Prey

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
The biggest logic leap IMO is when she figured out the herb made it so the Predator couldn’t see the wounded guy. Guy was playing dead, so why would you automatically come to the conclusion that the herb is why the Predator ignored him.

She is good at medicinal herbs. It's the one thing that is shown to us, and told to us, multiple times throughout the movie. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing she gave the Comanche who was mauled by the lion, something to slow your heart and make you not bleed to death. So even if it is a logical leap as a viewer, it shouldn't be a logical leap for her. She gave him the "slow down, don't die" herb, and he didn't get murked right away, whereas the predator finished everyone else off.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm reading the comments on this thread, and I haven't seen the movie but I'm trying to imagine exactly what happened, and it just sounds like a cluster fuck.

I guess I'm at least a little bit excited to sit down and maybe try to watch it this evening, because on one hand it sounds like it's a nice simple movie that does the IP justice, but on the other hand it sounds like an utter mess.

Why didn't they just follow the comic books, you would have had movie upon movie available much like the Star wars extended universe.

its better than all the shit $200m Netflix movies i've seen in the past 2 years like Gray Man, Red Notice, 6 Underground, Triple Frontier, Extraction, female Highlander, Project Power, on and on and on. I guess its all relative.

Really makes you wonder how the fuck Netflix put out so many goddamn bad movies.

Not sure where people are getting the $90m budget for Prey either, afaik the budget has not leaked anywhere. $90m was what it cost to make Batgirl, which WB shelved.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The comic books start getting into a lot of space shit if I recall. Budget constraints I imagine are the biggest factor

This film cost 90mil and it has no name actors and forests/simple set design
The entire extended universe in the comics through Dark Horse are awesome. Same thing with all of the Aliens stuff, and both IPs have been pretty heavily blended since the late '80s.

There's a guy on YouTube, Alien Theory, that does a pretty great job of covering all of the old comics from a narrative sort of style, a lot like that guy who does Warhammer 40K (Lutin if I remember).
He's covered a lot of Predator stuff as well.

There really is just so much cool shit that came out of all of the comics over the past handful of decades and it's a shame it wasn't ever treated with the proper respect. I guess it's no different than the Star wars extended universe when it came to film the adaptations.

You really could have had a pretty amazing TV series set during the time of Aliens bringing in the Predators, and go in all kinds of different directions. They're just really is a lot of interesting stories that were told.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Holy hell. I can’t believe this took $90m to make.
This was a little nuts to me too. The movie looked like it was shot in my backyard between 2 trees. They must have spent all their money on CGI for the wolf and bear since the Predator was invisible 99% of the movie.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The entire extended universe in the comics through Dark Horse are awesome. Same thing with all of the Aliens stuff, and both IPs have been pretty heavily blended since the late '80s.

There's a guy on YouTube, Alien Theory, that does a pretty great job of covering all of the old comics from a narrative sort of style, a lot like that guy who does Warhammer 40K (Lutin if I remember).
He's covered a lot of Predator stuff as well.

There really is just so much cool shit that came out of all of the comics over the past handful of decades and it's a shame it wasn't ever treated with the proper respect. I guess it's no different than the Star wars extended universe when it came to film the adaptations.

You really could have had a pretty amazing TV series set during the time of Aliens bringing in the Predators, and go in all kinds of different directions. They're just really is a lot of interesting stories that were told.

Stuff like that is great for comics, but really hard to pull off for movies/tv.

Also such a huge shift from the first Predator, which is where the vast majority of your fan base is

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Not sure where people are getting the $90m budget for Prey either, afaik the budget has not leaked anywhere. $90m was what it cost to make Batgirl, which WB shelved.

Yeah people are googling Prey budget and not reading. 2018 Pred was $88 million. They have not listed the budget of Prey anywhere yet.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Cybsled

She is good at medicinal herbs. It's the one thing that is shown to us, and told to us, multiple times throughout the movie. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing she gave the Comanche who was mauled by the lion, something to slow your heart and make you not bleed to death. So even if it is a logical leap as a viewer, it shouldn't be a logical leap for her. She gave him the "slow down, don't die" herb, and he didn't get murked right away, whereas the predator finished everyone else off.

Right, but she had no idea it saw by heat. I cannot recall a single instance where there was any hint it saw by infrared, nor can I think of any instance where a person pretending to be dead still got ganked by the Predator who saw through the ruse.

