Prey

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
This must have been the pussiest of the Yuatja because he’s just getting the shit kicked out of him the whole movie.

Still pretty entertaining. I’d rank it at about 4th after 1, 2 and Predators.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
But I always thought of it as it not making much sense that they'd be born with awful vision, but I suppose you could argue that their dependence on their masks have become so great that their own natural vision has degraded pretty heavily.

One of the only good parts of AVP Requiem shows the Yautja homeworld and it has a definite red / orange tint to the skies and landscape, which could explain why the Yautja's vision is very red when the mask is off, it's adapted to their home conditions but when they visit other planets to hunt they have to wear the biomask to adapt their vision modes (and they can switch between different modes as seen with the City Hunter in Predator 2). Wolf in AVP Requiem didn't wear a biomask on his homeworld, the masks are mostly when they go hunting, and even then he picks a specific one for the Earth mission, meaning there could be various masks adapted to various environments.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
About the vision and the herbs and shit. This was really the main part that bugged me. Otherwise I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit more than I expected to. As some have been attempting to communicate (I think), yes they set up what the herbs did and we all got that. The problem is with an 18th century Indian having ANY FUCKING IDEA what infrared is. For all she knew it fucking saw souls and the herbs masked the soul. Yes, she knew it made people cold, but how would she know what an alien species uses for vision? Let alone how heat vision works.

But ok, somehow she immediately made that logic leap. Next we're forced to assume Predators are almost completely blind outside of IR, as she has to step aside as it walks past her. Can the Predator not see fucking trees and rocks and buildings and shit, since they are ambient temperature? Of course he can. Yet somehow he doesn't notice a "tree" that FUCKING MOVES OUT OF HIS WAY (that he was about to run into no less). Oh, and he's also completely deaf, as he doesn't realize that "tree" is also talking right before he passes it. At least Arnold was usually hiding against the background and not standing in front of a giant IR target where he'd be silhouetted as he moved. If I remember correctly it also tracked him via sound a few times. And didn't he throw a stick to distract it? But how did he see the stick if it is cold??? OMG!

It is on the same level, to me anyway, as that movie bullshit where two characters are standing out in the open, and then a third blindsides one of them from off camera. Motherfucker, just because WE can't see it in the camera frame doesn't mean they were completely invisible to the two characters. They would have seen that asshole miles away. But ACTING! This was similar to that for me. I realize it would have ruined the point of the movie, but we should have seen the Predator walking toward the fire and its huge IR glow, focused on the French asshole, and then suddenly a dark spot moves a step to the side. It pauses, then nonchalantly spears it with his claws, chick dies because she isn't technologically advanced enough to understand how IR works, and then the dog comes and wins the day and fucks bitches for the rest of its life. Fin.

spronk

FPS noob
i believe the predator in this movie is a juvenile and this is its first hunt

anyways mac and blain liked it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yea nah, Armold was way better at it then her. Arnold pretty much fought an unhurt one, this one was fucked up and it lost its visor. Also the gun she had was the one given to Danny Glover in Predator 2, so my guess is they finished her off at some point since they got it as a trophy later

I was trying to figure out during the movie if that pistol she had was the one from Predator 2. At the end you see the plate on it and yes, it is.

During the credits there's a montage of art of the movie, and the last part actually shows something that happens after the movie ends. A bunch of spaceships land at the village and everyone turns to look at them, cut to black.

I really wish the main movie had included that. Because it gives the impression that maybe they came back and killed everyone (thus getting the pistol).

What I would have liked to see is them returning to collect the body of the other one, the Predator chief having a nod of respect with Naru, and her tossing him the gun. It would have been an incredible full circle moment.

Other than that wasted opportunity, the movie was pretty solid.

Oldbased

> Than U
I was trying to figure out during the movie if that pistol she had was the one from Predator 2. At the end you see the plate on it and yes, it is.

During the credits there's a montage of art of the movie, and the last part actually shows something that happens after the movie ends. A bunch of spaceships land at the village and everyone turns to look at them, cut to black.

I really wish the main movie had included that. Because it gives the impression that maybe they came back and killed everyone (thus getting the pistol).

What I would have liked to see is them returning to collect the body of the other one, the Predator chief having a nod of respect with Naru, and her tossing him the gun. It would have been an incredible full circle moment.

Other than that wasted opportunity, the movie was pretty solid.
Look boss da sequel da sequel

Gamma Rays

Large sized member

Yeah I like to think that would have been the way it would have played out.

