Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
which version? did we have this discussion here? the original theatrical release was not as GREEN as the blueray.
This guy would lose his shit if he saw what Cameron did to T2. The 4k version went crazy with whatever effect "removes" film grain so theres basically no film grain in conversely everything is incredibly smooth waxy looking, detail obliterated.

Heres a 770 page thread of av nerds having every last one of their jimmies rustled over it;

Heres a site that gives a great comparison;

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This guy would lose his shit if he saw what Cameron did to T2. The 4k version went crazy with whatever effect "removes" film grain so theres basically no film grain in conversely everything is incredibly smooth waxy looking, detail obliterated.

Heres a 770 page thread of av nerds having every last one of their jimmies rustled over it;

Heres a site that gives a great comparison;

Dam random coincidence as I didn't see this post and just came here to say I'm currently watching a 4k HDR version of T2. Again, I've seen it so many times before but I've noticed so many new examples of stunt doubles for Arnie and Jon Connor especially during the motorcycle pursuit. There's examples I've always known were there since I was a kid but so many new ones of stunt doubles with bad wigs lol

Edit: I've definitely not been very pleased or satisfied with both the image quality and audio mix

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anaconda - 10/10 still ridiculous and awesome. John Voight is such a treasure.

Buffy the VS - 7/10 Never knew this was a movie before the show. Knowing the show and the campyness of Buffy, this was a fun watch fueled by early 90s charm.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Creator - Science fiction movie with holes in their head

District 9 vibes but not as good. Visual feast but falls apart when trying to wrap up and gets stupid.

Not worth it

2/5

Renfield
Gratuitous potty mouth and way less funny than expected, good action moments. Meh.

3/5

Us
Weird for sake of being weird, gaping plot holes that never get closed. Plot twist that makes everything worse, pretty much impossible. Stupid waste of time.

1/5

Get Out
Creepy but racist, few nonsensical moments

2/5

Theater Camp
Wholesome, gay

4/5

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There's Something Wrong with the Children - There were parts of this that I really liked and others where it felt very cheap and amateurish. Overall it was a good watch and pretty short by today's standards. Haven't seen Amanda Crew since Silicon Valley and she's still fine. Zach Gilford was great in Friday Night Lights but he hasn't improved much in his acting ability. Kind of went with the odd indie feel of the movie though. Sometimes in these movies it feels like the writers try to inject personal or relationship drama because they think it makes things tense, or we need some huge backstory about why a conflict exists, and in the case here it was kind of stupid and unnecessary. Whatever was going on between the two couples was just poorly written and not needed along with the strange kid stuff. Some of the long one take shots started cool but then felt forced, such as the interior shot when the kids first go missing the next morning.

6/10 seems fine.

The Vigil - Watched it because of looking for the movie below. If I have seen this it has been forever ago because not much of it was familiar. Was pretty creepy and handled decently. Nothing special or spectacular, probably around a 6/10 as well. Worth watching in an October Halloween way but wouldn't recommend it or go out of my way to watch it during the year.

Been trying to find a movie that I watched either last October or in 2021 that came recommended here. I know it was guy, a house, with a chick, some ritual. I thought it was The Vigil, but that's not correct. Then I thought maybe The Pact, but no. Not The Ritual (although that was good too). I checked Robert Eggers, Ari Aster, Dave Bruckner, Ti West, ----

Shit, just found it. A Dark Song, I was way off!

Late start to my 30 Days of Fright move nights.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haunt - Prime video
5/5

Viewer benefits if they've attended a haunted house before

No One Will Save You
Weird enough that I can't declare it a waste a time, but many will think it is. Some might love it.
2/5

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The Pact - I enjoyed this. Very small movie, tight kind of creepy plot. It isn’t mind blowing or anything, standard fare but done well enough to be a seasonal watch or a 1-timer. Bonus points for having Casper Van Dien.

Written and Directed by Nicholas McCarthy, who also did a movie called At the Devil’s Door which I’ll probably watch tonight also. (overnight shift with baby means I just work and sit here and watch movies)

The IMDB rating is less gracious than I am, it was a solid 6/10 in my book

The Pact II - Different Director and Writer than the 1st one. More run time, more characters, more plot, less good. Way less good. This one isn’t even worth bothering to watch it is so generic and bad. Didn’t turn it off or anything, but couldn’t possibly recommend it.

On the positive side it does have Camilla Luddington who you may know as the voice of Lara Croft in recent Tomb Raider games or the voice of Zatanna in DC cartoons. They also managed to get Patrick Fischler who is always good to see.

