Pregnancy Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Congrats Crone! RIP getting a good nights sleep for at least a few months
smile.png

Now you're ready for theParent Thread

lindz

#DDs
Yay, grats Noodle. I know it's got to be a huge relief. It is so damn stressful when you're trying to conceive and things aren't going right.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It was stressful because she was really stressed out. I took the approach of "if it doesn't happen, it wasn't in our cards" and she didn't appreciate that much.

Now to worry about money.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Having a baby is pretty inexpensive. Having a young kid is pretty expensive. I'm assuming you have decent health insurance.

The real costs come down the road from what I understand. My daughter being 17 months has been much less expensive than I expected

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm hoping to save money by doing the labor myself and locking the kid in the bathroom until it's hit the potty train skill soft cap.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If you have to go the daycare route with your infant, it is expensive as shit. I live in one of the cheapest areas of the country for cost of living, and daycare for an infant is roughly $200-$220 a week around here. That's the equivalent of an average home mortgage payment per month in this part of the country.

outside of that, young kids aren't horribly expensive(as long as you have good medical insurance). our 1 year old basically eats the same food we do, we don't spend a ton of money on different stuff for him. About the only expense is diapers and wipes (which is maybe $100 a month, tops)

I would list clothing as an expense, but you'll get so many clothes from relatives as gifts, and hand-me-downs from friends that you probably won't need to buy a ton of stuff, as long as your wife isn't the type of woman that needs her kid to wear brand new stuff from Baby Gap constantly. As of our baby shower. we had a whole closet full of clothes, we were basically set from 0-2 years before the kid was even born.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
outside of that, young kids aren't horribly expensive(as long as you have good medical insurance). our 1 year old basically eats the same food we do, we don't spend a ton of money on different stuff for him. About the only expense is diapers and wipes (which is maybe $100 a month, tops)

I would list clothing as an expense, but you'll get so many clothes from relatives as gifts, and hand-me-downs from friends that you probably won't need to buy a ton of stuff, as long as your wife isn't the type of woman that needs her kid to wear brand new stuff from Baby Gap constantly. As of our baby shower. we had a whole closet full of clothes, we were basically set from 0-2 years before the kid was even born.
Yes, it will be very hard to convince your wife of this, but don't buy any baby clothes. Bitches love shopping for baby clothes so you will end up with a ton of them. We will have to do several outfit changes a day in order to get our daughter into all the newborn clothes we ended up with at least once before she grows out of them. If your wife just can't resist herself, at least get her to buy the slightly older stuff (like 3-6 months or bigger).

Also, we ended up with so many diapers that we have already had to take in a couple of the Costco-sized newborn diapers (which coming out at 8lbs 4oz, she barely fit into when born) and exchanged them for bigger sizes. Looking at the nursery, I am seriously wondering if we'll have to buy a single diaper before she is potty-trained. This is partly due to the fact that my wife works as a labor-and-delivery nurse so bulk diapers is a standard baby-gift amongst co-workers. YMMV.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, we had 0-6 month and 6-12 month clothes that our kid never even got a chance to wear, we had so much given to us. People with older kids LOVE to just dump a trash bag full of baby clothes on you when they clean out their closets. I didn't complain.

lindz

#DDs
And by the time you're on your third, you don't have to buy anything because you have so many hand-me-downs. My poor two year old has like nothing new. Helps having three girls.