Debate Roundabouts: Efficiency in Action or Vortex of Death

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
They probably work pretty well for shorter vehicles. They don't work worth a damn when they require a lane change in the middle of it especially with semi trucks.

Anytime they install one, someone should hire a Pro with a Drift Car to come in and cockblock anyone from entering for a few hours.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Everywhere else the Roundabouts are great
There seems to be a lot of traffic lights going up around roundabouts lately, they limit the traffic into the roundabout... WTF .. I don't think it's a problem with the design of the roundabout, more the amount of traffic using it in peak times.

Get with the future peeps and embrace your new roundabout overloads.
they are good for drift practice too

So.... roundabouts are so great and amazing that they have to limit the traffic during peak times just like on normal roads that have stop lights? I'm shocked... shocked!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As someone who mostly drives at night, I love roundabouts. Less waiting for lights.

They also fixed a 5 way intersection in the area that had been a clusterfuck for decades by turning it in to a roundabout.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How do you guys approach 4 way stops then???

having driven on the east coast and now driving in bum fuck Kansas, white ppl really suck at 4 way stops.

Literally, you can have a conversation with the opposite guy, the way these dumb fucks are so skiddish going forward.

I come to a complete stop, and literally go, everyone is too slow or dumb to move forward. Of course if i see Jim Billy Bob with his banged up truck, i'll wait too he goes past the intersection cuz he's usually a fucking retard.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wait a minute. Are you an Asian claiming white people suck at driving?

15DB4C1C-8AE8-4E82-A3A8-A97FBA176696.jpeg

• 9Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
There is only one good roundabout near me.

And that's because they built an extra lane outside of the roundabout for traffic making a 90 degree right turn.

That way the only cars going into the circle are going straight through or making a left.

Also the radius is nice and big.

Tiny ones with a ton of traffic can suck off.

• 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Lots of them here in Massachusetts and they are great and incredibly efficient for intersections where most everyone coming from one side would be, effectively, turning left. The problem, as others have noted, is that there are people who don't understand how they work:

1) People who are completely terrified of roundabouts and just sit waiting until there is no sign of any traffic at all before they enter.
2) People who never leave the right hand lane or hug the outer part of the circle thus preventing people from other points from entering.

The end result is that you will often get a significant backlog of cars waiting at the entrance until the current Timid Timmy gets his shit together, but then the whole column will clear out in fairly short order as everyone else more deftly navigates the things.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Southeast Michigan has been slowly replacing intersections with roundabouts. In virtually every case they've dramatically reduced the time it takes to cross an intersection. There's a few specific intersections I remember being a total shit-show for years that are now a breeze. The argument about "people don't know how to drive in roundabouts" is weak because people will learn over the years.

I'm Tuco Ramirez, and I support round-a-bouts.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a Euro I didn't know wtf to do at a 4 way stop, why not just put two on the side road? Better yet, how about a yield sign so you don't need to come to a complete stop whenever there is a cop behind you.

I don't think anyone in Europe treats a stop sign differently from a yield sign, completely interchangable as far as we are concerned. I've never once heard of someone getting ticketed for failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign in Europe.

• 1Like

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
I have to drive up to North NJ (Ledgewood) every now and then for work (from the Philly area). Roundabouts on 202 and 46 that have been there for ages were recently replaced with more standard intersections....

I'm too lazy to look up the additional info surrounding the change but there's my anecdotal contribution. NJ seems to be moving away from them?

• 1Like
  • 1Trump

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
NJ has never struck me as particularly well designed or organized. I mean abandoning the PATH tunnel was epic-level dumb

• 1Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
How do you guys approach 4 way stops then???

having driven on the east coast and now driving in bum fuck Kansas, white ppl really suck at 4 way stops.

Literally, you can have a conversation with the opposite guy, the way these dumb fucks are so skiddish going forward.

