RIFT

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Thanks for bringing this up. Depending on the timing this might be the perfect filler until BFA hits

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Probably my 3rd favorite MMO of all time (VG>EQ>Rift), raiding early on was a great balance of challenge that definitely required individual and raid skill which was evident with the huge gap in clearing of raid content from top end to average guilds. If i didn't just dediate spending time with my GF introducing her into gaming via FFXIV i'd actually do a re-run of rift.

Chloromancer was one of the top 3 classes of any MMO ive played early on when your healing out was primarily dictated by your dps capabilities. I was parsing top 3 in the world on high end raid content and then the fucking idiots changed the mechanics so healing values were more static and I quit shortly after since like ever other fucking MMO they make everything so cookie cutter. Only game i truly enjoyed being a healer instead of a wizard type class and was actually very good at (EQ2 shamans were fairly fun and challenging but sadly boiled doing to non stop curse curing).

I loved when RIFT first game out and only a handful of us on the server were clearing hard dungoens. When every one can just stomp shit right out the gate it makes it feel so less rewarding.....but of course they fucking gave in and nerfed the shit out of everything. Crafting wasn't horrible either, game had plenty of shit to keep you busy.

PVP was such unbalanced chaos it was fun to do but definitely not something a serious pvp'r would probably ultimatley like. I did enjoy the pyro days of blowing people up.

• 1Solidarity

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The most annoying part of this game was the server firsts. It felt like they had a server first kill on every spawn in the game. Like oh no, server first kill of the brown bear in the newbie zone that spawns at loc -59.2 x 23.8. I had some server firsts but they were all like "Server first to loot rough leather"

• 1Worf

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably my 3rd favorite MMO of all time (VG>EQ>Rift), raiding early on was a great balance of challenge that definitely required individual and raid skill which was evident with the huge gap in clearing of raid content from top end to average guilds. If i didn't just dediate spending time with my GF introducing her into gaming via FFXIV i'd actually do a re-run of rift.

Chloromancer was one of the top 3 classes of any MMO ive played early on when your healing out was primarily dictated by your dps capabilities. I was parsing top 3 in the world on high end raid content and then the fucking idiots changed the mechanics so healing values were more static and I quit shortly after since like ever other fucking MMO they make everything so cookie cutter. Only game i truly enjoyed being a healer instead of a wizard type class and was actually very good at (EQ2 shamans were fairly fun and challenging but sadly boiled doing to non stop curse curing).

I loved when RIFT first game out and only a handful of us on the server were clearing hard dungoens. When every one can just stomp shit right out the gate it makes it feel so less rewarding.....but of course they fucking gave in and nerfed the shit out of everything. Crafting wasn't horrible either, game had plenty of shit to keep you busy.

PVP was such unbalanced chaos it was fun to do but definitely not something a serious pvp'r would probably ultimatley like. I did enjoy the pyro days of blowing people up.

RIFT's hard mode dungeons in Alpha / Beta were some of the best MMO dungeons ever made. I think the only thing they are second to imo is The Secret World's NM modes.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I remember I played a melee class, I dont remeber, some type of 2h warrior shit? Anyway, boring as fuck since you could macro all of your shit to be on one button and it would go off in order. It was the only mmo that I would regularly catch myself falling asleep in. Run up to mob pack, 1,1,1,1,1...next...

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
In regards to what Korrupt is saying above - although actual combat was able to be macrod in large part - that's not what made the dungeons difficult. For one - the hard move dungeons when they FIRST came out were extremely unforgiving. It wasn't like "stand in fire take 15% extra damage" It was more like "Stand in fire take 300% extra damage" and it made for really exciting fast paced battles. Positioning mattered even for some trash packs (I distinctly remember one specific dungeon with robots and lasers. I think one of the bosses was a robot Hog maybe? And you could wipe on trash packs there early on before raid gear fairly easily if ONE person in your group was not on point.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Yea I remember those hard mode dungeons being some of the toughest MMO content for the time. I haven't played the game in a while, but if they removed the stupid combat macroing and cleaned up the number of combat actions to something manageable...I definitely look forward to a classic server.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
My favorite warrior pvp build was made just to annoy the fuck out of the other teams healers. I could summon them to me like every 6 seconds, I was super tanky, and could silence them for what felt like 8 out of 12 seconds. I couldn't actually *kill* anyone, but I just found it oddly satisfying to enrage the enemy healers.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
My favorite warrior pvp build was made just to annoy the fuck out of the other teams healers. I could summon them to me like every 6 seconds, I was super tanky, and could silence them for what felt like 8 out of 12 seconds. I couldn't actually *kill* anyone, but I just found it oddly satisfying to enrage the enemy healers.

