PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Perhaps their Chinese masters bitched about it.

Naw, it was the retards on Reddit. They don't want anyone dropping on the outskirts and want you pidgeon holed to the middle of the map.

Their solution was "Don't drop on the outskirts of the map" but they don't want the map size reduced.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The pacing issue has always been player driven. 3/4ths the server hot drops, 90% of those people die, then the midgame is "slow" because everyone murdered each other in the first couple minutes. They need to find a solution to that and fast fast early game circles isn't that (that just compounds the problem). I like the slower DayZ tactical game. If people want OMGWTFBBQ fast pace, Savage map will address that.

In the early versions of the game there were three planes and it spread out people more. Maybe they need to go back to that.

Fadaar

That guy
In the early versions of the game there were three planes and it spread out people more. Maybe they need to go back to that.

Guess I didn't start playing til after they got rid of that, but I wish there were multiple planes.

Sludig

Event mode that's up any good? Just randomly qued for the first time ever with pubs.

Sludig

Ok, actually like war or whatever it's called, would prefer a suicide button when knocked down and bit smaller teams. like 5-6/team.

Half my teams been fucking chinese though.

Cybsled

They probably couldn't half rollback changes, so all the circle changes got pulled. Consensus has been mostly final circles were good, early circles sucked. Except the people who drop Pocado/Hacienda/Military/School every single fucking game, who seem to be the people complaining most (ie, they want deathmatch / call of duty mode vs. Arma).

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah, people landing at School/Pecado/Hacienda are unfortunately dictating the direction of the game. That's for the people who say "THIS IS SO BORING" when they have to run for 4 minutes without seeing people. The people who jerk off to Shroud getting 7 kills in School every game. Like I understand they're a portion of the players and I can get they want instant action, but also, fuck them. Land at a city or near a city. Plenty of action and gear. If you just want as many kills as possible go play another game. I want to win. Winning with high kills is my goal, but winning is priority #1 or I'd just land Military Base over and over and over and over like these fucking ADHD Fortnite nerds.

I want to play a strategic game and win, preferably with a good amount of kills and fights that are actual fights. I don't want to be "the guy that got the rifle first" and get 6 meaningless kills. I want to 4 v 4 or 2 v 2 several times and win the fights. I want to earn kills not just RNG into them.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I think people seem to be confused between battle royale and deathmatch styles of game. Luckily war mode should satisfy those people.

I actually don't think those people are dictating it as much as streamers. Seriously, they can't fucking get over the fact that their game is shit for competitive play, but keep trying to pigeonhole it into that and something interesting to stream. I mean, I guess that's fine, but I think they're risking losing a lot of players if they keep going that direction.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

If they want instant action they should be playing Fornite anyways. I've always thought of PUBG being the more strategic game. Once the new map which is smaller finally hits as a permanent feature, I feel that would be the more action oriented map anyways. You'll be able to have it both ways eventually in this game.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think I have some fundamental differences of opinion on game design with some of you.

It feels like people think you should be able to drop anywhere and be able to have enough time to get ALL the loot. I strongly disagree with this.

First off, there's a game knowledge element. Knowing where you can drop to get enough loot with likely quantities of people you are comfortable with is something you learn through experience. I see people here constantly talking about places I would never drop, in any game size, ever. Places that just don't have enough loot consistently to support even a single player, yet people will drop there duo's and squads and then are worried about the circle because they are still trying to loot instead of dropping somewhere you can get more loot to begin with. People talk about places like Ferry Pier, Minas Generales, and then complain about not having loot? That's kind of your fault.

Two, having an idea of if dropping somewhere late in the plane is acceptable. The edge of the map is much more acceptable of a drop early in the plane. This feels like common sense, but I think people don't consider it. I drop Stalber a decent amount when the plane flies over it. It's got good loot, and decent early fighting with rarely too many people. I never drop there end of the plane, ever. Why? If you get a military circle you're screwed because you're almost never getting a vehicle without running your ass off. You have to consider the likelihood of being able to get to bad circles. This isn't a circle problem, this isn't a need more time problem, this is a your dumb ass made a bad drop and didn't consider the potential consequences. You should have gone somewhere else. Bad circles early in the game is a choice you made. If you die to the first 2 circles, you fucked up really hard.