4/10

Going through a lot of THIS LIST here, which I’d love to see if it is maintained at another site. There’s some very interesting recommendations on it and a lot is free through Tubi or other channels I can get on Roku.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Going through a lot of THIS LIST here, which I’d love to see if it is maintained at another site. There’s some very interesting recommendations on it and a lot is free through Tubi or other channels I can get on Roku.
That list is legit, everything he directly recommends, and about half of his Meh movies are worth watching.

Here Comes the Devil - same vein as Three's Something Wrong With the Children but a slower burn - 8/10

Ravenous - Just watched a short bio about the director and remembered how good this was. Awesome soundtrack by Damon Albarn, great cast, weird movie about eating people that everyone has probably seen - 10/10

Relic - Heard about this during one of the roundup videos by RLM and kind of forgot about it. It showed up on Shudder and I'd forgotten everything that I had heard about it so went in blank. It's not entirely horror, but it's a pretty rough watch due to the subject matter. All of her films have been great, but this one has some difficult topics that it handles really well. Very unique, very well-made and acted, and it can hit home really hard in places. - 10/10

The Crescent - Pretty good slow-burn, atmospheric horror/tension movie. Not hing groundbreaking, but it does what it does well and I didn't regret watching it. Pretty creepy. 7/10

Calvaire - Bizarre French horror. Takes some very weird turns and has great atmosphere - 7/10

The Last Inn - Thsi falls into both "it's so weird it's bad" and "it's so bad it's good". It's nearly nonsensical and is as if a Chinese person watched a Gaillo movie that was hamfistedly made by an Eastern European rich guy and thought that was what an American movie was. There is a full ~8 minutes where they play a full Chinese soap opera song over a montage. I've turned quite a few bad horror movies off in the past month, but I just couldn't bring myself to not finish this one. 10/10

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That list is legit, everything he directly recommends, and about half of his Meh movies are worth watching.

Here Comes the Devil - same vein as Three's Something Wrong With the Children but a slower burn - 8/10

Ravenous - Just watched a short bio about the director and remembered how good this was. Awesome soundtrack by Damon Albarn, great cast, weird movie about eating people that everyone has probably seen - 10/10

Relic - Heard about this during one of the roundup videos by RLM and kind of forgot about it. It showed up on Shudder and I'd forgotten everything that I had heard about it so went in blank. It's not entirely horror, but it's a pretty rough watch due to the subject matter. All of her films have been great, but this one has some difficult topics that it handles really well. Very unique, very well-made and acted, and it can hit home really hard in places. - 10/10

The Crescent - Pretty good slow-burn, atmospheric horror/tension movie. Not hing groundbreaking, but it does what it does well and I didn't regret watching it. Pretty creepy. 7/10

Calvaire - Bizarre French horror. Takes some very weird turns and has great atmosphere - 7/10

The Last Inn - Thsi falls into both "it's so weird it's bad" and "it's so bad it's good". It's nearly nonsensical and is as if a Chinese person watched a Gaillo movie that was hamfistedly made by an Eastern European rich guy and thought that was what an American movie was. There is a full ~8 minutes where they play a full Chinese soap opera song over a montage. I've turned quite a few bad horror movies off in the past month, but I just couldn't bring myself to not finish this one. 10/10
Yeah, to be fair he didn’t recommend The Pact II lol, that one was my doing bc it autoplayed after the 1st ended.

btw; so far At the Devil’s Door is way way better than the 4.8 IMDB rating would imply. Unless the last 3rd of this takes a dump that low of a rating is much too low.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Ravenous is pretty awesome. The "he was licking me" scene was great

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Triangle - Fun little Groundhog Day genre type. A couple of really good scenes, one specifically that was a “wow” moment. Melissa George does okay as the protagonist although a couple of the fights are pretty funny. Didn’t realize she’s been around for so long. The ending was pretty downer, but seemed to fit. The other Hemsworth is in it and has about 10 lines.

6.5/10 seems fair

Berberian Sound Studio - This shit was crazy. Fairly certain by the end I was going insane. Toby Jones is already a funny looking guy but watching him become unraveled trying to do the sound work on a film about the murder of witches and recording sounds for a hot poker being inserted in to a woman’s vagina, was driving me mad. Not sure I’ve seen anything quite like this although it is similar to other descent in to madness stuff.

Haven’t heard of anything else on the Director/Writer’s list (Peter Strickland), but he works with Bjork at one point which just makes sense.

I’m not even sure if this was good or just crazy enough that I loved it. Certainly unique and if you’re in to sound engineering it may appeal to you.

7/10

edit: an interesting essay on the film is here: Berberian Sound Studio - Peter Strickland’s Postmodern Pastiche | CINEACTION

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Triangle - Fun little Groundhog Day genre type. A couple of really good scenes, one specifically that was a “wow” moment. Melissa George does okay as the protagonist although a couple of the fights are pretty funny. Didn’t realize she’s been around for so long. The ending was pretty downer, but seemed to fit. The other Hemsworth is in it and has about 10 lines.

