(PS4) Days gone. Q1-2019

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I love when they do this.

Breath of the Wild had weather impacts as well and it changes up game play variety.

What I am looking for with this game is a mix of Far Cry 5 open world, a fantastic story, and the feeling of dread/survival in the world along with resource scavenging and the survival that goes with it. I am not too concerned about early game Motorcycle resources. Upgrades are unlocked based on factions and mission you need to do to unlock mechanics in certain camps - so early on, yeah, your bike will probably suck and only meant to get you out of sticky situations. Over time, your bike will grow with you from resource consumption upgrades, cosmetics, and durability.

I would bet reviews will hover around 8-8.5 or so. Also, dynamic 4k with HDR and the scenery looks like pure gold.

One thing that I didn't like when I watched a game play video was not being able to slide down ladders. In one video I watched (Trying not to watch anything) he went up a tower to scout and then had to walk back down the thing. But there are a variety of ways to tackle missions which I think people will like, as well as Bio-Chem upgrades from the CDC froma personal skill set level, so maybe he learns how to glide down the ladders :) Who knows.

Either way, I took a half day on Friday and will be playing at least 6-7 hours until drunk gaming weekend begins. Friday Day, Days Gone. Friday night, Multiplayer shenanigans. Saturday Day - Days Gone. Saturday night, more drunken Multiplayer shenanigans, Sunday day up until 8pm - Days Gone with a mix of sober Apex. 8pm Game of thrones.

Going to be a kick ass "My wife works nights this weekend" weekend after last weeks invasion of the in laws.
Botw is like the worst example. Superficial implementation that is more of an irritation than an added dynamic. Oh, it started to rain while I was climbing? Guess I’ll go take a shit while I wait for it to stop

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Anyways, with the amount of hope and change Ut is heaping on this game, it’s confirmed shit tier

• 1Triggered
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, Division 2 is a better example of weather effects done well. If heavy rain/heavy fog/dust storm rolls in I can clear a control point and enemy perception is so bad that only a couple of them will even get to shoot back.

I watched an hour long gameplay stream yesterday and it reinforced my suspicion that this game looks pretty boring. All he did was scoot around running out of gas (which just seemed like an annoying as fuck mechanic) and then fighting undead every single time he tried to do anything that didn't involve fighting the undead. So basically every encounter was a loss of resources and a total lack of surprise. The mobs are obviously spawned directly around you so there's little suspense or anticipation to an encounter. I understand that maybe the story missions will be better but, even then, what was hinted at did not look super engaging. I feel like this is a cool premise game but the execution looks pretty dull. Was not a day 1 buy for me and likely that won't change.
This is my biggest concern about the game. If hordes just magically appear around you all the time that shit is going to get really tedious really fast.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Botw is like the worst example. Superficial implementation that is more of an irritation than an added dynamic. Oh, it started to rain while I was climbing? Guess I’ll go take a shit while I wait for it to stop

Ha well yeah - climbing in the rain was a pet peeve of mine because they didn't have a counter outfit or device to climb in the rain. That was their downfall (No pun intended lol) on that particular piece. But I have always been a proponent of weather effects changing game play and requiring thought or having varied outcomes on the game patterns and having player counter elements to overcome. For me it makes it more engaging. For you, you scrub worse than your normal scrubbing. I can see where that would frustrate you.

With that said, if assets are already created for dynamic weather, it isn't hard to implement and develop/deploy weather based variables across whatever subset of data they need it to scrub against. So don't think this takes some enormous amount of time. Dynamic Day Night/Weather cycles stand alone take about 95% of that effort. And a lot of people want that in their RPG's/Action RPG's/Survival games. The other 5% of that development just goes to a few variable behaviors based on whatever weather constant is active. (And it's easy to point to 2-3 weather factors)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Welp. Maybe I’ll buy a new controller instead. :(

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Reviews are all over the board. I’ll jump the grenade anyway. I’ll post impressions Friday night before the scotch starts.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah 73/100 on MC pretty average "Fun in small bursts but Days Gone repetition, bland world, and meandering story make for an unremarkable ride".

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Fun in small bursts but Days Gone repetition, bland world, and meandering story make for an unremarkable ride

Watching gameplay videos the one thing I kept noticing was traveling from one point to another is nothing but barren terrain.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
DansGaming on twitch is playing this right now, looks like watered down last of us combined with a very watered down dying light. (Dying light is one of all time favourites so I am very biased). I will end up paying this but not at full price and maybe only after all dlc is released.

Unless I get bored while high, I make stupid purchases in that state. (I own versions of pc games that I already beat on PS4 because I either wanted to try them on the pc cuz I upgraded or I just thought I might enjoy them more, nope still hate Witcher 3)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Figure I'll get this on PS5 when it's a freebie on PS+.

• 1Worf

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Yup, after reading several reviews I will just wait for a sale. Looks fun but I'll wait for some more polish. I have a huge backlog of games anyways.

• 1Truth!

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I’ll be playing! Alll byyy myyyy aelffff

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Same here. Cancelled my preorder, went home and bought SteamWorld Quest instead. I'll play this whenever GameFly gets it to me.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
What made you go all in before today big Ut?

Not sure. I got the feeling this was going to be a great game. I still love open world zombie games and thought it would be a good mix of far cry and seven days to die and such. I’m grabbing it at almost half price thanks to gamers club and a 10 off coupon.

I still think I’ll like it. This is weird though because usually I’m on the same side you all are on but for some reason I still think I will like this.

• 1Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
I still havent even touched Spider-man, RDR2, or Uncharted 4 on my ps4, and am only half way through God of War. Figure I'll get this in a bargain game bin for $20. It does still look interesting and I loved TLoU.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users