Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Due to the recommendations it got here:

Hell or High Water. 9 / 10

Very well acted, Jeff Bridges naturally, but it was good to see Chris Pine could also bring a lot to his character.

Also well paced, it took it's time with some things, but it was all for a purpose. Had a similar feel to: No Country for Old Men.
That is because they are both westerns.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
A coworker of mine watches literally every zombie movie ever made, shit or not. He also has fairly shit taste himself. So when he recommended a severely low-budget movie on Amazon Prime called The Battery, I was skeptical to say the least. Amazon Prime will, I think anyway, put your high school media project up for viewing if you ask them to. That's how shit some of their shows/movies are.

They probably made this movie for a few thousand dollars, although I have no idea how much shit like cameras and editing and all that really costs, so who the fuck knows. But it can't have been very much at all. It is basically two guys roaming around the countryside after a zombie apocalypse. One guy sort of embraces the hand he has been dealt, the other guy is kind of in denial (listens to headphones instead of listening for motherfucking zombies, for example).

It was surprisingly good, all things considered. Not anything to blow you away, but this is what they mean when they talk about character driven movies. Aside from a few zombies and a couple of other humans, 95% of the movie is just the two of them coping with their situation and each other. A lot of stuff is off camera too, probably so they didn't have to spend money on special effects or paying actors/extras more, etc. And honestly, it works just fine, as your imagination supplies a better idea than actually showing it would have. There's a particularly tense scene at the end where all of the action is not only off camera, but we literally sit there and watch the other guy wait anxiously to find out what happened. It felt like a full 5 minutes, but probably wasn't, and it was some of the most tense 5 minutes I've ever watched.

There's also a pretty funny scene that raises the question of how hot a "fresh" female zombie actually is. I laughed my ass off, while also admitting I might have done the same thing.

Anyway, I don't want to make you think it is an amazing movie, but it is FAR better than I expected. I'm gonna give it 6/10 because of how well it did what it set out to do, but you need to realize it is slooooooow, on purpose. It held my interest, but it might not hold yours.

P.S. Jesus, I just looked it up. They made this fucking movie for $6000, and while I have no real desire to re-watch it, I'd rather see this 1000 times over hundreds of movies that had budgets in the millions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In The Tall Grass - 6/10 - Based off of a short story by Stephen King and his son, Joe Hill, a bit of a mind screw/time fuckery movie. Was decent enough.

I would give this one a 7.5 based on just a fresh idea instead of the regurgitated bullshit the horror genre has turned into.

Still I did not like the ending that much, and also I would have liked this movie to explain WTF the stone was. (some backstory?)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

Portals 4/10 - anthology about cosmic black portals/doors appearing all around the world mind controlling people to walk through them and disappear. Started off ok, but just turned into a confusing mess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
A coworker of mine watches literally every zombie movie ever made, shit or not. He also has fairly shit taste himself. So when he recommended a severely low-budget movie on Amazon Prime called The Battery, I was skeptical to say the least. Amazon Prime will, I think anyway, put your high school media project up for viewing if you ask them to. That's how shit some of their shows/movies are.

They probably made this movie for a few thousand dollars, although I have no idea how much shit like cameras and editing and all that really costs, so who the fuck knows. But it can't have been very much at all. It is basically two guys roaming around the countryside after a zombie apocalypse. One guy sort of embraces the hand he has been dealt, the other guy is kind of in denial (listens to headphones instead of listening for motherfucking zombies, for example).

It was surprisingly good, all things considered. Not anything to blow you away, but this is what they mean when they talk about character driven movies. Aside from a few zombies and a couple of other humans, 95% of the movie is just the two of them coping with their situation and each other. A lot of stuff is off camera too, probably so they didn't have to spend money on special effects or paying actors/extras more, etc. And honestly, it works just fine, as your imagination supplies a better idea than actually showing it would have. There's a particularly tense scene at the end where all of the action is not only off camera, but we literally sit there and watch the other guy wait anxiously to find out what happened. It felt like a full 5 minutes, but probably wasn't, and it was some of the most tense 5 minutes I've ever watched.