Finding a mid game boring and hot dropping are not related. On Erangel I never drop School. Sometimes Pochinki in squads, but rarely. Almost never military unless I'm in the mood. I like George but it's a great way to die, same with Poly. I drop hotter but reasonable places when solo, the Factory, Gatka, Shooting Range, Severny, Stalber. These are places that get people so I have some early action, but it's rarely more than a few. The mid game is still boring. From minutes 5 to 20 you don't see much. The new circles really fixed that, because people played the game instead of camping out in some random spot for 15 minutes. Miramar? I'm dropping Hacienda constantly because so many places are just shithouse. All the big cities have to many multistory buildings where people just camp in windows, you're too prone to random death. The places not like that have trash loot, or are prone to getting dumpstered by the circle, or take way too long to loot. Prison has a vehicle problem, military has a take forever to loot and vehicle problem, the 3 cities close the military all suck ass for loot. Power grid can be pretty good, and has decent outside of it loot potential with some of the complexes. So I just drop Hacienda, even in squads. We come out alive more often than not, and have loot that doesn't take 30 minutes to get. Plus it puts you in the center of the map with a lot of potential to put you in places people need to go past so you can get fights.

The genre is called BATTLE ROYALE. Not bush simulator where you watch grass grow. Not inventory management BATTLE. It's in the name. The new circles really promoted this. You had reasonable fights, and not just did you have reasonable fights, consistently, you had the ability to actually fight them and not just die to a blue you couldn't deal with.

I will say though, regardless of anything else, I think loot should be more like Savage. The current loot spawns can tend to fuck you even in good places. Had a game placed 4th in squads the other day where we dropped power grid, looted every complex on the way to Chumacera, and half of Chumacera, and only one of us found an AR while seeing fucking no one until the last couple circles. My real solution would have been to leave the new circles and just add more guns. I think meds and attachments should stay the same, but more guns.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
New game mode is pretty fun. Besides landing in a hot zone with a VSS, is prettttty good. Got some highlights and a clip for those wanting to peep it:

Just a nice little triple kill that consisted of about 5 knockouts:

The Venice (water town) War Mode map has a REALLY sweet spot in the west side with a little cubby. My team actually got bugged out once and it was just two of us and we still netted 15-20 kills. In this clip I get an 8x with an SKS and it becomes READILY apparent how good crate drops are:

And to up that, I got an 8x AWM on the south hillside of the Firing Range map. Can't get much better. The enemy was clueless about me the entire time. I say 9 knocks, but I counted and it was only 7. But I died with 3 bullets left!

All in all pretty fun. I don't like the more building intensive ones like Yasnaya/Pochinki as it fucks with FPS really badly. Zharki wasn't bad and we had a fun Primorsk fight. I think the key is to find the non fuck-zone and hold it off. Unless your team is lagging way too far behind in kills you should be alright if the dummies keep zerging at you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Finding a mid game boring and hot dropping are not related. On Erangel I never drop School. Sometimes Pochinki in squads, but rarely. Almost never military unless I'm in the mood. I like George but it's a great way to die, same with Poly. I drop hotter but reasonable places when solo, the Factory, Gatka, Shooting Range, Severny, Stalber. These are places that get people so I have some early action, but it's rarely more than a few. The mid game is still boring. From minutes 5 to 20 you don't see much. The new circles really fixed that, because people played the game instead of camping out in some random spot for 15 minutes. Miramar? I'm dropping Hacienda constantly because so many places are just shithouse. All the big cities have to many multistory buildings where people just camp in windows, you're too prone to random death. The places not like that have trash loot, or are prone to getting dumpstered by the circle, or take way too long to loot. Prison has a vehicle problem, military has a take forever to loot and vehicle problem, the 3 cities close the military all suck ass for loot. Power grid can be pretty good, and has decent outside of it loot potential with some of the complexes. So I just drop Hacienda, even in squads. We come out alive more often than not, and have loot that doesn't take 30 minutes to get. Plus it puts you in the center of the map with a lot of potential to put you in places people need to go past so you can get fights.

The genre is called BATTLE ROYALE. Not bush simulator where you watch grass grow. Not inventory management BATTLE. It's in the name. The new circles really promoted this. You had reasonable fights, and not just did you have reasonable fights, consistently, you had the ability to actually fight them and not just die to a blue you couldn't deal with.

Right, but the midgame is boring still because 75% of the people are hot dropping, even if you aren't. It happens every fucking game. When 75% of the players are hot dropping 1 or 2 spots, that means 25% is spread over the rest of the map, which means population density is way, way down outside those hot dropzones. Changing circles just modifies the behavior of the 25%, the other 75% still hot drop and wipe each other out. Plus, the early circle changes just reward camping even more, since people have to rush against the blue and cannot be more careful, which makes for easier targets.

