Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'd like to hear more about it, but from someone else's mouth.

As far as I understand it, from a math theory perspective it's bullshit. Numbers are numbers and they're rational or irrational regardless of what counting system you're using to express them. From a practical perspective of surveying and architecture work when your most advanced tools are hardened reeds and clay tablets, I'm sure doing the math in base 60 makes the calculation a lot easier. Even if you accept his skewed definition of what "accurate" means, with modern computing the "inaccuracies" of doing the math in base 10 decimals would only matter if you were building structures the size of the solar system. Computers can still use symbolic algebra engines and save all the rounding for the last step and only be off by 1/10^32 (or whatever your precision is).

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
To an engineer or a physicist 10^-100000 = 10^-100001. To a mathematician those are two different numbers.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
To an engineer or a physicist 10^-100000 = 10^-100001. To a mathematician those are two different numbers.
Hey. One of my physic teacher once went "well... 1/2 is totally negligible compared to 1, so here's the solution I wanted to show you..."

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Silicon chip can mediate stem cell production in skin cells to regrow organs within the body.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Researchers at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and Ohio State’s College of Engineering have developed a new technology, Tissue Nanotransfection (TNT), that can generate any cell type of interest for treatment within the patient’s own body. This technology may be used to repair injured tissue or restore function of aging tissue, including organs, blood vessels and nerve cells.

Results of the regenerative medicine study published today in the journal Nature Nanotechnology.

“By using our novel nanochip technology, injured or compromised organs can be replaced. We have shown that skin is a fertile land where we can grow the elements of any organ that is declining,” said Dr. Chandan Sen, director of Ohio State’s Center for Regenerative Medicine & Cell Based Therapies, who co-led the study with L. James Lee, professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering with Ohio State’s College of Engineering in collaboration with Ohio State’s Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center.

Researchers studied mice and pigs in these experiments. In the study, researchers were able to reprogram skin cells to become vascular cells in badly injured legs that lacked blood flow. Within one week, active blood vessels appeared in the injured leg, and by the second week, the leg was saved. In lab tests, this technology was also shown to reprogram skin cells in the live body into nerve cells that were injected into brain-injured mice to help them recover from stroke.

Posting because unlike post of these pop science claims, this is actually from a study posted in nature, and it appears to be working on mice to save limbs with a 98% success rate. Looks like it's fast tracked for human trials, to begin next year. Can't even imagine a world where a doctor can simply inject a microchip, and regrow tissue, or entire organs.

Not to rain on the parade here, but in vivo electroporation is a very well established technology that's been in clinical trials for many years. They have a cool spin on it with their nanochannels, but to be honest I'm skeptical until I see it go head to head against the established technologies in a large animal model. Right now the big barrier to efficacy in humans is scaling up the dose and transfecting sufficient numbers of cells for meaningful protein production.

In the 90s everyone got very excited about DNA therapies but they didn't scale at all into larger species. Then electroporation really revolutionized the field again and we started seeing DNA vaccinations working in humans. But again and again, we've seen that the limiting factor is that nonviral techniques are just not as efficient at spreading their dose around the way viruses do. That's why all the successful CAR-T therapies, to my knowledge, use viral vectors to transform their cells. I'm not sure that shrinking everything down is the right approach, even through nano-anything is the buzzword these days.

I like their approach because they can precisely target a small tissue area, but the applications in humans would appear limited. If you Google "plate and fork electroporation" you can find articles from the early 2000s describing this exact approach except they injected the DNA intradermally instead of allowing it to flow electrophoretically through nanochannels in the top electrode:

Skin-targeted gene transfer using in vivo electroporation

Still, I'm excited to see electroporation making headlines, but temper your expectations. We can transfect an entire mouse muscle and have been doing so for decades now. But who knows, maybe localized wound healing is the best application for this tech?

Source: I am a bioengineer / scientist specializing in drug delivery and I work with many clinical electroporation devices.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Chinese Scientists are up there on the credibility scale with Italian Cold Fusion.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Not to rain on the parade here, but in vivo electroporation is a very well established technology that's been in clinical trials for many years. They have a cool spin on it with their nanochannels, but to be honest I'm skeptical until I see it go head to head against the established technologies in a large animal model. Right now the big barrier to efficacy in humans is scaling up the dose and transfecting sufficient numbers of cells for meaningful protein production.

In the 90s everyone got very excited about DNA therapies but they didn't scale at all into larger species. Then electroporation really revolutionized the field again and we started seeing DNA vaccinations working in humans. But again and again, we've seen that the limiting factor is that nonviral techniques are just not as efficient at spreading their dose around the way viruses do. That's why all the successful CAR-T therapies, to my knowledge, use viral vectors to transform their cells. I'm not sure that shrinking everything down is the right approach, even through nano-anything is the buzzword these days.

I like their approach because they can precisely target a small tissue area, but the applications in humans would appear limited. If you Google "plate and fork electroporation" you can find articles from the early 2000s describing this exact approach except they injected the DNA intradermally instead of allowing it to flow electrophoretically through nanochannels in the top electrode:

Skin-targeted gene transfer using in vivo electroporation

Still, I'm excited to see electroporation making headlines, but temper your expectations. We can transfect an entire mouse muscle and have been doing so for decades now. But who knows, maybe localized wound healing is the best application for this tech?

Source: I am a bioengineer / scientist specializing in drug delivery and I work with many clinical electroporation devices.

btw, didn't see this. Thanks for this information, have been reading about electroporation for a couple hours now, it's really good info. Always wary when reading articles like the one I linked because of how they are absent from the history of the techniques they are written on.

• 1Solidarity

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Interesting, but Virgo being the tertiary detector with a co-aligned detection from the other two sources does little to assuage my concerns. A primary or secondary detection would carry more weight with me, especially if LIGO wasn't co-aligned. According to their own assessment, the chances of this being a false detection is low. However, there were a systemic problem with the LIGO set of detectors, this would be by far the most common way that a false detection would manifest, and their assessment of said risk would likely be drastically off.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Interesting, but Virgo being the tertiary detector with a co-aligned detection from the other two sources does little to assuage my concerns. A primary or secondary detection would carry more weight with me, especially if LIGO wasn't co-aligned. According to their own assessment, the chances of this being a false detection is low. However, there were a systemic problem with the LIGO set of detectors, this would be by far the most common way that a false detection would manifest, and their assessment of said risk would likely be drastically off.

Furry still doesn't believe in negative numbers, so his opinion is invalid.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Somehow a guy from blink182 is the CEO and holds all the knowledge of future science...

But he can't tell you how

He also equates himself next to Elon musk

• 1Worf
  • 1Salty

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Every time I see "loophole" and "limitless", my bullshit detector starts ringing loudly.

• 2Like