The Predators ( from reading their actions from the ending of Pred2 ) seem to have a culture of respect and honor for other 'warriors', added to things like only attacking people who are armed. So it makes sense for them to hold Naru in the highest respect for having killed one of their own. But they have a code of not leaving a fallen comrade behind, so body retrieval and then some moment of exchanging the pistol.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I like to think that would have been the way it would have played out.

The Predators ( from reading their actions from the ending of Pred2 ) seem to have a culture of respect and honor for other 'warriors', added to things like only attacking people who are armed. So it makes sense for them to hold Naru in the highest respect for having killed one of their own. But they have a code of not leaving a fallen comrade behind, so body retrieval and then some moment of exchanging the pistol.
yeah, in some of the extended universe stuff (books and comics) the predators all know about dutch (arnold's character) and hold him in extremely high regard. the natural evolution of that respect leads to some silly outcomes, though. basically because of dutch (and now naru as well, i'd assume) they all want to go to earth to test themselves against humans and where once the predator was this really cool, unique monster, now they show up in jersey every other weekend.

Predators (2010 movie) had some issues, but it actually felt like it tried to rectify some of that nonsense though. instead of hunting on earth and taking trophies of bob and judith during their monthly book club, they just pick clear top tier targets and bring them to a game preserve, where even if one of the predators get killed, it doesn't create some intergalactic disaster... or it shouldn't... the comics had adrien brody's character figure out a way to fly a predator ship and the last we saw him he was flying to yautja prime (predator home world) to settle the score

the comics are real dumb.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Aubrey Plaza was in Legion, I don't think it's the same chick.
Nah she is female cary (kerry?) In legion. Shes the fighter chick that comes out of old scientist man cary. You know, the one who kicks ass and chews bubblegum but shes all out of gum?

Earlier in the thread before the movie came out people were all like "hurrdurr 90lb injun woman gonna outfight arnie in his prime? Wokefest bullshit" when actually, no nothing of the sort, not to mention she has plenty of action/martial arts experience.

I'm no expert on the customs/cultural norms of whatever random savages who never even invented the wheel they are allegedly portraying in this film but I'm going to assume the female warrior garbage is probably a stretch, but otherwise it was fine.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
It was roughly as faithful a portrayal of women in 18th century native american culture as Arnie and his one-liner crew was of late 80s US special forces / Vietnam vets. So it fits the franchise.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I think the movie did a good job of trying to explain why she was able to defeat the predator.

It clearly established that the flower lowered body temperature, they showed her using it on someone and the predator not seeing him. Big stretch for her to make the connection, but at least they explained why she was able to do this.

They also explained that she was a good hunter, her brother letting track the lion. Then admitting that without her plan/trap he wouldn't have been able to defeat the lion, establishing that she's smart enough to plan and lure her target into a trap.

They showed witnessing that the predator darts were going to where the red light from the mask targeted. She used that to kill him.

While some of the logical leap she made were a stretch but still within the realm of possibility, I appreciate that there was an effort to explain how and why she was able to defeat the predator. She didn't defeat it because of girl power, she did because she's a good hunter, and observed her prey, learn it's weaknesses and use them to her advantage. They even went so far as to have someone else seriously hurt it beforehand so she wasn't facing a predator at peak power.

That is what allowed the movie to be truly enjoyable for me. It's not a great movie masterpiece, but it is a really good predator movie.

If they want to push the strong female character, this is a good way to go about it.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
i believe the predator in this movie is a juvenile and this is its first hunt

it seemed that way, since he first killed a snake, then collected a wolf skull with the ritual of clearing it's skin and attaching it to his belt, plus he had very few adornments on himself or in his hair.

• 2Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Anyone figured our why the predator would use his homing darts when his helmet clearly isn't on his head? This is the question that keeps the movie back for me...makes no sense.

• 2Like

Juvarisx

Florida
Anyone figured our why the predator would use his homing darts when his helmet clearly isn't on his head? This is the question that keeps the movie back for me...makes no sense.

I mentioned it prior but my impression was that the predator thought the visor was broken or out of range so it was trying to eyeball the arrow since she was pretty close. If you watch the scene again it makes a shocked expression when it tracks the arrow moving away from her and notices the visor pointed at the mud pit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Ya, it seemed like the Predator was just going to dumbfire the bolts. He presumably didn't think the visor was anywhere near