Raised by Wolves

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The snake fed off the energy of the lander. Mary even said it was growing at the "cellular level" at a crazy rate. Throw in some nuclear level energy source and you've got big expansion. Need mass? Not really. He could be larger with less density, which would be ideal as it levitates/flies.
They would be guilty of neither Showing (the best storytelling) or Telling (the fallback storytelling) us about the lamprey absorbing energy directly from its surroundings (unlike doing both on it eating fluids); *but* if it did, that could be a way for the lander to survive the center of the planet AND would give the critter all the energy it needed to grow giant size. Otherwise, yeh, it's unexplained lost-level bullshit.

of course, if it did just suck in energy, then the other android shoulda been an empty husk too just from proximity.

Grez

Molten Core Raider
It doesnt matter who is behind what at this point.

This show has devolved into such shit, which is ironic, because at this point, DE-evolution is the only interesting aspect in this show now. Father mentioned the planet is devolving, I guess its really going to now with their new giant flying snake overlord.

Oh, and Im not sure if you actually watched Prometheus, and or Covenant, but it was David who created the Aliens bud.

They might not be devolving as father suspects but they could be survivors from different sentient space-faring civilizations. The AI or whatever it is could be broadcasting information on how to build dark photon technology, claim that it's from God, including bat-shit insane religious tenants, which convinces members of those alien civilizations to form militant authoritarian religions which are highly aggressive against non-believers, only for those civilizations to destroy themselves in religious war using the technology that they're given. Some of these civilizations have been able to send expeditions, but are destroyed when the AI impregnates their dark photon androids. Any survivors end up eeking out a nomadic life on a harsh planet and are slowly wiped out by a genetic bottleneck. It's a great survival tactic: convince your enemies to destroy themselves.

Last edited:

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So where does the giant flying serpent god thing fit in with that?

Grez

Molten Core Raider
So where does the giant flying serpent god thing fit in with that?

It's not a god, it's just a tool used to destroy the expeditions that are sent to Kepplar 22b: the AI impregnates any dark photon android sent, they give birth to the flying serpent creatures, which go on a rampage, destroying the expeditions. The Necromancers are hard enough to kill (Remember Earth was destroyed by the atheists with nuclear bombs, and that failed to do the job of killing off the Necromancers) I bet these serpent things are much harder to kill and much more destructive. The expeditions carry the seeds of their own destruction and AI germinates them ;)

Kepplar 22b might not even be the AI's homeworld. It could be an outpost with a specific function, like the planet in Prometheus is to the engineers.

Speaking of genetic bottlenecks, 6 fetuses are insufficient to create a self-sustaining human colony: Minimum viable population - Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Ya, within just a couple generations, there would be heavy inbreeding assuming all 6 children lived into adulthood and produced offspring of their own. You would have to go full Gattica and began to individually alter the genes of each child to avoid massive problems.

• 1Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wait that was the season finale?

lcGhQy0.gif

Oldbased

> Than U
I am now convinced more than ever that the rona has taken a hard toll on the minds of writers and people in Hollywood. Could be Trump, but I suspect rona. Could be Trumprona since he defeated it faster than a flying snake could suck off an andriod.

Jozu

I mean....what the fuck was going on in the heads of the writers when they decided to do this for the finale?

Think of all the different ways they could have went with the android baby angle. So many more interesting paths they could have taken. Android/Human hybrid that turns out to be the chosen one or whatever, or they could of done something where she just birthed a straight up human baby and had a scenario where she was able to now populate via her own body.

ANYTHING besides a giant flying serpent god thing. How did that get the green light? Like who came up with that solution? "What if like, she gave birth to a snake?! But it flies! And it grows super fast and ends up turning into a type of mythological sky god!" Wut.

Also, what the fuck was up with them flying down the hole into the planets core but then somehow flew THROUGH it and came back out the other side? What the fuck?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grez

Molten Core Raider
I mean....what the fuck was going on in the heads of the writers when they decided to do this for the finale?

Think of all the different ways they could have went with the android baby angle. So many more interesting paths they could have taken. Android/Human hybrid that turns out to be the chosen one or whatever, or they could of done something where she just birthed a straight up human baby and had a scenario where she was able to now populate via her own body.

ANYTHING besides a giant flying serpent god thing. How did that get the green light? Like who came up with that solution? "What if like, she gave birth to a snake?! But it flies! And it grows super fast and ends up turning into a type of mythological sky god!" Wut.

Also, what the fuck was up with them flying down the hole into the planets core but then somehow flew THROUGH it and came back out the other side? What the fuck?
Maybe the serpent emits some kind of shield

• 1Worf

Jozu

I never thought of that, do you mean like some kind of planetary atmospheric shield? Like, is it a good serpent god?

