Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
In the Shadow of the Moon : it was in a "the films you missed in 2019" list that had some films I really liked (One Cut of the Dead !). The zero spoiler review is that it starts pretty well and has potential but then it gets increasingly dumber by the minute. Just to elaborate :

So this movie is in part about time travel. It certainly does not change the fact Primer is still the only movie where time travel makes sense - but the price for it is having a story that is basically impossible to understand. But the main problem I have with this film is the sour taste it left in my mouth. Let me explain : a couple decades ago when watching Dragon Ball Z (which aired around here literally a decade before it became a thing in the US for some reason), there is this episode where Trunks arrives from the future to warn Son Goku & co that the world is being devastated by robots. Instead of going immediately to where the robots are being built to crush the skulls of a couple engineers, Son Goku & co decide that they like a good challenge and will train hard during the next decade to be ready for the robots. I remember finding that totally dumb. After seeing In the Shadow of the Moon, I came to realize that the opposite alternative is worse. Here we have someone going in the past to kill people so their ideas, which lead to a deadly civil war, cannot spread. Can you think of something more fascistic than that ? Suddenly, Son Goku sounds like a pillar of morality : you don't travel to the past to kill people for their ideas, you go to the past so that people can hone other ideas and be ready to fight on the dialectic battlefield the rotten ideas that lead to a civil war.

I hated that movie.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Spenser Confidential. I thought this was alright if you like Wahlberg. I didn't realize this was actually a "Spenser for Hire" movie until they introduced Hawk and I put it together. It is just your basic buddy detective type action movie. Fine for background watching while your doing other shit or just want something easy to watch. Also I think this is the first time I've seen Iliza Shlesinger in a prominent movie role.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The Grudge (2020)

Actually not that bad? It's set up like the first movie with some parallel storytelling along a couple different time periods and groups of characters but it's just really, really pointless. Unless the plan was to make something just to hold on to the license a while longer I have no idea why you would make it at all.

• 1Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard
8/10 for this remake only because of the actress.

31a.gif

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just watched Fortress and Fortress 2... I cannot believe that Fortress 2 was from 2000! My mind is blown.

Fortress 1 was awesome 8/10. Chris Lambert, Kurtwood Smith, Jeffery Combs! And Clifton Collins, the whole time I was like "that dude! who is that guy!" He went on to be in like everything. Pure early 90s awesomeness.

Fortress 2 wasn't as great but you get Balon Greyjoy and the dude from White Collar in roles and Pam Grier *rawr*. 6/10

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Just watched Fortress and Fortress 2... I cannot believe that Fortress 2 was from 2000! My mind is blown.

Fortress 1 was awesome 8/10. Chris Lambert, Kurtwood Smith, Jeffery Combs! And Clifton Collins, the whole time I was like "that dude! who is that guy!" He went on to be in like everything. Pure early 90s awesomeness.

Fortress 2 wasn't as great but you get Balon Greyjoy and the dude from White Collar in roles and Pam Grier *rawr*. 6/10

Watched it were? I don't see it on amazon/netflix.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

Hah, I didn't even know they made a sequel. I remember liking the original.

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Terminator : Dark Fate

I didn't hate it and it was definitely better than Genysis. The first action sequence I thought was really good and wasn't sure why people were as hard on it but then as the movie went on I started to see why. The dialogue gets really clunky with some crappy CGI and outlandish action sequences. I could see a decent movie hiding in there though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

Underwater, 6/10, it was enjoyable, would have been a solid 7 if kristen stewart had some tits, ass and hair. normally don't like T.J. Miller being T.J. Miller, but he was good.

Bad Boys for Life, 7/10, maybe just the timing, but i laughed my ass off and really enjoyed everything until last 1/4. certainly nothing really new and way over the top, but fun.

Outlaws (2017) 2/10, Australian 1% biker gang, that doesn't do much real biker shit. mostly about leader denying to himself that he is gay after getting in jail and the vp trying save his mentally challenged brother from the rest of the gang.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just watched How to Fix a Drug Scandal on Netflix about the failings of 2 different Massachusetts drug labs and the ensuing fallout/scandal.

Not a good documentary to watch if you're a feminist. Doesn't paint a good picture of women running the show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Underwater, 6/10, it was enjoyable, would have been a solid 7 if kristen stewart had some tits, ass and hair. normally don't like T.J. Miller being T.J. Miller, but he was good.

Watching this now. She really is flat as a fucking board.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
The Captain 2019.

If you like war flicks and something to watch, I loved it. Stay for the credits.

Szlia

I had it on my shelf for months and finally watched Denis Villeneuve's Enemy. Did not work for me. It's well crafted and acted, but the tension at the core of the story is 100% artificial so it was impossible for me to care. There are hints here or there that could lead to something vaguely akin to a plot with stakes, but these remain like scattered puzzle pieces that may as well not belong to the same puzzle. It's an adaptation from a book (The Double) by Portuguese Nobel prize winner José Saramago, so maybe that works better in book form ? People compare this film to some of David Lynch's films, but I don't think it works in the same way. The events in Enemy are too mundane to ever give the feeling that anything is possible, that reality is at a constant risk of losing its footing. You don't understand the motivations and behavior of the main character and you feel that something might be afoot, but a Lynch film would push the abstraction further : you would simply not understand what is going on, but with the crushing feeling that something very very bad is around the corner (sometime even literally, like in a famous scene of Mulholland Drive).

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I had it on my shelf for months and finally watched Denis Villeneuve's Enemy. Did not work for me. It's well crafted and acted, but the tension at the core of the story is 100% artificial so it was impossible for me to care. There are hints here or there that could lead to something vaguely akin to a plot with stakes, but these remain like scattered puzzle pieces that may as well not belong to the same puzzle. It's an adaptation from a book (The Double) by Portuguese Nobel prize winner José Saramago, so maybe that works better in book form ? People compare this film to some of David Lynch's films, but I don't think it works in the same way. The events in Enemy are too mundane to ever give the feeling that anything is possible, that reality is at a constant risk of losing its footing. You don't understand the motivations and behavior of the main character and you feel that something might be afoot, but a Lynch film would push the abstraction further : you would simply not understand what is going on, but with the crushing feeling that something very very bad is around the corner (sometime even literally, like in a famous scene of Mulholland Drive).
I liked it for its acting and cinematography, but I agree, that the plot was kinda meh.
Only Lynch comparision I know of was its cinematography, not the plot/setting itself even though I can see a Lost Highway similarity. But Lynch is just something else.