Raised by Wolves

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Irrelevant. My only point was even if you did somehow manage to get to the center of the planet you wouldn't be floating around in zero gravity.

That is technically kinda true. Been a while since I was in my calc classes, but go look at some of newton's original proofs where he wrote equations to show the gravitational pull between any two objects could be simplified to just calculating the distance between their gravitational centers, because the gravitational pull between two perfect spheres is the same regardless of their size. In those equations it's also readily apparent that this only works if you exclude situations where the boundries of the objects overlap, such as one object inside the other.

There's more nuance to it and planets aren't perfect spheres, but gravitational pull certainly goes down and approaches 0 as you approach the center. There's a second gravitational formula that exists for the situation of one object inside another if you're curious to plug in the numbers yourself.

spronk

FPS noob
Irrelevant. My only point was even if you did somehow manage to get to the center of the planet you wouldn't be floating around in zero gravity.

You actually would, assuming a hollow core (weird, but thats what we saw) instead of the usual highly compressed metal core I think most (?) planets have

its a pretty common sci fi trope, I think Iain M Banks discusses it at length in The Algabraeist. The bigger issue is that the pressure applied to anything as you get closer and closer to the center becomes immense, but I just kinda hand waved that as space magic materials let spaceship go brrrr

I assumed they flew through the planet through a hollow center but yeah as Xevy said it coulda just been down to a hollow cavern at any depth with exits everywhere, like a giant worm subway system

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
FYI: this is set in the same universe as Alien.
I can't see that being possible, Ripley's lifetime was close to 100 years just to Alien 3, this is supposed to take place in the 22nd century.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
But as iconic as those visual and thematic elements may be, including Scott in the creative process may have brought the two so close together that fan theorists could find links if they really stretched. However, Guzikowski shut them down. "So, it was interesting, but we never talked about how specifically the series would fit into that mythology, nor was that really ever the goal," the writer said, "...it’s a close cousin, and it can kind of sit alongside it, but technically speaking, the mythologies don’t link up, necessarily."

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, the influences are obvious but there's no apparent connection, from the show anyway.

I really hope they don't try and link them up. Covenant was bad enough.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good summary of "we really had some nice studio pitching and daddy helped but while this is going nowhere I'd really like to show you guys how children acting is the shit".

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I decided to watch this over the past week. First 6.5 episodes were some good stuff. Good storyline, interesting setting, compelling characters. And then it just got... slow, stale and boring. I struggled just to finish watching episodes 9 and 10. Went from "easy binge" to "total slog" in about half an episode.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Finished this last night.

While I agree with some of the criticism, I also don't require my sci-fi to be perfect with the "sci"in portion of the equation. That is why "fi" part exists, otherwise it would just be called "science".

In any case, I'm just thrilled that shows like this exist and even though the last few episodes got harder to watch I hope that season 2 can make it compelling again. I particularly love the idea that aliens left technology specifications coded in scripture to dupe people into believing it was divine.

Who am I kidding, I just want some space marines to land on the planet and start fucking up the heretics and snake monsters that begin pouring out of the planet's surface.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wanted to see inside the structure in the desert, but I realize it is best they didn't show it as it would only be disappointing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't get why Mother didn't try and rip the snake thing in half while it was feeding on her. Father even had an axe at one point. I guess the idea might have been that as a dark photon android baby, maybe it would be as impervious as Mother was when she had her eyes.

On a side note, I thought it was interesting that Mother flew in the crucifixion of Jesus position, yet Mithraism was not a Christian variant. Why would that position be important to the Mithraics?

Overall, an enjoyable Sci-Fi show, but the last few episodes were kind of a slog. I just don't see how humanity could survive with that small of a population even if they didn't have some malevolent psychic being working against them.

As for why, they didn't just up and fly to the Tropical zone, it seems like the malevolent presence is actively trying to keep them in this area of the planet. When Paul is hearing it, he tries to throw the Lander's "keys" into the pit and says Sol doesn't want them to go the Temperate zone. So I guess it manipulates whoever it can to keep them from moving. Maybe, it doesn't have influence on the other side of the planet.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Binged this over the last 2 days. Great world building, total clusterfuck of storylines towards the end of the season.
Still, I love sci-fi and will watch season 2 if it eventuates.
They are going to have a hell of a time getting to the equator as planned without the shuttle. Walking across a planet as large as kepler 22b would probably take decades, and they don't exactly seem to have easy access to food and water.

Found it interesting that campion seems to be only one able to resist the malevolent voice. From memory everyone else the voice spoke to did what it told them to.

• 1Like

Grez

Molten Core Raider
Binged this over the last 2 days. Great world building, total clusterfuck of storylines towards the end of the season.
Still, I love sci-fi and will watch season 2 if it eventuates.
They are going to have a hell of a time getting to the equator as planned without the shuttle. Walking across a planet as large as kepler 22b would probably take decades, and they don't exactly seem to have easy access to food and water.

Found it interesting that campion seems to be only one able to resist the malevolent voice. From memory everyone else the voice spoke to did what it told them to.
There's always the atheist mother ship.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finally watching Vikings. Was confused about comments "Vikings guy playing the same character" but lol he is. 😂

The dude has found his niche - overly intense violent weirdo - so good for him, I guess. 👍

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's always the atheist mother ship.
basically this. It also makes me really curious what is around the equator because the voice seems to really not want them to go there.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Vikings guy was the same in Warcraft.

I loved the world building in this. Trees and plants that made sense based on the environment. Arsenic being a founding chemical as opposed to carbon. There's a lot of hidden chemistry in the imagery, objects. You see the carbon atomic structure built into everything. Humans tied to carbon. Synths something else. The planet arsenic based. The snake being some wild hybrid of the three. I wanted to see more of the alien human dog things, but that CGI was pretty awful when they show them in the light.

Enjoyed the role reversals of Mother, Father, Ragnar (wtf is his name again?). The children are fucking insufferable and I thought adults being cheese dick about religion was bad.

They definitely blow a lot of their load in the first episode. Then it drags pretty heavily throughout, introducing concept after concept, with little bits of plot trickled in. It's also wild how intriguing the rapist was and he doesn't really do anything interesting. Mother is a curious character. Being a modified weapon of mass destruction. Programmed with caregiving, effectively developing emotions. Father similarly, and how realizing who and what they are impacts them differently.

We see the giant snake skeleton fairly early. It's very clearly a garden of eden story. Allegories out the ass. For a while there I was like, how the fuck are they supposed to populate the planet from such a small pool. They're gonna need a lot of raping and incest. But then another giant ship load arrives. Of course. I took the snake as going through the core of the planet. This allows the ship to land without getting sucked dry by the serpent. Speaking of, why couldn't the serpent survive that? It literally absorbs energy. You also see a blue shield surround the ship. As far as traversing the distance, whatever. It's a fuckin space ship.

I can't predict where they're gonna go with season 2, be ausd I had no fucking idea where and what they would do next from the beginning. Will be curiously awaiting it regardless.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Shit, and I didn't even touch in the religion aspect. What a bunch of fucking wankers. And so are the atheists. The humans on this are the fucking worst.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Loved this show. Just binged it this past week.

So, there was brief mentioning of the cult that broke from the Mithras people. I was assuming they were the ones doing all the baby snake rezzing and hallucinations, since she saw the ritual with their weird cubey guy coded in the cult card and rapey helmet dude said he thought they were all expelled on earth

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I also assume OG Campion knew/understood dark photon technology which is why he broke with Mithras/Sol and was capable of re-engineering a necromancer