There's also a pretty funny scene that raises the question of how hot a "fresh" female zombie actually is. I laughed my ass off, while also admitting I might have done the same thing.

Anyway, I don't want to make you think it is an amazing movie, but it is FAR better than I expected. I'm gonna give it 6/10 because of how well it did what it set out to do, but you need to realize it is slooooooow, on purpose. It held my interest, but it might not hold yours.

P.S. Jesus, I just looked it up. They made this fucking movie for $6000, and while I have no real desire to re-watch it, I'd rather see this 1000 times over hundreds of movies that had budgets in the millions.
I have this movie and it is pretty solid for an indy flick. I wss going to tell you it cost 6k to make but i saw your edit down there at the bottom.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

I would give this one a 7.5 based on just a fresh idea instead of the regurgitated bullshit the horror genre has turned into.

Still I did not like the ending that much, and also I would have liked this movie to explain WTF the stone was. (some backstory?)
it did. it was an plant based Old God. a seed, spreading roots into the ground.

Caliane

7/10 Assimilate on Netflix.

Starts out seemingly pretty weak teen drama horror. gets very good mid-nearly the end. Very end is weak.

Caliane

6/10 Rattlesnake on Netflix.

This movie makes a catastrophic error in the very beginning.
A youngish mother moving out west, is traveling with her young daughter. Flat tire in the middle of the desert, pulls over to change it. and the daughter wanders off the road into the brush.
Gets bitten by a Rattlesnake. Flat tire, middle of the desert, no cell phone service, and a 5 yr old girl, bitten by a rattlesnake. The first 5 minutes of this movie is more terrifying then the rest of the movie combined.

she grabs the girl, and starts walking. 10s later finds an inexplicable trailer she apparently just didnt notice.. weird lady offers to help, and will discuss payment later. lady vanishes, and the girls wounds do to. Then the rest of the movie is the witch sending her stolen souls to demand payment of another soul, in exchange for the girls life. And none of this is remotely as terrifying, or heart wrenching as just getting bitten by a rattlesnake away from help.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
7/10 Assimilate on Netflix.

Starts out seemingly pretty weak teen drama horror. gets very good mid-nearly the end. Very end is weak.

i really liked this one. I hope they have a sequel. 8/10

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
The 2nd Pacific Rim movie ( fuck I can't even give a shit enough to check what its called )

Anyways, it turned up on one of the streaming services. I knew it was supposed to be bad, but Jesus it was bad. At some stage in the writing process someone said "Hey, lets get one of the guys that was comedy relief in the first film, how about we make him the main bad guy in this one" the reaction to that should have been that 'get's thrown out the window meme. . . . no they actually went with it.

The only thing I liked was that Scott Eastwood, being like a clone of his father. I thought that was kinda cool.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I just recently re-watched American History X on Netflix.

They removed the curb stomping scene. What the hell? The movie makes almost no sense without that pivotal scene.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. It's at the beginning of the movie when his car is getting robbed right?

Rime

<Donor>
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. It's at the beginning of the movie when his car is getting robbed right?

It is. But the 'curb stomp' happens at 54 minutes into the film.

The prison rape scene is also present.

Both were 'removed' in various overseas versions at one point or another, but Netflix has the proper cut, as brutal as it may be.

Goatface

3022 - A group of astronauts living in the haunting emptiness of deep space awake to find earth has suffered an extinction level event. Omar Epps, Kate Walsh
5/10 slow, dark (as in the budget didn't include for more than 1 light bulb per scene) , depressing

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
From Dusk till Dawn - 8/10. Still holds up after all these years. Unapologetic over-the-top action/horror fun.

• 1Like

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pale Rider - 7.5/10 Never seen this before! Solid Eastwood western for sure, although not a patch on the Sergio Leone stuff.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Crocodile Dundee - 7/10

It has some pacing issues and hasn't aged too well, but it's still a fun little movie with some memorable scenes. The ending scene in the subway is great.