Raised by Wolves

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
No, they embrace it in their inner circles and pretend it's divine power and blessings from whatever deity they worship. Making sure knowledge is kept under wraps for the masses to keep them subservient to "holy leaders".

I think it depends on the society. The mayans certainly used this approach for complex math and sciences, but then groups like the amish take a completely different approach of shunning technology that exists for convenience. In islamic society you can see a progression through alternate stages as well. Early islamic embraced technology and science very strongly, thinking that an understanding of nature lead to an understanding of god's creation. Today it's the exact opposite. Reading books is wrong because god already taught us all we need to know in the Quran.

I think the religion shown in this series is probably most akin to an early islam.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well, I guess the qualifier would be "for any religious society that is also a world power". The Amish have never been a world power.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Well, I guess the qualifier would be "for any religious society that is also a world power". The Amish have never been a world power.

When the people embrace technology they can step up to the world stage. It's fair to say islam was a world power while it embraced technology, and in the 1400s where the west became a world power it was during the height of them accepting technology. It's hard to say what role the religion itself had in that embrace in both instances, since the society and the religion aren't necessarily the same thing.

One of the things I enjoy about this show is how stupid and pointless the differences between both sides seems. And considering how the war turned out pretty close to a tie, I don't think its fair to say that the Mithraics had a massive technological advantage. Just enough to edge out a victory and try to restart.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
On the topic of "water cooler" talk: The weeks leading up to GoT season 8 was amazing at work for that. The actual theorizing about what would happen was way more enjoyable than the actual season.

So I think it's still alive, but no doubt it's nowhere near what it used to be thanks to the amount of content we have now. Shit, I usually walk through the office and catch people watching Steven Crowder more than I actually talk entertainment with people anymore. I do really like the release format though. Don't make me wait 4 months, but release it over the course of 5 weeks and keep it in the public mind for a bit.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah maybe so. I was under the assumption that most hyper religious societies often shun technology and science.

this is a hillsong church service.
190213-hillsong-church-conference-ac-710p_a6385771ea0e4382513f808c1f883fcc.fit-760w.jpg

i know it's not exactly what you were talking about in terms of space ships and weapons and all that, but there is a pretty big misconception that religion is inherently anti science, and by proxy, anti-technology.

most religions will use whatever means necessary to "spread the good word" and if that means a space-faring dreadnought with nuclear capabilities, then so be it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grez

Molten Core Raider
I think it depends on the society. The mayans certainly used this approach for complex math and sciences, but then groups like the amish take a completely different approach of shunning technology that exists for convenience. In islamic society you can see a progression through alternate stages as well. Early islamic embraced technology and science very strongly, thinking that an understanding of nature lead to an understanding of god's creation. Today it's the exact opposite. Reading books is wrong because god already taught us all we need to know in the Quran.

I think the religion shown in this series is probably most akin to an early islam.

That would explain why they were at war with the "Atheists" and probably everyone else: early Islam

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
When the people embrace technology they can step up to the world stage. It's fair to say islam was a world power while it embraced technology, and in the 1400s where the west became a world power it was during the height of them accepting technology. It's hard to say what role the religion itself had in that embrace in both instances, since the society and the religion aren't necessarily the same thing.

One of the things I enjoy about this show is how stupid and pointless the differences between both sides seems. And considering how the war turned out pretty close to a tie, I don't think its fair to say that the Mithraics had a massive technological advantage. Just enough to edge out a victory and try to restart.

I guess it's a tie if you call destroying the earth and human race a tie

Cybsled

this is a hillsong church service.

i know it's not exactly what you were talking about in terms of space ships and weapons and all that, but there is a pretty big misconception that religion is inherently anti science, and by proxy, anti-technology.

most religions will use whatever means necessary to "spread the good word" and if that means a space-faring dreadnought with nuclear capabilities, then so be it.

It will support whatever helps its message and helps it maintain power and control.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It's worth remembering that GOT didn't explode truly into a mainstream phenomenon until the Red Wedding

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I seem to remember GoT being a mainstream phenomenon before that episode.

That was like end of season 3 wasn't it?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

GoT was definitely huge before that - but it did probably explode to a different level aftef that.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
GoT was super popular after Ned Stark lost his head.

• 3Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
GoT was popular before Ned Stark lost his head. Then, people got upset that he lost his head. It really blew up after that, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well this show has completely lost me. I'll watch the final episode just to be done with it but I could care less what happens at this point.

There were a few cool sci fi scenes but man the last 4 episodes have gone nowhere.

Other then the rapist getting his head crushed in.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Some of the decisions made on this show are truly bizarre.

From small things like the retarded looking flight helmets to the entire necromancer angle. She is immensely powerful, but is held back by a stupid manufactured weakness simply in order to create conflict and struggle.

Not only that but for an advanced Android mother is incredibly stupid. She is naive for no reason, overly curious to the point it basically makes her human.

And then the whole creator asking what she wants thing. Really? I thought her purpose was to raise human children on a new world, but the guy who made her decides he wants to implore what she REALLY desires?! Wut. She is an android! They keep giving her these fallible human qualities for no reason at all.

Edit: Another thing that bothers me is her destroying the arc space ship. It was done so quickly and seemed so insignificant. It was mentioned maybe twice afterwards, like it was an afterthought, even though it should be one of the most important/emotionally impactful events in the show.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Some of the decisions made on this show are truly bizarre.

From small things like the retarded looking flight helmets to the entire necromancer angle. She is immensely powerful, but is held back by a stupid manufactured weakness simply in order to create conflict and struggle.

Not only that but for an advanced Android mother is incredibly stupid. She is naive for no reason, overly curious to the point it basically makes her human.

And then the whole creator asking what she wants thing. Really? I thought her purpose was to raise human children on a new world, but the guy who made her decides he wants to implore what she REALLY wants?! Wut. She is an android! They keep giving her these fallible human qualities for no reason at all.

Edit: Another thing that bothers me is her destroying the arc space ship. It was done so quickly and seemed so insignificant. It was mentioned maybe twice afterwards, like it was an afterthought, even though it should be one of the most important/emotionally impactful events in the show.

The first few eps were ok, but they clearly ran out of ideas after them. I'm just watching it now to see what kind of dumb things they can pinch out.

• 1Solidarity

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Yeah, I remember hearing my first "normal" (IE non-nerd) friends talk about it midway through season 1, with how shocked they were the kid got pushed out the window and the incest. So it was popular even before Ned's head came off. But Ned's execution and then the red wedding both sparked reaction video waves that really made things crazier, that's when it began dominating social media 24/7.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Can we talk about how this show is just Dark Souls in space instead of fucking Game of Thrones? It still hurts where season 8 touched me.