Rimworld

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's a setting called Max Colonies you have to change to allow more than one base.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Bought it a few days ago but just started really playing it today. Holy cow, what a lot to take in. Every time I think I'm doing something smart... nope. I had several animal corpses rot before I figured out first to prioritize butchering/cooking... only to find out that even the meals themselves rot. So yeah, apparently you're supposed to build a cooler and set its temperature to below 32 to prevent rotting.

The game is difficult to fully conceptualize because on one hand you have to micromanage the temperatures, roofing, flooring, and beauty levels of your rooms.... but then water, which is the fundamental shared property of all biological life, isn't even a thing in this game?

You have to research bows and arrows, but you start with the ability to produce electricity? It's odd. Not fully intuitive.

Once I get a handle on the goofy levels of both technology and micromanagement I'm sure I'm going to love this game but for now it certainly has a severe learning curve.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You have to research bows and arrows, but you start with the ability to produce electricity? It's odd. Not fully intuitive.

Depends on what you pick to start with. The default option is you've crash landed from an advanced civilization and need to start over, so they had electricity and space flight and whatnot but no need for bows and arrows.

iannis

Musty Nester
There's a lot of little shit to learn with the game, so there is a curve to it.

The game is basically an electronic fishtank. But for the base game it's not so bad. Good sound track too. It's worth turning the music on in this one.

The game very much has its own logic about a lot of things. Half of it is just learning what that is, exactly. It took a while before I built a colony that didn't implode. Watching the little dudes murder each other can be entertaining as well.

Once you understand and decide about architecture, a good majority of the game is organizing and sorting stockpiles so that your little ants are as efficient as possible.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
One thing I like is that it sort of forces you to stop and figure shit out. At one point a wild animal attacked my guy. I killed it but my little dude was bleeding from his leg. I had medicine, I had a guy with medical skill, so there must be a way to stop the bleeding but it really wasn't obvious to me how to do it. Again, this game is really not intuitive at all, so I had to pause and click and read and click and read some more and then I finally figured out how to heal my guy.

And yeah, iannis, the stockpile thing. I figured out how to cool my stockpile down so that my food wouldn't rot, but then it filled up with wood and steel and bricks and shit. So I built another stockpile but then my dudes were taking food to it and it wasn't cooled. So this made me think that there must be a way to store shit without having to cool it. This forced me to pause and click and read and click and read, and I figured out you could choose what stuff gets deposited where. This opened the floodgates and I started making lots of different stockpiles. That part does seem to be a big factor but now I'm realizing how unoptimized my layout is. My dudes have to walk too far to get to the shit they need.

It reminds me of Final Fantasy 12 in a weird way. It's mostly menu driven, and it mainly revolves around using the in-game functions to sort of create a little in-game AI that your dudes then follow. Rather than a battle AI, it's more like a town AI. It's like you create an AI for SimCity, or something like that.

I dig it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I knew most of the stockpile and such from dwarf fortress. This game borrows very heavily from it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I beat a playthrough by launching the ship a couple years ago, but that was before you had to tank a few days' worth of wave attacks while the ship powers up like now.

I've never tried travelling to the LANDED ship though, that looks pretty fucking nuts. Even then you still have to tank the attack waves while the ship powers up.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've been playing a normal difficulty game and getting all the tech. Those bug infestations are nasty. I had never survived long enough to get one on the crazy mode games before.

I made a bazillion pemmican from all the bug meat :D

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well, finnaly had my first real "are you kidding me" ending.

Everythings going fine, just getting up a nice drug trade and slave selling business, 5 colonists so far. refugee comes running in, figure sure, save him, maybe get a couple slaves in the process. Turns out i bit off more then i could chew, and 1 of my colonists gets picked off almost immediatly, followed right after by another being taken down, and needing rescue. Finnaly get the raiders to flee, only to have 1 of my guys flat out die before i can even get em to the hospital. New guy bites it before he even has any use at all.

Running around trying to save the hurt ones, another raid comes in almost immediatly after. Got 2 down in the hospital, only 1 whos able to fight back, try and hold off inside, rather then come in the raiders set a massive fire and burn all my crops, eventually getting to the building. Force buddy outside to try and fight them off, boom headshot goes down instantly. raiders leave, but i got 2 guys both with major infections unconcious, with no doctor left. man in black shows up, runs straight into the building trying to put the fire out, dies to superheated air.

Both patients wake up, first one finds out his wife and friends all died, goes berserk, beats down the other one till shes out on the ground, then runs out, fights a muffalo and dies. Forced to watch as the last one starves to death with no one to rescue her.

I love this game

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

shishare

The last 10 minutes i was just sittin there going "wtf" and laughing my ass off

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
k9txh80fuoe21.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
So, I just discovered this game the other day and I found this review for it. Thanks to this review, I will be purchasing this in the near future.

FunnyReview.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Doing my first real play through of this and I was loving it then one my colonist mined thru a wall and let out some ancient alien droid things, which in about 2 mins flat killed my entire colony. Had it set on only save on exit so I guess start over time for me. Wish I had run into them much earlier I think I was getting way to lucky and it let me get pretty far before a whipe out even though I'm a total newb to the dangers.

shishare

So sappers tunnel past my defenses. Bury my colonists behind a wall and wait for them to come in. Sappers have molotovs and start bombing my food storage, so i send the guys out, 2 die almost instantly from gunshots, back the rest off. Sappers head towards my turrets and get wiped out, but my entire food area is on fire. 6 fucking colonists out of 8 die fighting the fire, from superheated air, Last 2 are in the hospital. Man in black shows up, hes a FUCKING PYRO. starts immediatly running to base, past about 20 corpses, goes pyro, lights the rest of my place on fire, and dies, while my remaining 2 burn to death in the hospital.

FML

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users