I come to a complete stop, and literally go, everyone is too slow or dumb to move forward. Of course if i see Jim Billy Bob with his banged up truck, i'll wait too he goes past the intersection cuz he's usually a fucking retard.
You are right that sometimes people are dumb at 4 way stops. How to approach 4 way stops?
1. Come to a complete stop
2. Whoever stops first goes first
3. when in doubt, the car on the right has right of way
Simple, civilized, only delays you for a matter of seconds. People are idiots but I'd rather the idiots stopped briefly so if we hit each other the damage will be less. (I'm sure someone will parachute in with a graph "proving" that low speed collisions are actually more dangerous in response to that statement)

White people are bad at driving was a good one, thanks for bringing a smile to my day :)

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
roundabout.jpg

wtf is a roundabout...i call them...Rotaries... the one above is huge, like 200 yards across...

like Que said, lots in my area- but they are actually REMOVING them in areas for enhanced flows/stop lights

however The Roundabout above condon circle..which officially is the name on the circle,, EVERYONE older than 40 calls goodwin circle due to there used to be a awesome restaurant
where that equitable bank is now called..goodwin's. they have updated this circle to 2 lanes outside lane for entering/exiting inside for going around.
Funny weird thing with this rotary, the 2 northerly exits, you can take either one and end up in the same spot. route 1 -northmost one- has exits for route 95 and route 1- road ends going onto route 1 north.
nw one, crosses route 1 and you can turn onto either route 1 north or south..or if you continue straight..you end up going past exits onto route 95.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Even as a roundabout fan, there's one set of round abouts near the intersection of I96 and I23 that looks like someone was playing Sim City and had a heart attack through a redesign of their road structure.

upload_2017-10-19_9-58-26.png

Going through the double roundabout is madness. You pretty much pick a direction you want to travel and hope for the best.

• 3Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
New Jersey has some fucking horrible road standards. The random jug handles (turn right and loop around to turn left) suck because they aren’t very consistent. If you don’t know the area you’re almost always going to end up in the wrong lane to turn left at some point.

They also have green lights with no green left arrow. So your side turns green, you assume that oncoming traffic has a green too. Nope it’s red for oncoming and you’re getting honked at for not crossing in front of them. How the fuck are you supposed to know it’s your turn? If the other car just sits there. Also this is just random green lights sprinkled here and there...not all of them. Dumb as fuck.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Even as a roundabout fan, there's one set of round abouts near the intersection of I96 and I23 that looks like someone was playing Sim City and had a heart attack through a redesign of their road structure.

View attachment 155006

Going through the double roundabout is madness. You pretty much pick a direction you want to travel and hope for the best.

Carmel Indiana (the city that started this thread) has a ton of double roundabouts. Google map that city some time. Not joking when I said they celebrated their 100th roundabout a couple months ago, it’s insane.

And for the record I think roundabouts can be very useful in the right spot. Peppering your entire city with them is fucking obnoxious though.

Edit: One intersection example from Carmel

9C85ACB3-7BB6-4F92-991C-8DC77D959656.jpeg

• 3Barf

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
New Jersey has some fucking horrible road standards. The random jug handles (turn right and loop around to turn left) suck because they aren’t very consistent. If you don’t know the area you’re almost always going to end up in the wrong lane to turn left at some point.

I first encountered a jug-handle like that near Hanscom AFB and they really are a great solution to a situation where a significant percentage of the oncoming traffic wants to turn left and you don't want to dedicate eons to left-turn cheater lights. I do agree that they should be used in a much more consistent fashion if they are used at all.

Google Maps and other navigation aids don't seem to have a solid grasp on how to instruct a person who is heading into a 'traffic circle'. I keep wondering what the heck they are counting sometimes when they say 'take the 3rd exit' as no reasonable methodology of counting would conclude that the exit the visual display is indicating is "third".

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Fucking nazi mods trying to suppress my right to talk shit about TCODs by making the first poster in the new thread someone I have on ignore and not telling us in the original thread what was done.

I'm enjoying reading how a TCOD should work better in theory as if all of us who are bitching about them haven't ever been in one.

Also, as to the really big ones. Yeah those work fine, but around here we call them interchanges and save them for when major highways intersect. The TCODs municipalities are putting in are tiny in comparison. They're maybe doubling the size of the traditional 4 way stop intersection and then blocking your view with more signage than the break room at a chemical plant.

• 1Salty

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fucking nazi mods trying to suppress my right to talk shit about TCODs by making the first poster in the new thread someone I have on ignore and not telling us in the original thread what was done

I’m surprised I’m on an ignore list with how little I post. Either I’m one annoying bastard when I do post or you’re one salty bitch!

Probably both.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I’m surprised I’m on an ignore list with how little I post. Either I’m one annoying bastard when I do post or you’re one salty bitch!

Probably both.

I can't put my finger on it. For some reason I just hate you.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users