Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

iannis

Musty Nester
Wait what, deep learning is dead?
not quantum deep learning though!

I think he's just making an observation about buzzwords.

Deep learning has already evolved though, hasn't it? I don't think they're doing translators with it. And tbh, language translation is one of the most impressive ai feats I'm aware of. Even if it's mostly a fancier babelfish.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
not quantum deep learning though!

I think he's just making an observation about buzzwords.

Deep learning has already evolved though, hasn't it? I don't think they're doing translators with it. And tbh, language translation is one of the most impressive ai feats I'm aware of. Even if it's mostly a fancier babelfish.
I don't know what you mean by "already evolved" because for deep learning, sky's the limit.
ap110520018042_custom-8fbb1ec5b25461f081f09a9464d46e66962126a4.jpg

It's just pretty hard to get there and increasing the input domain makes the difficulty/cost grow exponentially.

iannis

Musty Nester
Evolved past the techniques they were calling deep learning five years ago.

I'm not very familiar at all, but I do know the phrase deep learning gets used a lot less in the popular ai for dummies articles.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
We probably agree then. I think the massive glut of papers like that is just because you don't need to do shit to get that 0.002%, so you can coattail ride all day without producing anything novel or worth reading.

Most real-world computer science before deep-learning is more closed-form where once you find a better solution you've got something novel, so there's less room to needledick your way into paper acceptance by tweaking something and curating your data harder.
I think a lot of it has to do with the industry demand and the money that goes with it. Any paper that you can get accepted into a conference is another step closer to the big $$$. Also, I honestly think the structure of peer review in CS field is hurting it. While using conferences instead of journals has facilitated a more open science approach to things, its also resulted in all research being reviewed in a speedy manner due to the massive amounts of papers and the small number of reviewers willing to work for the increasing number of conferences. This leads to a shortage of time and man power and has resulted in more weight being given to metrics and reported results with the actual progress of the scientific thought in the research becoming a distant secondary. It may also be the fact that CS went from being a mathish research field to being a scientific one and the people doing review are not equipped with the experience of doing experimental science. Whatever it is, the current environment in this field cant last and will soonish start producing crap that people will turn on and the result will be another DL winter.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Evolved past the techniques they were calling deep learning five years ago.

I'm not very familiar at all, but I do know the phrase deep learning gets used a lot less in the popular ai for dummies articles.
I don't know about those articles, but "deep learning" is a pretty broad term that will encapsulate pretty much every kind of approach that uses lots of data to produce a custom-built processing system from some kind of very basic mathematical principles like convolutions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think a lot of it has to do with the industry demand and the money that goes with it. Any paper that you can get accepted into a conference is another step closer to the big $$$. Also, I honestly think the structure of peer review in CS field is hurting it. While using conferences instead of journals has facilitated a more open science approach to things, its also resulted in all research being reviewed in a speedy manner due to the massive amounts of papers and the small number of reviewers willing to work for the increasing number of conferences. This leads to a shortage of time and man power and has resulted in more weight being given to metrics and reported results with the actual progress of the scientific thought in the research becoming a distant secondary. It may also be the fact that CS went from being a mathish research field to being a scientific one and the people doing review are not equipped with the experience of doing experimental science. Whatever it is, the current environment in this field cant last and will soonish start producing crap that people will turn on and the result will be another DL winter.
Sounds more like growing pains than a deflation of a field though.

I think I take a longer stance of, "Is shit going to be much better in 5 or 10 years?" and my answer is "fuck yeah it will". It might do so on the blood and sweat of the poor sons of bitches that have to read hundreds of regurgitated papers trying to find the novel needle in the haystack, but fuck those guys anyway am I right?

Speaking personally as a guy who can skim the proven tech that might've been made ~2-3 years ago, and use it to solve real-world problems, deep learning is great and hype is high.

iannis

Musty Nester
Might be why they quit using it. Sounds like magic to the ignorant, sounds ignorant to the educated.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Sounds more like growing pains than a deflation of a field though.

I think I take a longer stance of, "Is shit going to be much better in 5 or 10 years?" and my answer is "fuck yeah it will". It might do so on the blood and sweat of the poor sons of bitches that have to read hundreds of regurgitated papers trying to find the novel needle in the haystack, but fuck those guys anyway am I right?

