Satisfactory

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Is it possible to treat all the waste and feed it into a sink? I've never used nuclear power because I hate the idea of making something that can't just run forever. I haven't looked at what was added in the more recent nuclear updates.
Yes. You can process the Uranium waste into Plutonium Fuel Rods, which you can sink. It takes a lot of energy though, so you can burn the Plutonium rods to recoup that and then some, but then you get untreatable Plutonium waste instead, which is 20x more radioactive than Uranium waste, but builds up at like 1/20th the rate.

The power gain is pretty significant though. My setup there is 72 Nuclear plants on Uranium with full recycling, and the Plutonium rods I'm throwing away could provide for 44 additional Nuclear plants which each produce only 1/min Plutonium waste, and would take over 9 hours to fill a single large storage container. But I also want it to just run forever, and 72 Nuclear plants is already such massive overkill that there's no point in going further.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I kind of like the idea of creating these immutable waste assets. It's super rare in gaming to create items that simply can't be destroyed. Feels like some kind of anti-nuclear NIMBY ploy from the devs tho :D

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
It lives! And once again this angle does a terrible job showing specific progress, its just a big blob of machines partially blocked by railway. I can't be too mad at it though, not only did that ramp connect into a group of machines that was overbuilt by 1 purely for symmetry, it also missed the light stick on the other machine by inches. If the rail had perfectly connected too without having to make a little jog left, I probably woulda came.
Screenshot20220215-18112300000.png

Screenshot20220214-19081500000.png

You can also see in the background the other two ridiculous things I spent too much time messing around with.

This thing which is just to hold two drone ports and some buffer storage.
Screenshot20220214-19085800000.png

And my uranium mine.
Screenshot20220214-06411300000.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Power problems solved, everything is running fine, its all perfect!
power improved.JPG

...for like 20 minutes. My power plants start flickering off and the uranium cells start backing up. Turns out, like most of my builds, I fucked up something and didn't notice until way too late. I did some rough initial math a while ago to figure out that 600 uranium => 72 power plants, and that I had enough resources around to do it. But, at when I transferred that all to a new sheet to crunch all the numbers of machines and whatnot, I put down 20 instead of 24 machines making the uranium fuel rods.

The rest of the factory is using the correct numbers, but actually making the fuel rods and the associated supply is only running at 5/6th capacity. Luckily I made a backup save and have extra iron to use, so I should be able to fix it. Unfortunately it means I need to redo the entire end of the line, where all the excess iron/copper/caterium turns into wire/quickwire. Which is what I just finished making and took pictures of. It shouldn't take too long, but it will require a hefty amount of swearing.
Screenshot20220215-16374500000.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Warcraft peon voice: Job's done!

This is the main reason I made it all flat, I wanted a nice picture of the whole thing. I should've been using this as a progress shot, but I wanted to be kinda surprised by it when it was all finished. I wanted to find a place up here where I could watch it all work, but sadly when I get far enough away to get it all in, it stops drawing machines/items (look at the top-right areas). Still good enough to be my new wallpaper for a while. I was gonna try to label it all, but probably not gonna happen, unless someone is really interested.

And now that I have infinite power...probably play something else for a while. I might try to mess with a camera mod to make a flythrough video, but probably gonna be a while before I start another build.
Screenshot20220218-06440700000.png

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Using the concrete foundations is absolutely key; shit gets super wonky if you aren't utilizing the snap stuff, especially in larger builds.

Wish I had saved screencaps of it but I started basically just building sky platforms for everything after a point in my last playthrough. Not having to give a shit about what the terrain was like in an area is so key hah.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Using the concrete foundations is absolutely key; shit gets super wonky if you aren't utilizing the snap stuff, especially in larger builds.

Wish I had saved screencaps of it but I started basically just building sky platforms for everything after a point in my last playthrough. Not having to give a shit about what the terrain was like in an area is so key hah.
Kinda turns the game into spreadsheet simulator though. To each their own but I really enjoyed dealing with the interruptions caused by the landscape. I never got into the aesthetic factory building, would rather use maya for that.

fris

Vyemm Raider
that's beautiful, very impressive.

i'm at the stage where i need to start nuke power. been putting it off. tried a few mods. Smart! was game changing, really simplified the most tedious part of the game. shame it doesn't work on pipes and only belts. Just got one that turns off fog, nice to be up high and see everything you've built around the map. before i started nuke stuff, i wanted to get all the recipes. so i would hoverpack around, leaving a trail of power lines and poles. kept making wandering circles around the map and stopped finding more crash sites. one thing that annoyed me was travel once you need to get around the whole map. i was always confused why you couldn't use skates and jet/hover pack at same time. then i saw a video of a guy th at had something called "exo suit". guess that mod is old, but found power-suit. close to game breaking. you have to do a ton of farming, unlocking, etc. but it combines gas/rad suits, skates, jet/hover pack. just a nice QoL thing that helped me explore faster/easier. was still missing a few recipes so got a 4th mod that puts a beacon on unopened crash sites, i had about 12 left.