The Predator "saw" him, but it just thought he was a corpse because of his body temp being down and because he was playing dead. But she wouldn't know that, she just knew he was playing dead. The leap to say "omg the herb hides him" doesn't make sense given what she knew.

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
Movie was solid. Definitely the best since the original.

Only gripes are the action scenes were sometimes hard to follow due to the shot/edit, and the lion and bear CGI could have been a tad better.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Right, but she had no idea it saw by heat. I cannot recall a single instance where there was any hint it saw by infrared, nor can I think of any instance where a person pretending to be dead still got ganked by the Predator who saw through the ruse.

The Predator "saw" him, but it just thought he was a corpse because of his body temp being down and because he was playing dead. But she wouldn't know that, she just knew he was playing dead. The leap to say "omg the herb hides him" doesn't make sense given what she knew.
The movie is so full of shit like this that I won't rank it higher than 2 or the Adrien Brody version

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
OK- watched it.

Wanted to hate it in the first 15 minutes because it was abundantly clear where this film was heading. Comanche-chick-wanna-be-warrior vs predator. Yeah, they kind of telegraphed the whole thing in those first 15 minutes.

BUT- damn it, it was fucking entertaining! Holy shit, it was more entertaining per minute (and I bet per dollar spent) then the entire fucking Sandman series or the 2 seasons of Game of Thrones or most of the bloated, over-budgeted crap out there on TV or in the movies.

And no; the girl wasn't supposed to be that great a warrior. Her brother really did kick ass though. I was sort of hoping she was going to use her pharmacology to poison the thing in some way (or cause it to exsanguinate). But okay. Whatever.

Major, MAJOR kudos for
NOT KILLING THE DOG!!!
That's what I was most worried about...

PS- the reason the Predator didn't see the guy she treated is because it had thermal vision. Her herbs were inducing hypothermia in those she treated. Yeah, they spelled it out about three times. And, yes, it's a totally stupid idea that a dose of medication can reduce your body temperature that quickly (and by that much) without killing you. But that was what it was doing...

I liked it. It went for the woke, bad-white-man, injun ass-kicking, woman-under-rated, gonna be a dumb thrillfest and scored all bull-eyes! Watch it. Its good.

Lastly, I was wondering if, near the end, we were somehow going to find out that this particular Predator was actually a chick-predator... Oh well, that little ironic twist never happened.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

PS- the reason the Predator didn't see the guy she treated is because it had thermal vision. Her herbs were inducing hypothermia in those she treated. Yeah, they spelled it out about three times. And, yes, it's a totally stupid idea that a dose of medication can reduce your body temperature that quickly (and by that much) without killing you. But that was what it was doing.

Right, that part was well communicated

My issue was she makes the assumption the Predator didn’t kill the dude because of the herbs. The guy was playing dead and the Predator ignored him. She had not seen the Predator kill someone who was faking death, unless it was a deleted scene, so assuming it was the herbs that did it vs just tricking the Predator is a big leap in logic not supported by what she knew

Trollocaust

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is no one going to talk about the elephant in the room.. predators have totally shit vision without the mask, as seen in pred1.

Knowing that, a lot of scenes would make no sense when the mask was off.

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I did not know that
Its one of those things where we are shown that the predators's masks give them specific kinds of vision, and that without the mask they have a specific OTHER kind of vision.

But because there were explored in late 80's/early 90's movie tech, those kinds of vision were pretty crappy. How much of that is because of limited movie sfx and how much is because their actual vision is awful is possibly up for debate...

But I always thought of it as it not making much sense that they'd be born with awful vision, but I suppose you could argue that their dependence on their masks have become so great that their own natural vision has degraded pretty heavily.

But most likely it's just bad sfx

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
The best thing about this whole fucked up aliens world was always the space marines. All the aliens, predators, and acid reflex vision shit don't mean shit without a game over man. May be forever RIP

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
2018 movie was the Oliva Munn one, which was dogshit. Like was pointed out, that was the one where that one Predator wanted the genes from an austic kid because it supposedly would help it with the evolving shit it was doing or w/e

The Adrian Brody one was from 2010. I do agree the 2010 one was decent.
Someone needs to make a quick reference chart for which predator is which. With an iconic photo of each.

EDAAAAAAWWWWWW!
Edaw Edaw

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like