Speaking personally as a guy who can skim the proven tech that might've been made ~2-3 years ago, and use it to solve real-world problems, deep learning is great and hype is high.
Growing pains sounds very likely. Once its grown and becomes established, it stops being novel and stops being hyped.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It’s not an individual blog post you stupid fuck. It’s about hyping up unproven and untested shit in order to get clicks. What happens when this piece of science is debunked? How will that affect public perception of use of tax funds? You are right that science needs to be presented to a wide audience in order to continue its support. You are a stupid mother fucker for thinking that hyping up unknown science is in a useful way to go about it.

You think this Ars post is potentially going to derail science and cause some drastic loss of funds to science in general, that's your counterargument now?

You are devolving into being so much more retarded than you initially called me out to be lol

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You think this Ars post is potentially going to derail science and cause some drastic loss of funds to science in general, that's your counterargument now?

You are devolving into being so much more retarded than you initially called me out to be lol
Here is my counterargument:

:emoji_fork_knife_plate::emoji_poop::emoji_coffin::emoji_gay_pride_flag:

• 1Worf

Cybsled

Next time someone complains about how US should be metric

Imperial units had basis in the ROMAN EMPIRE, which means the US is the true successor to the greatest empire in history lol

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Every so often I still run across someones timber cruise and they have it listed by chains. 80 chains in a mile. My brain is full of useless shit.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
imperial volume units make sense to me at least, just powers of 2 for the most part.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Scientists admitting their work isn't reproducible. Hopefully this starts a trend.
Buried a little deeper in the article is the real issue: scientists are rewarded for getting good results published, so there is no incentive to reproduce their work, especially if the paper is kind of a "one-off" set of studies.

Most scientists are short on time and short on money, and virtually all of their career success is linked to high-impact publications and successful grant applications. Reproducing work from successful studies won't really help you get either, so it's far more rewarding to move on to the next paper, especially in a competitive field where many groups are "racing" to the next milestone.

Some prominent researchers are lucky to reach a point in their careers where they can afford to slow down and check things, particularly when they are a big name with tons of finding and an army of grad students / post docs. But what about that young investigator who has spent 10-15 years working towards tenure? Retracting a Science article could literally sink their entire career, so not only is there no incentive to reproduce that work, there is actually every motivation to file it away and move on.

A lot of the reproducibility issues come to light when technologies move past the research stage and begin development. But for most academics, that is never even on their radar for their entire career.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Buried a little deeper in the article is the real issue: scientists are rewarded for getting good results published, so there is no incentive to reproduce their work, especially if the paper is kind of a "one-off" set of studies.

Most scientists are short on time and short on money, and virtually all of their career success is linked to high-impact publications and successful grant applications. Reproducing work from successful studies won't really help you get either, so it's far more rewarding to move on to the next paper, especially in a competitive field where many groups are "racing" to the next milestone.

Some prominent researchers are lucky to reach a point in their careers where they can afford to slow down and check things, particularly when they are a big name with tons of finding and an army of grad students / post docs. But what about that young investigator who has spent 10-15 years working towards tenure? Retracting a Science article could literally sink their entire career, so not only is there no incentive to reproduce that work, there is actually every motivation to file it away and move on.

A lot of the reproducibility issues come to light when technologies move past the research stage and begin development. But for most academics, that is never even on their radar for their entire career.

Yep, the publish or perish mantra, and the disdain for negative results, is one of the main issues behind this. Also that reviewing papers is extracurricular work, you don't get paid, and you have to do it a lot before you can get into a nice role on an editor board for a journal or similar, which is why you can't spend too much time reviewing one single study. Another issue is that experiments are getting exponentially more intricate, complex, time-consuming and particularly expensive to perform.

Cybsled

wormie wormie

QUANTUM DICK PILLS, BROTHER.

QUANTUM. DICK. PILLS.

Wouldn’t a quantum dick pill mean it exists in 2 states simultaneously?

“this isn’t working!”

“sure it is. Your eyeballs just can not comprehend the multiple quantum states! That will be $500 no refunds”

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users