6.5/10 seems fair

Berberian Sound Studio - This shit was crazy. Fairly certain by the end I was going insane. Toby Jones is already a funny looking guy but watching him become unraveled trying to do the sound work on a film about the murder of witches and recording sounds for a hot poker being inserted in to a woman’s vagina, was driving me mad. Not sure I’ve seen anything quite like this although it is similar to other descent in to madness stuff.

Haven’t heard of anything else on the Director/Writer’s list (Peter Strickland), but he works with Bjork at one point which just makes sense.

I’m not even sure if this was good or just crazy enough that I loved it. Certainly unique and if you’re in to sound engineering it may appeal to you.

7/10

edit: an interesting essay on the film is here: Berberian Sound Studio - Peter Strickland’s Postmodern Pastiche | CINEACTION
Watched that movie a few years ago. Liked it enough to pick up the soundtrack. Which i recommend in general if you like experimental music. It's quite an odd little movie, reminds me of old Hammer Horror movies in a way.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went back and did a couple of repeats that were on the list, both well worth it. Kiddo is sleeping for more than 2 hours at a time so might be able to go back to normal sleep schedule :)

The Shrine (7.5/10) - My original comments in this thread still apply, Aaron Ashmore is underrated. He’s always good to see and generally has good stuff. No different here. It is hilarious that he’s so explicitly “We should leave and go home” yet the two chicks just want to get involved so basically everyone dies. Yay! It’s a great flick though, very worth a watch.

Coherence (7.5/10) - The strangest thing about this, immediately, is how it is shot / acted. Hand camera, shake, like you’re a visitor at their dinner party. The script and acting just adds to that because it is just people taking over each other, conversation that starts/stops, small talk. It is almost off putting bc it feels so bad. Wife was intrigued. Then they do a real good job with the plot and Coherence idea. It isn’t perfect but it is cool. My only complaint would be the last 15 minutes or so with Em.

It has one of the guys from Homeland in it, the one who played Max. But special appearance by Nicholas Brendan who gave us Xander in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

New stuff... to me

A Field in England (6.5/10) - This was really cool. Definitely not for everyone. Black and White and “artsy” (I guess?) but it was interesting and actually really damn funny in a few parts. Tons of imagery and allegory.

Ben Wheatley just did Meg 2 so his career has apparently been interesting. I need to watch Kill List. Seems like he was a big thing there for a minute.

Outcast (4/10) - I didn't get this at all. Thought it was boring and cheap. Maybe it just didn't clck. However! Extra special appearance by Karen Gillan for about 5 seconds outta nowhere. Guess this was right before she hit it off on Dr. Who.

The Conspiracy (6/10) - Mocumentary about two guys getting wrapped up in conspiracies and infiltrating a Bohemian Grove type secret society event. This was probably more interesting and crazy when it was released in 2012, but in 2023 it was very meh. It wasn’t bad, I guess, but living in the middle of everything just made this like watching local news, or reading FoH. It was fine just a little played out at this point. I guess no one else liked this guy's stuff because he only did one more movie in 2020 and nothing since?

Blood Glacier (5.5/10) - Scientists find a glacier that is melting due to global warming and it contains an organic substance that starts leaking and mutating animals. I thought this was going to be a knock off of The Thing, and to an extent maybe it is, but it gets crazy and goes way harder in to the monster territory. Could only find it under the name The Station with dubbing. Probably would have enjoyed it more had I really been paying attention, but it didn't grab me in a way that The Thing did. Honestly getting burnt out being up all night watching movies lol. It probably deserves higher, there's some cool creature effects and it goes all in on the crazy mutated animals.

• 2Like

Caliane

Haunt - Prime video 5/5

Viewer benefits if they've attended a haunted house before

Yeah. its weird, theres multiple listings. not all free on prime video. that prime vid link, takes you to the version I watched.

to say more on it.
probably not a must see outside the contexts of halloween movie. but its a very solid entry into these halloween haunt movies.. you don't hate the characters. its shot very well. has a great tone in the beginning, leaving you questioning if its just a great "extreme haunt" with actors fucking with the people, one of the group might be a plant, or somethings actually wrong.
Seems like a movie expressly designed to promote halloween haunted trails.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Watched Dark Harvest last night. Available for rent or purchase on Amazon. I ended up buying it. Really enjoyable. Solid 7 or 8 out of 10 for me. Different take on these kinds of stories.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

There is some really good stuff on this list. Notable mentions for me House of the Devil, Pontypool, Triangle, Lake Mungo, The Innkeepers, Take Shelter, John Dies at the End.

• 1Like