled Fist -> Cross-Blood Sorc -> Dragon Disciple -> Eldritch Knight

Hey, if you aren't going to use degenerate builds in Unfair, where are you going to use them ? 8)
Got a guide for this one?

velk

Trakanon Raider
Got a guide for this one?

Credit to this guy Steam Community :: Guide :: Olivia Obscene the (ma)thematically correct Lich for the ideas - I've been comparing it to the neoseeker melee sorcerer suggestions, and this one definitely ends up superior.

I'd note that it's written as a solo build guide, but that seems a very iffy start to me - with 14 starting str, you can't hit shit, and will get constantly oneshot. It's much more enjoyable with some companions focused on buffs, particularly protective luck and attack buffs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Instinctual Barbarian is straight up badass.

Fucking around with an animal build with Seelah. Seeker Oracle with wolf faced curse is a real nice one. You get the bite attack with it directly. I wonder if you could stack it and have double bite if you went Motherless Tiefling into Wolf Face curse?

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Fucking around with an animal build with Seelah. Seeker Oracle with wolf faced curse is a real nice one. You get the bite attack with it directly. I wonder if you could stack it and have double bite if you went Motherless Tiefling into Wolf Face curse?

Afaik, the motherless bite is independent, so you should be able to get a double bite doing that. There is a alchemist (vivi) build that goes full on natural attacks that gets double bite, with motherless and feral mutagen.

For most of the game I had trouble landing bites on the Vivi build (w/ magic fang); the oracle may have the same issue.

velk

Trakanon Raider

Yeah, as far as I know, all of the bite attacks stack.

There's only two downsides I can think of - first is that if you use a reach weapon you have to move into close range to bite them, if you attack at max range it'll just skip biting. The other is that most (all?) of them count as secondary attacks so have -5 to hit, so you are going to miss a looot on high difficulties. Of course, given a crit always hits, slapping them 10x a round and hoping for crits is sometimes the best you can do ;p

Edit: Oh also, some mobs have obnoxious shit when you bite them, so watch out for that.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay so I finally devoted a ton of time to this game and completed it.

Hands down it is superior to Kingmaker. However I appreciated the wandering group of adventurer setting a la Kingmaker more than the you're on this campaign against the Abyss Demons in WOTR. I am putting WOTR on my GOAT pedestal right next to Baldur's Gate 2.

Fundamentally the game does something that BG2 didn't. Your choices can dramatically alter your gameplay far more than "normal" DND type progression with the Mythic Paths. It is weaker in the sense I mentioned above. BG2 is awesome because you're just wandering around and falling into huge sidequests that are amazing by themselves. That didn't really exist in WOTR.

After reading the other mythic paths (I did trickster) it seems to me that Azata, Trickster, Aeon, and Lich are by far the most fleshed out. The other's are pretty slim in comparison. I'll have to do Lich for my next playthrough as there is like 4 companions locked behind that path. That is kind of bullshit as the others don't have path specific companions. The war campaign is kind of like old school Heroes of Might and Magic (3 is the best) and that is a game I really loved. Making the mini-game much more tolerable than the city management shit in Kingmaker.

The attention to detail in combat regarding rules and checks and stuff is somewhat complicated to understand. Learning curve and all but the fact that it is so honest to it makes it all the better.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Okay so I finally devoted a ton of time to this game and completed it.

Hands down it is superior to Kingmaker. However I appreciated the wandering group of adventurer setting a la Kingmaker more than the you're on this campaign against the Abyss Demons in WOTR. I am putting WOTR on my GOAT pedestal right next to Baldur's Gate 2.

Fundamentally the game does something that BG2 didn't. Your choices can dramatically alter your gameplay far more than "normal" DND type progression with the Mythic Paths. It is weaker in the sense I mentioned above. BG2 is awesome because you're just wandering around and falling into huge sidequests that are amazing by themselves. That didn't really exist in WOTR.

After reading the other mythic paths (I did trickster) it seems to me that Azata, Trickster, Aeon, and Lich are by far the most fleshed out. The other's are pretty slim in comparison. I'll have to do Lich for my next playthrough as there is like 4 companions locked behind that path. That is kind of bullshit as the others don't have path specific companions. The war campaign is kind of like old school Heroes of Might and Magic (3 is the best) and that is a game I really loved. Making the mini-game much more tolerable than the city management shit in Kingmaker.

The attention to detail in combat regarding rules and checks and stuff is somewhat complicated to understand. Learning curve and all but the fact that it is so honest to it makes it all the better.
I don't know if I can put WOTR quite up there with "The Greats" like BG2. I mean, by today's standards? Sure, WOTR is probably a better game. But the nostalgia, the story, the games of the time it was up against, etc. still has BG2 a ways ahead for me. Honestly, I'd probably even put NWN ahead of WOTR. But, WOTR is definitely in the next tier and I have it ahead of shit like Icewind Dale 1/2, ToEE, Pool of Radiance, etc.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Since my solo azata summoner build was pretty slow and frustrating, especially at chapter 5, where the summon scaling just doesn't hold up to bosses. I replayed solo with a magus angel build. Much much stronger, felt like flying through the game in comparison to my previous run. some fights that took me like half an hour or more previously I could now breeze through in a minute or so. still some BS boss fights like Deskari or inheritor that punish melee a lot.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
finished the inevitable excess DLC, kinda meh, I didn't really care too much for the overall storyline or the ending, especially since it was all so virtual and didn't have any bearing on the real story. still annoying with enemies somehow being able to bypass various immunities from items.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
6 people have beat the game on Core with one save and no deaths? I'm not sure I could ever pull that one off? Crits in early game being the issue.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Where the hell do you get the first aid kit? Can't even google it. Its for treat affliction.

Edit: apparently you just... have one? Idk.

Last edited:

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
This came out with new DLC for merc party rollups that looks fun. Haven't gotten into the other one yet but sounds puzzle heavy.

1650747738677.png

I found this later in the Leper's Smile. I didn't need it before to use cure affliction. Feel like I'm being trolled.