Especially in... The Crucible? That one spot where people just swarmed. I remember pocket healing for Djpauly and him killing like 10-30 people before finally getting over run.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
And you could wipe on trash packs there early on before raid gear fairly easily if ONE person in your group was not on point.

Yup -- definitely remember the Hard mode dungeons causing epic salt throughout the community. I wonder if this new server will try to restore that original difficulty. It'd probably be a mistake. If my experience on the EQ TLE servers are any indication, most people nostalgic enough to play old stuff like this are pretty god damned awful at gaming.

• 1Solidarity

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yup -- definitely remember the Hard mode dungeons causing epic salt throughout the community. I wonder if this new server will try to restore that original difficulty. It'd probably be a mistake. If my experience on the EQ TLE servers are any indication, most people nostalgic enough to play old stuff like this are pretty god damned awful at gaming.

Everquest progression servers have by far the worst players and guilds I have encountered in any MMO. RIFT has to be better but it really depends on what the "limited" cash shop means.

Especially in... The Crucible? That one spot where people just swarmed. I remember pocket healing for Djpauly and him killing like 10-30 people before finally getting over run.

I remember dueling you in the city and you just playing with me on my Paladin / Warrior.

• 1Solidarity

turbo

Molten Core Raider
There was only 3 groups of us on the server clearing the HM's what so ever early on (2 in our guild, DROW/BOTS) and 1 group of static friends. The HM i remember taking the most work to finally clear was the one with the flying dragon, I just remember when our group finally killed 1st I was so excited I swung my arms in joy and knocked a 64 oz monster mug of captain morgan & yahoo (don't ask) off my desk and it spilled all over my 2nd computer and wall.

I was considering having the gf try the Rift Prime to compare to FFXIV and see if she has a favorite (i'm just tickled she is playing a video game so whatever keeps her interested ~) but just read Prime servers are going to have ends and then you just transfer.....lost all my appeal. Rather they just left it as a fresh new server and then give a paid transfer off if you wanted. Too bad was looking forward to it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
There was only 3 groups of us on the server clearing the HM's what so ever early on (2 in our guild, DROW/BOTS) and 1 group of static friends. The HM i remember taking the most work to finally clear was the one with the flying dragon, I just remember when our group finally killed 1st I was so excited I swung my arms in joy and knocked a 64 oz monster mug of captain morgan & yahoo (don't ask) off my desk and it spilled all over my 2nd computer and wall.

I was considering having the gf try the Rift Prime to compare to FFXIV and see if she has a favorite (i'm just tickled she is playing a video game so whatever keeps her interested ~) but just read Prime servers are going to have ends and then you just transfer.....lost all my appeal. Rather they just left it as a fresh new server and then give a paid transfer off if you wanted. Too bad was looking forward to it.

Huh? If the server catches up with live servers, what's the difference?

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Ok I see now , Prime servers will be seasonal / temporary. I will pass if that is the case unfortunately.

• 1Solidarity

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
but just read Prime servers are going to have ends and then you just transfer.....lost all my appeal. Rather they just left it as a fresh new server and then give a paid transfer off if you wanted. Too bad was looking forward to it.

Do you truly anticipate playing that server throughout the entire lifetime of content before they xfer you off once you're caught up?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Thats the 10 man we got like world third right? (with the "B" team /scoff)
World third eh? Not too shabby.

On the other hand...

WF Akylios.png

Endymion

Trakanon Raider
They're compressing all of their released content into a one year timespan, it wouldn't make sense to try to make the dungeons more difficult when the goal is to have accelerated progression. It also sounds like the souls are just going to be how they are now but limited to 51 points, rather than reflecting how they were during the appropriate time period (which isn't unexpected, but is another strike against this server).

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ok I see now , Prime servers will be seasonal / temporary. I will pass if that is the case unfortunately.

Yeah this is pretty lame. Seems like most feedback from the actual Rift "community" is along these lines also. Maybe they'll take note of it and decide to keep it around. As someone who didn't play much Rift, I'd be interested in a legit progression/permanent non-F2P server.

Valtara

Molten Core Raider
I`m right in the middle of the eternal weapon grind (makes WOW`s pathfinder look like a cake walk )
There is so much shit that needs to be fixed Souls -bugs-ect ,that I can`t see this Prime as anything more then a last ditch cash grab.
And sure as shit they will find some way to have you spend a little more on it.(Optional of course) it`s what they do best now.