Rimworld

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is honestly the worst game I've ever played. It takes so long to even figure out if you're ready to play a game, and you're not even doing something cool, you're hitting a random button like a fucking monkey just waiting to get 'lucky' even though you know you never would. So pretty much every game you start not being able to do something crucial like sweep the literal shit off the floor of your bedroom -- you ever think about how a game with so much survival customization doesn't have a competent sanitation system in place? I think it's on purpose, those aren't dirt marks they're leaving behind, they're shart sprays and shit skid marks I'm 100% convinced. And to really even start playing the good game you need several hours worth of investment and planning and constant bullshit micromanagement of evolutionary abortions via one of the worst user interfaces since vanilla EQ.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This is honestly the worst game I've ever played. It takes so long to even figure out if you're ready to play a game, and you're not even doing something cool, you're hitting a random button like a fucking monkey just waiting to get 'lucky' even though you know you never would. So pretty much every game you start not being able to do something crucial like sweep the literal shit off the floor of your bedroom -- you ever think about how a game with so much survival customization doesn't have a competent sanitation system in place? I think it's on purpose, those aren't dirt marks they're leaving behind, they're shart sprays and shit skid marks I'm 100% convinced. And to really even start playing the good game you need several hours worth of investment and planning and constant bullshit micromanagement of evolutionary abortions via one of the worst user interfaces since vanilla EQ.

Sounds like you should go back to hearthstone.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Never played it. I spend too much time playing Rimworld right now to do anything else, really.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Getting enough slaves early on to cover all your manual labor is indeed an important skill to master.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
There is (or used to be like 6 months ago) a mod that lets you customize your starting colonists, and even save it if you want to start another game with them. Obviously some people would consider that cheating, but after you've pressed that button 8000000 fucking times like you mentioned, you stop caring about what someone else might think of your single player gameplay ethics.

There are also a ton of other mods which were honestly pretty fucking awesome. There was one that introduced something like a Planning or Management skill (I'm going off of fuzzy memories from a long time ago) so you could build a station and someone would sit there and actually manage shit for you, like sending people out hunting when supplies got low, planting when shit needed planting, cutting wood, all that shit that normally you just have to set priorities for and hope you got it right. Again, I have no idea if that shit is still around, or if it maybe even got folded into the actual game itself, but some of those mods made things substantially more fun at the time.

Caliane

Launch. (not much was changed for release from last beta version if you were already playing.)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
So after like 5 years of being in beta this thing finally released the other day. It’s on of the few games with “overwhelmingly positive” reviews on steam so I said fuck it and plunged in last night. The tutorial in game is pretty sparse so I found a decent tutorial on YouTube that I’m watching today at work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

please document your colony ala Boatmurdered.

This is a "losing is fun" game. Im not sure too many tutorials is a great idea. because things going wrong is half the fun. There is a solid amount of RNG to ruin even the most well laid plans though, I suppose.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea fuck that, don't watch tutorials. Half the fun is figuring out how shit works and watching colony after colony get razed to the ground by maneating turtles.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

Probably the only advice I would give, since I think its not obvious, but will cause death spirals constantly is manually set work/sleep/recreation times.
the colonists do not have preset recreation by default. you have to add it to their schedules. if you do not add "recreation only" hours to their day, they will go nuts frequently.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
if you do not add "recreation only" hours to their day, they will go nuts frequently.

Wait, what? That's never been the case for any of my colonies, they take time for themselves pretty frequently. If your joy sources are terrible they'll get pissy, though.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
there needs to be a joy modifier to slow down change during large scale base defense combat operations in late game

other than that and some ai pathing while hauling stuff ect, this game is very solid

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Colonist schedules default all waking hours to "anything", so they'll seek out recreation when they want it yea. You don't have to manually set any of that, and probably don't want to mess with it until you're pretty familiar with the game.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So the "Bill" thing. Does that make sense to anyone?

I've been doing the alone and naked thing with the hardest difficulty. Hilarity happens.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bills are work orders for a certain production station, eg a butcher table will have a "butcher creature" bill. Basically just add the bill and then +1 it to have another creature butchered. The advanced tab lets you do more stuff like only allow certain ingredients, colonists, auto suspend when you have enough of a certain resource etc.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I figured it out but for a long time I was like ... Bill... wtf is a bill. Like why not "Make" or "Create" or "Action" or anything.

Since the whole game is just a nice coat of paint on dwarf fortress I assumed it was some sort of patched-in-later internal economy thing till I finally clicked on it. By then I was starving.