The genre is called Battle Royale, but it obtains its format from the movie of the same name. They were survival movies where you engaged when you had to, especially if the enemy had better shit than you. The whole point was to be last man/woman standing, not be the terminator and have a 20 person body count. I know many people like that style of play, but honestly I don't. I'm not going to win a finger twitch battle with a fucking 19 year old kid on redbull. I like the more methodical, strategic game. A lot of that goes out the window when you're having to holster your weapon and sprint 90% of the time now because of punishing early circles.

• 1Solidarity

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
The genre is called Battle Royale, but it obtains its format from the movie of the same name. They were survival movies where you engaged when you had to, especially if the enemy had better shit than you. The whole point was to be last man/woman standing, not be the terminator and have a 20 person body count. I know many people like that style of play, but honestly I don't. I'm not going to win a finger twitch battle with a fucking 19 year old kid on redbull. I like the more methodical, strategic game. A lot of that goes out the window when you're having to holster your weapon and sprint 90% of the time now because of punishing early circles.

Then this game probably isn't for you? i agree with everything you said which is why I don't play PUBG anymore or rarely. If the above is what you are looking for then there are other survival shooter games coming out that might be what you are looking for.

Cybsled

Or the game was for me and people keep trying to make it into a different game is another way of looking at it.

My solution to hot dropping and slow midgame: The game doesn't spawn loot until players are within a certain proximity, this is already in the game. What if the system detected player density and spawned shittier loot the more people there were in that area? This would only happen before and during the first circle. Suddenly hot drops aren't as rewarding if all you're getting is level 1 helmets/armor, shotties, and pistols. This would force players to seek out less populated areas to drop, resulting in a higher player population through the first circle and consequently, more engagements since the 100 players are filling more of the map vs. a large majority being hyper concentrated at the start?

• 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I read slippery's post, and honestly it sounds like you want a different game. Why bother even having 2/3 of the map that are on the outskirts? Seriously, what the fuck are the buildings even there for if not for someone to potentially land?

Shit, the devs even added a ton of buildings on the desert map that are on the outskirts.

Anyway, I will agree with the loot being shit. We played a ton of games last night, but I had one where we just could NOT find anything for longer range than a red dot. We had to move from the Mylta area to Farm (we got this circle like 4 times in a row), and in that area you're engaging at 200+ meters. With a red dot, it was fucking pointless. Can't run out into the fields because you get picked off. Can't fight because good luck hitting the guy that far away while he snipes you in 2 shots.

• 1Solidarity

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
You clearly didn't play with the new circles because you didn't have to spend forever running and the mid game was intense. The current circles system is way worse about making you run. You think you have more time but the reality is that you don't because if you don't leave way early you're going to be in the blue.

So let's say you want to win. You play like a snake, about fights as much as possible, and only engaged when forced. You're going to lose a lot of games for two big reasons. One is that people are going to catch you and you'll die since they are engaging first which is the biggest advantage you get in this game. Second is that you aren't going to be consistently good enough to out shoot someone because you about actually shooting. In order to get better you have to actually play the game and try to fight. When I started playing back in like August or whatever it was I sucked. My of when playing with rock gimp gank etc was like .5. My kd in squads this season over 27 games is something like 3.16. I got better because I play the game and try to kill people, not play a long simulator in places with bad loot that force you to get raped by the circle

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I read slippery's post, and honestly it sounds like you want a different game. Why bother even having 2/3 of the map that are on the outskirts? Seriously, what the fuck are the buildings even there for if not for someone to potentially land?

Shit, the devs even added a ton of buildings on the desert map that are on the outskirts.

Anyway, I will agree with the loot being shit. We played a ton of games last night, but I had one where we just could NOT find anything for longer range than a red dot. We had to move from the Mylta area to Farm (we got this circle like 4 times in a row), and in that area you're engaging at 200+ meters. With a red dot, it was fucking pointless. Can't run out into the fields because you get picked off. Can't fight because good luck hitting the guy that far away while he snipes you in 2 shots.
Clearly didn't read. Outskirts are bad late in the plane because you lose to much time before you even get there. Long dropping also had this problem. It's viable, but you don't get to do it and then bitch about not having enough time. You don't have enough time because if the decisions you made since you didn't consider the consequences.

I think showing the circle before you drop would have been huge, especially on Miramar, for getting people to drop places like that new city. The fact is if loot is good enough people will go to these places. The loot in all these border places on Miramar isn't good enough to justify going there ever. Old map is a little better. Places like primorsk and lipovka are decent enough. I even named multiple edge of the map places I go to