plan to setup nuke power on the west coast, drones bringing in most of the materials. trains are just frustrating to me for some reason and didn't really improve things over long belts. not too worried about the most efficient world, so OK w/ supplying batteries to drones for the rest of the game if it works. guess if i run out of sulfur for nuke power i'll have to reconsider.

one thing that alumimum taught me is that i don't like the mechanic of some things having waste component that you need to route back into a supplie line. i found pure concrete saves the headache of balancing either side of recipes that also produce water. will probably need to figure out valves for nuke power though.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just picked this up yesterday and ended up skipping out on my garage time last night. This is going to be addictive. Gorgeous game.

Is there a collection of early-game recommended manufacturing layouts somewhere?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is there a collection of early-game recommended manufacturing layouts somewhere?
Not really. Because there are almost no restrictions on belt design and the inclusion of a vertical dimension the utility in really precise layouts is small compared to Factorio or Dyson Sphere Program.

In other words, the difference in cost, power draw etc, between an ultra-clean and efficient layout and the shit in this amazing video:

Isn't that large.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't know if my brain is ready for multi-level manufacturing. I kind of want to see some general concepts that have nothing to do with the actual input and output materials. IE general layout for 3-component recipes, 2-component recipes, etc.

I never actually build those things piece for piece, I just look at them for an "Ah HA!" revelation kind of thing.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
You can google plenty of layout ideas but in general people run belts through splitters perpendicular to the factory inputs, and belt through mergers perpendicular to the outputs. This allows easy scaling of factories up to the limit of your belts.
Going vertical is definitely ideal.

• 1Like

fris

Vyemm Raider
starting out, w/ each new thing you want/need to build, just start w/ a new flat area. eventually you'll find that just building a floor a few feet above your current stuff is easiest.

after you get a few tiers into the game and start having splitters and mergers all over, embrace manifolds over perfect splitting. i would line up buildings so sources could split 1 to 3. but as you progress, things just don't math that way efficiently. by having a line of splitters and buildings, the supplies eventually fill up and it's even. i wish i embraced that sooner.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I just got to coal power & steel yesterday. I wandered around forever trying to find coal with water nearby. The coal was up on top of a spire and basically a mud puddle at the bottom. Since I'm a total retard, I built everything up before checking to see if the water pump could even fit in the mud puddle. Ended up getting lucky because it fit in one particular spot/rotation (I was about 20seconds away from just dismantling everything and moving on).

I'm stuck on logistics mk3 though. Where the fuck do I build the encased steel beams? I don't see it at the crafting station and it's not available as an option in my assembler menus.
edit: It's actually hypertubes that I'm trying to unlock, but can't figure out how to make these encased industrial beams
1646677821265.png

Also, what's the consensus on vehicles? Do they work well for transport between different factories?

Last edited:

fris

Vyemm Raider
do your best not to use the crafting bench to build anything. anything you need, you'll need more of eventually so just automate everything. encased steal beams are built in an Assembler. if it's not there, then you need to unlock it in the MAM, in the sulfur tree. no idea why it's that way. there's some things in the MAM that just seem out of place. #beta

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I didn't play this for 2 or 3 weeks because my 2nd monitor died and it was annoying alt-tabbing to reference factory layouts I was working on and stuff. Just hooked up on old monitor last night and played for a couple hours.

Hypertubes definitely made me less resistant to expansion, so I started a new area further north of the starting area, in some jungle-lite biome with tough terrain. Setup a big ass coal plant and finished a modular framework factory just before bed. I'm taking the advice from here and avoiding finishing stages by using the workbench, so it feels like it's taking fucking forever to get to 500 versatile framework.

What do people use to bring stuff back to the HUB and put them in a "mall"(or whatever)? Do you just travel through hypertubes and carry stuff? Trucks? Looks like there's flying cargo later in the game?

Following the factory layout guides is helping with learning how to set stuff up compactly. Realizing that I should put belts down FIRST and then do mergers/splitters after made it a whole lot easier. I started running water below elevated platforms and then directly up to coal generators through the floor, too. Fuck those things right in the asshole....They're about two and a half millimeters too tall to jump over.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I mostly just use stackable conveyors to bring things back to base. If you're moving things extremely far then trains are an option. I never found trucks to be functionally useful but they are a bit of fun.

• 1Like