Roseanne

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
While it was slightly clunky at first, I was expecting far worse. They got the past the awkwardness quickly and settled into the old show brilliantly. I'm looking forward to watching more.

And John Goodman deserves heaps of praise for his performance. He's come across as knocking on death's door in some interviews I've heard over the past few years, so I figured he'd be kind of subdued and kept in the background, but he was awesome - exactly the old Dan.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
John Goodman in Death Sentence where he told him to go with god and a bag full of guns still makes me giggle.

ABC just renewed for another season today.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's a little premature in my opinion. They should at least give it another week or two to see how the ratings shake out.

I'd imagine a combination of nostalgia and seeing what kind of whacky "Trump" shit Roseanne would say probably had a large part to do with the premiere episodes.

I mean, I'm still convinced there's a large portion of conservative households that are running out of shows they would watch as a family, I just don't know that you can make any conclusions after one week.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
That's a little premature in my opinion. They should at least give it another week or two to see how the ratings shake out.

I'd imagine a combination of nostalgia and seeing what kind of whacky "Trump" shit Roseanne would say probably had a large part to do with the premiere episodes.

I mean, I'm still convinced there's a large portion of conservative households that are running out of shows they would watch as a family, I just don't know that you can make any conclusions after one week.

A season is only 10 episodes. So, no worries either way. If the numbers drop the show will end again.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The only worthwhile Jimmy Kimmel Clip to watch

Jon Goodman kinda sucks here too, hail to the Queen.

• 1Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U
A season is only 10 episodes. So, no worries either way. If the numbers drop the show will end again.
I think there was only 9 for this season and they showed 2 off the bat. Only 7 more episodes. I didn't catch what they renewed for. Could be anything from 9 to 26.

Oldbased

> Than U
Held onto more than 15 million viewers in 2nd week. Drop off is always expected, especially when you start so high but the drop off was much less than predicted. 15.2 million live viewers is very strong for a week 2.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I caught up on these last night. Very funny will continue watching.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'll watch Goodman in just about anything, but I gave this a shot and man, this was like the sitcom version of her trying to sing the national anthem again.

• 3Dislike
  • 1Picard
  • 1Comrade
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Darlene went all Bob Saget and suddenly has a high pitched voice.

This is surprisingly funny, though

Siliconemelons

You guys really like to use the term "conservative" for anyone that is not a progressive libtard eh?

Rosanne the show then, and now - is not "conservative" - hell Last Man Standing /barely/ was.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Last Man Standing was an overtly conservative values sitcom. What are you talking about?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Does this show have a laugh track? Every time I come across a 30 minute sitcom and hear the laugh track it seems so anachronistic. Then again I haven't watched a sitcom aside from the animated ones (Simpsons et al) since the 90's.

Siliconemelons

Last Man Standing was an overtly conservative values sitcom. What are you talking about?

Child out of wedlock, living together before marriage, sex outside of marriage - all hand waved, is not truly conservative.

• 2Solidarity

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Child out of wedlock, living together before marriage, sex outside of marriage - all hand waved, is not truly conservative.

So most conservatives aren't conservatives? Especially if you're including sex before marriage. All you're left with is diehard Christians.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So most conservatives aren't conservatives? Especially if you're including sex before marriage. All you're left with is diehard Christians.

Today? Yes. I'd say most of what progressives think is a "literal Nazi" are what you'd dub a moderate Liberal just 20 years ago. The poles have shifted so radically that a lot of former Liberals have not moved at all, and yet are now conservative within the same generation. Roseane is the same Liberal that spat during the national anthem and grabbed her crotch, and has a ton of very Liberal values. She hasn't changed, what's changed is that somehow now saying grace before dinner and not believing little boys should be chemically castrated, makes you a super conservative, or something. (What's sad is that none of that is hyperbole....fuck.)

Lampooning ridiculous things like white privilege is not "conservative"--if you're a real Liberal, that should be something that comes naturally. Last man standing didn't so much as espouse conservative values, as make fun of the current idiocy of the left. Hell, even saying Tim Allen's character was "conservative", all the other characters were Liberal--the shows whole concept was about them clashing. As said though, we're so ridiculously far to the left that Bill Clinton voters today would seem like hyper-conservatives, so its hard to pin down that window.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

Today? Yes. I'd say most of what progressives think is a "literal Nazi" are what you'd dub a moderate Liberal just 20 years ago. The poles have shifted so radically that a lot of former Liberals have not moved at all, and yet are now conservative within the same generation. Roseane is the same Liberal that spat during the national anthem and grabbed her crotch, and has a ton of very Liberal values. She hasn't changed, what's changed is that somehow now saying grace before dinner and not believing little boys should be chemically castrated, makes you a super conservative, or something. (What's sad is that none of that is hyperbole....fuck.)

Lampooning ridiculous things like white privilege is not "conservative"--if you're a real Liberal, that should be something that comes naturally. Last man standing didn't so much as espouse conservative values, as make fun of the current idiocy of the left. Hell, even saying Tim Allen's character was "conservative", all the other characters were Liberal--the shows whole concept was about them clashing. As said though, we're so ridiculously far to the left that Bill Clinton voters today would seem like hyper-conservatives, so its hard to pin down that window.

And now I don't have to type all that.

Exactly - Rosanne first run, it was in no way considered conservative, in fact it was a harsh liberal view of the "normal family" that is "not rich enough to be conservative" - vs the "rich clean" sitcoms like Step by Step, and others where - the teen daughter made the right choice and did not bone her prom date, the boy trying to be in with the cool kids did not smoke pot- while Rosanne was the opposite of all of that.

The left has just stretched out their side so far far far off that now anything that's not fully progressive left, is "bad old man conservative!"

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hahah okay boys. I guess in order for a show to be considered "conservative" to you it'll need to blatantly come out and say "We're conservative!" and have Alex Jones cameos.

Tim Allen's little video blogs in each episode espoused conservative values fully. It was close to preachy. I like the show. I binged each season as they were released on Netflix. Saying it was barely a conservative show and cherry picking the accidental teen pregnancy and the caricature of liberalism that is the idiot son in law as proof is ridiculous.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Did I say it "wasn't" I said it "barely was" - I do however say Rosanne was NOT conservative.

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I never got a particular political impression from Roseanne. The only impression that show ever gave me was blue collar working class family. That is something middle america can identify with.