Ryan Lochte scandal megathread

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It's complicated because the only people claiming a gun was pulled are the drunk idiots, and there is apparently no video footage showing it. Although one of the idiots claims there is footage, it's just missing. Funny that.

So then, if there was no "robbery", and they paid for the damages, why were the other 2 swimmers extorted for $10k by the Brazilian govt? Why is it a big deal at all that Ryan Lochte lied about being "robbed" in Brazil, if he also paid for the damages in a fair, totally not coerced negotiation between equal parties at night while one of them had a gun?

In short, why is this a story at all other than rich american misbehaving in a third world country?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
why were the other 2 swimmers extorted for $10k by the Brazilian govt?

First of all, only Feigen was "extorted". The other two, Bentz and Conger, were only treated as witnesses and allowed to leave after giving their side. As far as Feigen goes, apparently that's how the Brazilian justice system works. No one's disputing that it's a middle income country with a fucked up judicial system. I'd agree that it's fucked up that he had to buy his passport back, if he didn't make false statements to police. I'm not clear on if he did or didn't after some Googling around.

US Olympian Jimmy Feigen to donate $11,000 to charity after robbery claims

Police said earlier on Thursday that Bentz and Conger blamed Lochte for the original story, saying he was drunk and agitated. Police added that neither Bentz nor Conger had given a misleading statement after the Sunday incident, saying only Lochte and Feigen had done so. The USOC said Feigen has spoken to police and provided them with a revised statement.

That would seem to indicate to me that Feigen did speak to police, and did give a false or misleading statement. Last I checked, that's illegal in the US too. His options were to stick around and take his chances with a foreign country's sketchy criminal justice system, or get the fuck out after paying 10k. If I was in a similar situation in the US or Mexico or somewhere in Europe after acting like a drunk asshole (not entirely uncommon while on vacation), I'd probably take the offer and skedaddle too. If you don't want to deal with a foreign country's criminal justice system, don't do criminal shit while you're there. Seems pretty fucking simple to me.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Because it's story about a rich American misbehaving in a third world country.

It's obviously a story about RACISM and INJUSTICE.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, for the most part the only one bringing up race are the people saying that dirty gringos robbed the fine, upstanding American.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
First of all, only Feigen was "extorted". The other two, Bentz and Conger, were only treated as witnesses and allowed to leave after giving their side. As far as Feigen goes, apparently that's how the Brazilian justice system works. No one's disputing that it's a middle income country with a fucked up judicial system. I'd agree that it's fucked up that he had to buy his passport back, if he didn't make false statements to police. I'm not clear on if he did or didn't after some Googling around.

US Olympian Jimmy Feigen to donate $11,000 to charity after robbery claims

That would seem to indicate to me that Feigen did speak to police, and did give a false or misleading statement. Last I checked, that's illegal in the US too. His options were to stick around and take his chances with a foreign country's sketchy criminal justice system, or get the fuck out after paying 10k. If I was in a similar situation in the US or Mexico or somewhere in Europe after acting like a drunk asshole (not entirely uncommon while on vacation), I'd probably take the offer and skedaddle too. If you don't want to deal with a foreign country's criminal justice system, don't do criminal shit while you're there. Seems pretty fucking simple to me.

Thats all fine, I'm really not defending the idiots in question. I'm attacking the way our media is covering this as if it's any kind of story or big deal at all. Dumbass american gets in trouble in Brazil, big deal. But he's a rich, white, blonde, privileged American, who lied about some poor, third world brown person who doesn't have a pot to piss in. NATIONAL NEWS.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Robber was not white, ergo...

It's ok to "negotiate" with a gun in your hand if the person you're negotiating with is a douchey white american.

But since he's a white american cocky ass Michael Phelps wannabe, its national news if he gets drunk and fucks up in Brazil. Where getting drunk and fucking up is the national fucking sport.

That's the new measure of the law now. Who was involved, and what color was their skin?

Worthless little third world pissant saw three wasted Gringos and saw an opportunity to feed his zika babies for the next five months.

Yeah, totally no one bringing up race or nationality here. It's not like there's a bunch of people saying that Lochte got rail-roaded simply because he's a white gringo, at all. As opposed to him being a giant douche bag who vandalized private property, paid $50 to cover the damages, and then lying to the entire world about what actually happened. He's totally the victim here. Poor guy. Same with his buddy who made a false report to the police to help cover their tracks. That's totally kosher too. In no other country in the world would that result in legal consequences.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
made a false report to the police to help cover their tracks. That's totally kosher too. In no other country in the world would that result in legal consequences.

Maybe he should run for President, we don't punish that here either.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Uh, the question of whether or not a gun was pointed is very much still in dispute. Not sure why you guys are operating on the assumption that he had a gun pointed at him. Like everything else, it's very likely made up. The guy that was translating has stated that he never saw a gun pulled, let alone pointed: Gas station translator, U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte disagree on gun pointing

Or did I miss something? I haven't watched the security videos, personally. In any case, if some dindu had vandalized your own private property, you confronted him about it with a gun, and asked him to pay for the damages in order to avoid the police being summoned, would you consider it robbery? Hardly. Fuck, half of you would have just shot him on the spot, going by your posts.

I'm still watching the olympic coverage i recorded. Last night I saw them play the video and bob costas confirmed that was a gun in the guys hand who made them get out. Maybe they were mistaken and it was a walkie talkie or something. If ole bob retracted that assertion I haven't heard. But there ya go, video of a gun. If that was a gun, he was holding it to his side as far as i could tell.

Yeah, for the most part the only one bringing up race are the people saying that dirty gringos robbed the fine, upstanding American.

FYI, gringos are americans. Need to come up with another slur for brazilians. Let's just call them dirty messicans.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is that a joke are you kidding me as in 'Really? He was robbed?' or a serious 'I cant believe that every single media outlet chose to run with the story given by the police chief of a city notorious for its corruption instead of doing 10 minutes of investigative journalism'

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The media has been absolutely terrible at getting the actual facts straight in almost every major story since the invention of the 24 hour news cycle. The last few years (and being wrong on this board) have taught me to always wait for the facts to come out before jumping to conclusions on any story whether it supports my views or not. They craziest thing that I see is most people will latch on to any story that shares their narrative despite the high likelihood that they will end up backpedaling when the truth comes out.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
This whole thing was a stupid shitty story to begin with, no surprise the media got it wrong.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is that a joke are you kidding me as in 'Really? He was robbed?' or a serious 'I cant believe that every single media outlet chose to run with the story given by the police chief of a city notorious for its corruption instead of doing 10 minutes of investigative journalism'

ARE YOU KIDDING ME is always sarcasm if I ever say it. Always.

I've become completely dubious about the media on the whole. I trust nothing anymore. Kanye is probably a really easygoing guy who appreciates a good joke and thought the gay fish episode was hilarious. Shkreli is probably a well meaning guy who jacked his drug prices merely to gouge big pharma so he could subsidize poor and uninsured people at their greedy expense.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
39b.jpg

• 1Like