Ryan Lochte scandal megathread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The statement from Bentz and the narrative offered by Brazilian authorities agree that the swimmers entered a narrow walkway and urinated behind the gas station. The accounts also agree that, at some point, Lochte pulled what Bentz described as a “loosely attached” advertising sign from a wall. Deluz described it as a framed canvas that was torn as Lochte pulled it to the ground.

At a news conference Thursday, Rio police chief Fernando Veloso characterized the athletes' actions at the gas station as vandalism. He said they also had broken a soap dispenser and mirror inside the restroom. Reports quickly grew that the Americans had trashed the restroom.

A USA TODAY Sports videographer who visited the bathroom Thursday found no damage to soap dispensers and mirrors and said none of those items appeared to be new. Some media accounts suggested the men had broken down a door, which USA TODAY Sports also did not observe.

The witness, Fernando Deluz, says he got involved after one of the guards pulled a gun on the men.

"As soon as they drew their weapon, that's when I got worried,” Deluz, a disc jockey, told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday.

“It was also so fast, and what I wanted was to resolve the situation,” says Deluz, who days later talked to police. “If it hadn't been for wanting to resolve that, if I hadn't involved myself, I thought – the police chief told me, ‘Man, if you hadn't gone there in that moment, a tragedy could have occurred.’

There was no damage to the bathroom. That story was manufactured by the police of a town known worldwide for its corruption.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never mind Lochte, the story is that other two swimmers gave sworn statements that they did damage shit. Was that bullshit too?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/sports/olympics/ryan-lochte-apology-rio-olympics.html

In sworn statements to Brazilian investigators, Mr. Lochte’s teammates said that he was drunk and disorderly, had damaged property and was in need of calming down as they discussed the situation with an armed security guard.

Two of the swimmers — Gunnar Bentz, 20, and Jack Conger, 21 — described public urination, vandalism and other drunken antics by the swimmers, the police said.

In his testimony, Mr. Bentz said that the situation spiraled out of control shortly after the swimmers left a party in a taxi early Sunday and stopped at a gas station to use the bathroom. Once there, the men urinated around the bushes, and Mr. Lochte damaged a sign, according to a police description of Mr. Bentz’s account.

So my question is if this is bullshit above, why didn't the swimmers come out and say 'I didn't say that'.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The linked story did say there was a sign damaged but nothing in the bathroom.

And I don't see anything in Lochte's words that says he wasn't robbed. Guy has a gun and demands you give him money, thats not a negotiation. Thats a robbery.

He was phrasing it delicately because it's obvious that the media is just doing a hatchet job on him.

I know English isn't your primary language Lendarios so you'll just have to trust us on that.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah and that eye-witness who confirmed his story made it up too right? And the photographic proof of there being no damage to the bathroom is made up as well?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Is that a concession to the there were no damages argument?

Again I know English is rough for you but the poster you are arguing with said there were no damages to the bathroom, not that there was no damage. How do you say bathroom in spanish?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah and that eye-witness who confirmed his story made it up too right? And the photographic proof of there being no damage to the bathroom is made up as well?

How do you explain his friends throwing him under the bus like that? If they really did nothing wrong, why did one guy donate something like 10k?

It doesn't matter what the media did or did not report. The fault of all this shit is on Lochte because if he doesn't talk to Matt Laurer about it and just goes on his merry way nobody know shit.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
How do you explain his friends throwing him under the bus like that? If they really did nothing wrong, why did one guy donate something like 10k?

That was the "we'll let you leave the country if you donate $10k" donation, didn't you realize that? That was national-level extortion. Surprised you bring that up as if it were voluntary.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

It doesn't matter what the media did or did not report. The fault of all this shit is on Lochte because he doesn't talk to Matt Laurer about it and just goes on his merry way nobody know shit.

I don't have to explain a fucking thing, the eyewitness testimony and photographic proof of an undamaged bathroom does that for me. But maybe the threat of being unable to leave a third world shithole because the authorities seized your passports could have something to do with throwing someone under a bus or paying 10 grand.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
That was the "we'll let you leave the country if you donate $10k" donation, didn't you realize that? That was national-level extortion. Surprised you bring that up as if it were voluntary.

So what your saying is the Brazillian government railroaded these three guys and they just bent over and took it (including Lochte losing all his sponsorships) because they feel bad that they were drunk?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So what your saying is the Brazillian government railroaded these three guys and they just bent over and took it (including Lochte losing all his sponsorships) because they feel bad that they were drunk?

If by Brazilian government you mean "American media" and by "because they were drunk" you mean "because anything they said would be twisted by said media and used against them" then yes

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It makes no difference that the damages were to the poster and not the bathroom. There were damages inflicted by Ryan's crew. Hence it was not a robbery, it was a citizens arrest with a pay $20.00 to go home clause.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Hwunn5U.jpg

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't have to explain a fucking thing, the eyewitness testimony and photographic proof of an undamaged bathroom does that for me. But maybe the threat of being unable to leave a third world shithole because the authorities seized your passports could have something to do with throwing someone under a bus or paying 10 grand.

Again, if he never goes on TV and tries to make himself look so damn heroic in the process, you don't even know it happened. The damn police didn't even know what happened until they saw him on TV.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Y'all are acting like run of the mill extortion of (rich) foreign sports stars is completely out of the question. Run of the mill extortion in a third world country is something Leandarios should at least understand well. I mean come on dude.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It makes no difference that the damages were to the poster and not the bathroom. There were damages inflicted by Ryan's crew. Hence it was not a robbery, it was a citizens arrest with a pay $20.00 to go home clause.

Holy shit you're fucking stupid. It makes a huge difference because THE BRAZILIAN POLICE LIED ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED.

Also...

João Batista Damasceno, a Rio judge, does not discard the possibility that the guards' actions could be rightly interpreted as a robbery.

"If they only asked for the amount of the damage, it may not be a robbery," Damasceno said in a message to USA TODAY Sports. "But if the amount taken is higher than the value of the damages, with the use of a weapon by the 'security,' this is robbery."

Damasceno added that even if someone has the right to receive compensation, that does not mean they can determine the amount on their own and take actions such as drawing guns to collect.
Brazilian law rarely allows for a person to obtain such a payment through the use of their own force – such disputes should be mediated by the state, he said.

Armed robbery. Thanks for playing.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
At some point during that Matt Lauer interview, Matt's face and attitude was "are you kidding me"?