Grez

Molten Core Raider
I never thought of that, do you mean like some kind of planetary atmospheric shield? Like, is it a good serpent god?
No, like maybe a personal shield, like starships do in Star Trek or like Master Chief in Halo. Maybe it was big enough to encompass the shuttle and protect it from the core.

This would explain why the Atheist nations were unable to destroy the Necromancers with nukes.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have to say, I read about the finale and wanted to see this for myself, people tend to be reactionary sometimes. But fucking loooooooooooooool what was that?

I'm still on board, the show is great. If they'd had one more show to kind of round out the season it would have been better, but the cliffhanger thing can work too.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Binged through the show, kept myself to 1 episode a day so I'd have time to process and think about it. I really, really, really enjoyed the show its a 10/10 for me. It presents some really huge big concept ideas and lets you spin your own theories about things, which is very cool.

For me, I took the serpents as Necromancer 2.0, created as AIs by an alien race that ended up wiping them out, creating tunnels in the process, etc and some remnant (the "prisoner" in the cube) took advantage of Mother to rebirth itself. Simple and concise, explains all the whispering and hallucinations, everything aimed at that goal.

The first half, especially the world building, is definitely stronger than the second half, where it gets a bit maudlin with "making babies is the most powerful thing a sentient creature can do!" but it was all still extremely compelling. Mother was a fantastic character and actress, I was constantly absolutely terrified by her Necromancer "side" but also really sympathized at times with her character. Just like spiders or allligators there was really something primal about a Witch archetype.

Its too bad the title of the show is so terrible, I think its gonna turn off a lot of people. Otherwise this was an amazing TV series. It reminded me a lot of Dune, Blade Runner, and a touch of Warhammer. No doubt season 2 won't be that good, really only the first half of season 1 was incredible then every episode was slightly worse but I'll still watch.

There's a Raised by Wolves podcast which seems pretty good, only listened to 1 episode so far but it doesn't summarize the show, it talks about concepts like the first episode discusses whether AIs can be moral and the second talks about how feasible it would be to travel to Kepler 22-b.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

So you had zero problem with the finale and the giant flying serpent god?

• 1Worf

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You have to admit, that's one fucking hell of a cliffhanger to leave off on.

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
So you had zero problem with the finale and the giant flying serpent god?

it was not at all what I expected the show to go, I really thought she was gonna make a android/human hybrid ala Picard, so for me a big surprise is not bad. It also ties back to the very beginning, SOMETHING created those giant tunnels on the planet so that was interesting.

More philosophically I really like the idea of some entity manipulated all the newcomers to its planet to achieve its goal, creating something horrific and potentially insanely powerful and utterly alien. It figured out Mother's weaknesses purely from observation and exploited it ruthlessly, you could read the horror and despair on her face after she realized what she had done and potentially doomed humanity, which is a nice juxtaposition to the lies she was fed about how "her baby" was really the mission and it was the future of humanity and her inner turmoil about androids, being a necromancer, having kids.

There are all kinds of things to nitpick on, like it makes no fucking sense to travel "through" a planet - the extreme heat at the core would melt everything, gravity would reach zero at the center so you'd just hover around completely fucked, the pressure of surrounding material would crush you instantly, on and on but eh sometimes you just gotta flow with the story.

I do think season 2 will probably fuck everything up and the story will go to really shitty places, and I wasn't as big a fan on the emphasis of motherhood that the second half set down, but in a meta sense those are absolutely fundamental questions to any group that wants to restart civilization, so it was pretty interesting to see how few of them really understood the edge of the void they were on. Even on the verge of extinction they happily killed each other. The ending doubled that to me, humanity thrives not because we're particularly clever but we'll overwhelm our enemies with overwhelming numbers.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

The whole thing has been very garden of eden like allegory and giant servants was a running thing so it was not totally out of left field.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They would be guilty of neither Showing (the best storytelling) or Telling (the fallback storytelling) us about the lamprey absorbing energy directly from its surroundings (unlike doing both on it eating fluids); *but* if it did, that could be a way for the lander to survive the center of the planet AND would give the critter all the energy it needed to grow giant size. Otherwise, yeh, it's unexplained lost-level bullshit.

of course, if it did just suck in energy, then the other android shoulda been an empty husk too just from proximity.

They made a point of having Father mention he was going to replenish the lander’s bio-fuel. The intestinal parasite was able to feed off android fuel-blood and human blood... so, why couldn’t it suck down the lander’s bio-fuel?