Routers & Other Networking Stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I have a Chromecast and I like it a lot. I use it for Netflix and Plex. It can occasionally get a little buggy (needing reboots) but otherwise it's great.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I love my Chromecast. It'll basically save you the hassle of having to run that cable(I assume you just run it when you need it, and not leaving it connected all the time.
Actually I buried it behind the floorboard so its pretty permanent. I was just wondering if it had any other "cool" features or things you could do with it besides turn your tv screen into another monitor (which I already can do).

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Actually I buried it behind the floorboard so its pretty permanent. I was just wondering if it had any other "cool" features or things you could do with it besides turn your tv screen into another monitor (which I already can do).
We mainly use our Chromecast to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon PrimeTV but the best thing I like about my Chromecast isPlex. Plex is fucking awesome. Combine it with IPTorrents or something similar and I rarely if ever even use Netflix or Hulu or any of that crap anymore. I also like to useLocalCastif I'm ever at a friends house and happen to have a hardcopy of a TV Show/Movie/whatever on my phone and they don't have it or its not on one of those servers.

But Plex is fantastic. It makes watching stuff on my TV so damn easy. There's a lot of other apps and shit I'm sure the other guys could touch on but that is by far my favorite reason for having Chromecast. I wish it would have come out before I built my fiance's HTPC. We have very little need for that now.

It's also fun to scare the shit out of her if she is in our room watching a scary movie, I'll take over the Cheomcast and put a scary picture up out of no where just for the lolz. Here's a good list of Chromecast apps:Google Cast Ready apps

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Hopefully you guys can help me out. Yesterday I switched from Uverse to Comcast 50mb internet. I have never had cable so this is a new experience for me. I bought a Motorola surfboard SB6121 and hooked directly to my computer I receive IPv4 speeds at about 27mb/4mb but then it does 45mb/10mb on IPv6 usingXFINITY Speed Test. I then hooked up a cheap router I boughtAmazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router, 300Mpbs, IP QoS, WPS Button: Electronicsand I only get IPv4 speeds. So I'm assuming the router is not compatible with IPv6. My question is would there be firmware out there that would unlock it? Also, how can my speeds be faster through the wifi? I used the speetest.net app on my ipad and got 40mb up, yet hard wired through the router I'm only getting 25-27mb.

Is IPv6 used regularly now and/or should I just suck it up and buy something like this?Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers Accessories

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I don't get it...how is it my PS4 is getting 43/9mb hardwired but my computer isn't.
I had a horde (hoard?) of issues with the TP-LINK router you are having trouble with for about a month before I took a baseball bat to the damn thing and gott the ASUS RT-N66U (I got the RT-N66R, it is the same router). I haven't purposely had to restart the RT-N66U/R since I got it. I fucking love it. I useMerlin's Firmwareon it and it is a rock solid router. I'm just like others have stated it may shit out after a couple years but this has been the best router I've owned and would HIGHLY recommend it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

The thing is that it can turn your TV in to a monitor for any device on the network that supports the casting protocol. Hell, they just updated the android chromecast app to allow devices not on the same network to cast to your chromecast if you give it permission. It's mainly a convenience thing in your case, but it's also nice if someone has something on their phone they want to show you. THey can just toss it right up on your chromecast instead of showing you on their phone or sending you a link.

Solariss

Golden Squire
If your connection is under 200-250mbps the Mikrotik 951g-2hnd is by far the best router available.
I'm looking to buy a router. The one supplied by Verizon fucking sucks. If I bought a Mikrotik, would I have issues setting it up having no previous experience with networking? I'd like to understand and mess with the VPN option, but if I just want a router to connect me, will this do that?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm looking to buy a router. The one supplied by Verizon fucking sucks. If I bought a Mikrotik, would I have issues setting it up having no previous experience with networking? I'd like to understand and mess with the VPN option, but if I just want a router to connect me, will this do that?
Depends which one you buy, stick with the home models and it's pretty straight forward and comes with basic instructions. Essentially it's plug in, select WPA/2 Security, add a password, save.

Sometimes you need to reboot your cable modem if you switch routers, because the mac address it's sending to is different. You do not need a degree in networking to just get a simple(and secure) home AP/router system setup though. The good thing about routerboard/Mikrotik is that there is insane room to grow. The stuff you can do and setup is pretty awesome.

I'm a simple networking guy myself, understand things but don't care enough to learn more and my uses are simple. I live alone, use it for work and play. My most recent addition was a Mikrotik outdoor AP/bidge. I just use it to blast my wifi signal to the yard(thing shoots out at a 60degree radius and is insane strong compared to the home routing boxes) so now I can get wifi with fantastic signal pretty much anywhere in my yard. I've also learned how to run a wire over to the garage and "reblast" my home signal. So while it's a separate router, it uses the same password/SSID and such so people don't need to log in twice, it just swaps to the stronger one as you move. I started getting slightly above my level with this stuff but there are some good forums and guides online.

I swear by the company, the products, and the reliability. I burned through about 3 shitty netgear routers or whatever crap from best buy until I finally converted.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the verdict on AC routers? Looking to upgrade my D-link DIR-655 due to some connection issues(both my wife's Nexus 7 and now mine can't connect to the router since Android 5 upgrades). Worth the extra money or the protocol not fully fleshed out yet?

I'm having trouble finding an AC router under the Mikrotik lineup. Oh, more Mikrotik questions. How do I tell what their bandwidth of their 802.11n protocol is? Many commercial networking electronics, I'm guessing, game this stat by sticking multiple transmitters and receivers in their product(i.e.: 2T2R for up to 300Mbps). I can't find this anywhere in Mikrotik's data sheets. Should I just assume it's a steady 150Mpbs and that's likely what I was getting with commercial stuff anyway?

Solariss

Golden Squire
Depends which one you buy, stick with the home models and it's pretty straight forward and comes with basic instructions. Essentially it's plug in, select WPA/2 Security, add a password, save.

Sometimes you need to reboot your cable modem if you switch routers, because the mac address it's sending to is different. You do not need a degree in networking to just get a simple(and secure) home AP/router system setup though. The good thing about routerboard/Mikrotik is that there is insane room to grow. The stuff you can do and setup is pretty awesome.

I'm a simple networking guy myself, understand things but don't care enough to learn more and my uses are simple. I live alone, use it for work and play. My most recent addition was a Mikrotik outdoor AP/bidge. I just use it to blast my wifi signal to the yard(thing shoots out at a 60degree radius and is insane strong compared to the home routing boxes) so now I can get wifi with fantastic signal pretty much anywhere in my yard. I've also learned how to run a wire over to the garage and "reblast" my home signal. So while it's a separate router, it uses the same password/SSID and such so people don't need to log in twice, it just swaps to the stronger one as you move. I started getting slightly above my level with this stuff but there are some good forums and guides online.

I swear by the company, the products, and the reliability. I burned through about 3 shitty netgear routers or whatever crap from best buy until I finally converted.
Great info, thanks! Does Mikrotik have a cable modem/router? I'm looking at the Mikrotik 951g-2hnd and it seems that this is only a router and wouldn't serve the purpose I need it for. I can't seem to find any Mikrotik products that are cable modems.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're likely looking at two separate products. Combo modem/routers are almost always crap. Luckily, stand alone cable modems are cheap and small. You likely want something like the Motorola SB6141.

Solariss

Golden Squire
You're likely looking at two separate products. Combo modem/routers are almost always crap. Luckily, stand alone cable modems are cheap and small. You likely want something like the Motorola SB6141.
Thanks for the recommendation! Will check it out.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's more important here to find out what hardware works with your ISP and go from there. You have some wiggle room. Like TWC only wanted to accept Motorola's cable modem/router to replace their own crappy rental Ubee. Obviously, if the cable modem/router from Motorola will work, then one of their standalones should work too. At this point, Amazon should be full of customer reviews of the different models saying whether or not it worked for certain ISPs.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
What's the verdict on AC routers? Looking to upgrade my D-link DIR-655 due to some connection issues(both my wife's Nexus 7 and now mine can't connect to the router since Android 5 upgrades). Worth the extra money or the protocol not fully fleshed out yet?

I'm having trouble finding an AC router under the Mikrotik lineup. Oh, more Mikrotik questions. How do I tell what their bandwidth of their 802.11n protocol is? Many commercial networking electronics, I'm guessing, game this stat by sticking multiple transmitters and receivers in their product(i.e.: 2T2R for up to 300Mbps). I can't find this anywhere in Mikrotik's data sheets. Should I just assume it's a steady 150Mpbs and that's likely what I was getting with commercial stuff anyway?
IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

802.11b: 11Mbps
802.11g: 54Mbps
802.11n: 54-600Mbps (you're never getting the 600)
802.11ac: 1300Mbps

AC is "fleshed out" fine but it's just a question of whether your wireless NIC supports it.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It's more important here to find out what hardware works with your ISP and go from there. You have some wiggle room. Like TWC only wanted to accept Motorola's cable modem/router to replace their own crappy rental Ubee. Obviously, if the cable modem/router from Motorola will work, then one of their standalones should work too. At this point, Amazon should be full of customer reviews of the different models saying whether or not it worked for certain ISPs.
Jesus that Ubee modem/router blew donkey balls. It would lock up on me at least a few times a week. Didn't even bother calling TWC because I knew I'd get the rage inducing run-around, and just replaced it with a SB6141 and an Asus router and it's been smooth sailing since.

EDIT: For all the min/maxers trying to squeeze every drop of bandwidth through the wireless protocol du jour, don't bother. Unless you are writing to an SSD, your standard 7200rpm hard drive is going to top out at about 200mbs write speed.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, and the speeds listed on the protocols are the absolute max in lab conditions. You're not going to get them in any realistic situation.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Jesus that Ubee modem/router blew donkey balls. It would lock up on me at least a few times a week. Didn't even bother calling TWC because I knew I'd get the rage inducing run-around, and just replaced it with a SB6141 and an Asus router and it's been smooth sailing since.

EDIT: For all the min/maxers trying to squeeze every drop of bandwidth through the wireless protocol du jour, don't bother. Unless you are writing to an SSD, your standard 7200rpm hard drive is going to top out at about 200mbs write speed.
Bitch, please, I run RAID 0 SSDs 1.1 GB/s read/write, caps ain't no mistake son, I need more MEGABITS.

But seriously, it's fast. Also, I have ~110 MBps down and I don't think I ever really get near that but my n router caps internet before I have wireless issues. I guess if you have Gigabit fiber or something. I don't think any of my new Win 8.1 gen devices at home or work even support 802.11ac, though I've seen a few laptops with integrated ac NICs.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea, see now you guys are going above my head
smile.png
It's not that I don't understand the terms or what you're talking about but again my uses are simple. If I never notice a problem in streaming a movie or playing a game then I consider it working whether it's 150Mbps or 1200Mbps
smile.png
I suppose if I had 150 devices going through it or something I'd want to start planning out a little more for all of the internal communication, maybe even upgrade to a beefier router setup or something....

Or I've seen people with two home routers: one for their main shit, phones, pc's, tablet's and such and the other for all of these new IFTT crap plugging in all over. I'm sure there are way better ways to manage that type of system and traffic. My house may be there one day, but not yet
frown.png

Duppin_sl

shitlord
There's very little reason to have multiple home routers unless you are doing heavy working from home type shit. I might put in a small switch sometime soon though, to break up collision domains.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you using an oldschool Hub? Eveything else should be on its own collision domain per port these days