Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Juvarisx

Florida
The Fright Night remake definitely exceeded expectations. It's maybe the best of that era of reboot attempts.

If nothing else its always fun to watch Colin Farrell and David Tenant get into a role, and they both acted the hell out of the material they were given. McLovin actually did really well in the movie too, in retrospect is had a hell of a cast for what it was.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Szlia

I am continuing my deep dive in all the anime feature films I missed in the last decade (or more) and would like to point out 3 very good ones that I did not even know existed : The Empire of Corpses, Harmony and Genocidal Organ.

These three films (two from 2015 and one from 2017) are adaptations of the sci-fi books of the late Project Itoh. All three are unrelated but work with a similar structure : in a society deeply altered by some technology, a mysterious antagonist found a fault in the system that threatens the stability of the world as we know it (or rather as the charcters know it). The main character, both on a personal and professional quest, goes after the antagonist. A quest that will raise a number of existential and philosophical questions.

With this outline, you have The Empire of Corpses, set in a steam-punky Victorian era during which corpses are reanimated with flawed manufactured souls, Harmony, set in a distant future where everybody's health is monitored and controlled by an overbearing "admedistration" and Genocidal Organ, set in a near future (well... technically in the past, but the book was written in 2007 and the film released in 2017 so 2020 was the future !) where there seem to be something rotten with the emotional inhibitors of soldiers.

The Empire of Corpses is wildly original and there is a dark political comedy element to it to have basically an underclass of zombies used for unskilled labor, domesticity or canon fodder. Harmony also wrestle with original themes around consciousness and agency, but the society it depicts is not as unique. The best of the lot for me is Genocidal Organ. It jumps from wet ops to spycraft to philosophical musing with grace, while staying captivating the whole way through. There is a little too much tech for the sake of showing near-future potential techs and the grandiose plan of the antagonist ends up being a bit lame, but other than that it's one of the best and most compelling action-thriller in years.

Warning: horrible and loud anime music at the end of the trailer (luckily only used for the closing credits of the movie)

PS : If some of you have recommendations for recent anime films, go for it. I am currently just going through the lists of stuff that was nominated for awards in Japan during the last decade, but I am sure there are good things that fall in the cracks of this approach.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Watched prisoners again, Movie needed more recognition and awards for Jake and Hugh Jackman's performance

• 2Like

Homsar

I totally glossed over this one. 2013 wasnt a very lounge year for me though. Thanks
Whatever what year it was, it was the best movie that year, there might have been one other movie that topped it that year

Homsar

Rush and Prisoners were my favorite movies that year followed by Wolf, and Oblivion for the fx. Very weak year for movies

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wolf of Wallstreet
I cant like that movie. Considering how big of a piece of shit Belfort was irl, a bit shitty to make a movie glorifying and showing off how awesome his life was. The ending especially.

Also the whole fraud and financial crimes with the funding of that movie. A bit ironic.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I cant like that movie. Considering how big of a piece of shit Belfort was irl, a bit shitty to make a movie glorifying and showing off how awesome his life was. The ending especially.

Also the whole fraud and financial crimes with the funding of that movie. A bit ironic.
True story. I had a guy come in for a sales job. During the interview he mentioned that he worked for Belfort before they all got busted. This guy agreed to give up his series 7 and avoid jail. He came off as like it was "cool" and showed he could sell.
I nodded, smiled and asked him to leave my property.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

I started the book and in his own words he was a manipulative degenerate of the highest order. I gave up on it after he went in to detail about how he used money to control people. I thought it was going to be something more like Moneyball or The Big Short and less of a dude recanting an antidote about his wife fingering herself as his naked toddler daughter crossed the room from her to him.

Yeah.

• 1WTF

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I started the book and in his own words he was a manipulative degenerate of the highest order. I gave up on it after he went in to detail about how he used money to control people. I thought it was going to be something more like Moneyball or The Big Short and less of a dude recanting an antidote about his wife fingering herself as his naked toddler daughter crossed the room from her to him.

Yeah.
Dude is a scumbag of the highest order. Always was, always will be.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Under The Skin: fucking sucked.

How can you make a move with Scarlett Johansson nude that sucks? They did it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hudson Hawk 6/10 - I'm being gracious here because my memories were very much of enjoying the movie. I remembered going in that it was nonsense, quirky, jarring, but wow just not how bad it all is. It is different watching it alone and laughing at how bad it is but watching it with someone else really drove home how poorly all the concepts mix together. I still love it for how bad it is, but it is bad.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 9/10 - Tis the season and this is probably my #1 Thanksgiving movie, not even sure what a close second place would be. Watching this puts me in that "they just don't make movies like this anymore" place. Everything from Steve Martin being a complete asshole to John Candy being such a loveable annoying bastard. The entire automobile sequence from the cigarette > mess around > jacket > going the wrong way > semi trucks > car on fire puts me in tears laughing. John Candy laughing as the devil seals the whole thing. What an incredible movie. Plus it gave us one of the greatest GIFs with the "sure, sure" part.

planes trains and automobiles satan GIF by absurdnoise

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hudson Hawk 6/10 - I'm being gracious here because my memories were very much of enjoying the movie. I remembered going in that it was nonsense, quirky, jarring, but wow just not how bad it all is. It is different watching it alone and laughing at how bad it is but watching it with someone else really drove home how poorly all the concepts mix together. I still love it for how bad it is, but it is bad.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 9/10 - Tis the season and this is probably my #1 Thanksgiving movie, not even sure what a close second place would be. Watching this puts me in that "they just don't make movies like this anymore" place. Everything from Steve Martin being a complete asshole to John Candy being such a loveable annoying bastard. The entire automobile sequence from the cigarette > mess around > jacket > going the wrong way > semi trucks > car on fire puts me in tears laughing. John Candy laughing as the devil seals the whole thing. What an incredible movie. Plus it gave us one of the greatest GIFs with the "sure, sure" part.

planes trains and automobiles satan GIF by absurdnoise
Hudson Hawk a 6/10? Seriously?

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity