RIP Harold Ramis.

rrr_img_61335.jpg

rrr_img_61334.jpg

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
john hughes was a great writer director, but I would not say he was a great comedic screenwriter.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ghostbusters 2 sucked ass.
It was impossible for it not to, considering how big a hit the first one was. If GB2 had been GB1 it would have been "not that bad". Not a great movie on its own merits, but not a horrible one. And it did suck ass... but it sucked the most ass compared to #1.

I had known that Egon wrote Ghostbusters. I had no idea that Egon wrote so much of the other genre defining stuff. Cause when you think "80's(ish) comedy"... it's predominately either Ramis' scripts or stuff trying to copy them. Apparently. TIL.

RIP in peace.

iannis

Musty Nester
this. his resume trumps even the farrelly brothers, and that's saying something.
Pretty interesting. I've seen an interview with one of those brothers who claims he wrote Dumb and Dumber basically as a reaction against the Stripes/Bill Murray character.

So there's a direct instance of one "great" influencing another "great".

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
How dare you say that about Ghostbusters 2

On a mountain of skulls in the castle of pain I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Do you think his resume trumps John Hughes? I would have to put them both neck and neck imo.
i agree with you. i would put john hughes and harold ramis as equals. between the two of them, they pretty much defined 80's cinema; including some of the best movies of all time.

hughes: 16 candles, breakfast club, pretty in pink, ferris bueller's day off, some kind of wonderful, weird science, home alone
ramis: caddyshack, ghostbusters, national lampoons vacation, groundhog day, back to school, stripes, animal house

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They made very different movies. And Ramis made much funnier movies. It's a stupid comparison, you might as well compare either of them to Scorcese.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wtf happened to smart comedies. I'm trying to think of someone who makes successful comedies now and all I can come up with is Adam Sandler. I just threw up a little.