Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Figure 1:

F1.medium.gif
I just don't get it. The bees have two paths to choose from. Just like I said, just like the paper says, and just like you say.

Proper tests have ONE path to the reward, which is opened or closed based on actions between question and reward. The bees are solving how determine the correct path, which brings complete incoherence to every other part of the test. It's a terribly designed experiment that means absolutely nothing, much like quantum entanglement. I bet if you put two genders on the path and put a penis as the question, the bees would still be able to solve it. The lack of control condition is equally baffling and abhorrent.

This is what retards like you are doing to ruin science.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I just don't get it. The bees have two paths to choose from. Just like I said, just like the paper says, and just like you say.

Proper tests have ONE path to the reward, which is opened or closed based on actions between question and reward. The bees are solving how determine the correct path, which brings complete incoherence to every other part of the test. It's a terribly designed experiment that means absolutely nothing, much like quantum entanglement. I bet if you put two genders on the path and put a penis as the question, the bees would still be able to solve it. The lack of control condition is equally baffling and abhorrent.

This is what retards like you are doing to ruin science.
Did you read the article and the sources it cites?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Abstract: Honey bees are essential pollinators threatened by colony losses linked to the spread of parasites and pathogens. Here, we report a new approach for manipulating bee gene expression and protecting bee health. We engineered a symbiotic bee gut bacterium, Snodgrassella alvi, to induce eukaryotic RNA interference (RNAi) immune responses. We show that engineered S. alvi can stably recolonize bees and produce double-stranded RNA to activate RNAi and repress host gene expression, thereby altering bee physiology, behavior, and growth. We used this approach to improve bee survival after a viral challenge, and we show that engineered S. alvi can kill parasitic Varroa mites by triggering the mite RNAi response. This symbiont-mediated RNAi approach is a tool for studying bee functional genomics and potentially for safeguarding bee health.

Great, science is making super-bees that will be resistant to raid and be able to do calculus.

But seriously, great for them. I don't know if this is that substantial, but I'm confident that we'd be able to figure out what is killing bees and find a way to stop it, it's just a matter of time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yes, other humans. And no competition between humans is STILL very much a competition for animal survival and the propagation of the fittest.

And finally yes, it is VERY MUCH a contest between poodles and wolves. And what you "have inside" is, was, and will always be what matters.

It'll be these guys

View attachment 250221

versus these guys:

View attachment 250222

Best of luck, poodles.

I just saw a forum of incels try arguing that reproductive competition no longer exists in humans.

Idk how you do it khorum, in situations where I would lose the patience to explain myself, you seem to get more :p

• 1Worf

iannis

Musty Nester
Her research isnt about teaching bees math though. Its about measuring their numerical cognition. The title of that article is whatever, the subtitle refers to the bees doing basic arithmetic. The second paragraph links to two of her studies

and

neither of which is about doing math. One is about the bees ability to recognize zero as less than any other value and the other the ability to determine when adding or subtracting 1 leads to a preferable outcome. Both suggest that bees posses numerical cognition on the level of parrots, non human primates and small human children, a fact which makes bees an excellent model organism for numerical cognition.

However, as excellent as bees are, even they would not refer to Ms Howard as hot. She is a 6.
Any girl with a doctorate in a real science gets a handicap of 3 though. So it makes her a nine!

It would take a while to prove bees are abstracting symbols into numbers and manipulating them. But it could be done. She seems to have made a very solid first step. She has proven a necessary precursor abstraction even being super skeptical about the meaning of her observations. Which is a thing. You could, being equally skeptical, claim that maybe bees just memorize some salient characteristic of the object of their gathering and there is no abstraction involved in their behavior. It's all dumb and rote. Maybe some of it is dumb and rote, I would imagine some of it is, but it's not all dumb and rote.

Incremental progress. That's how it works.

Last edited:

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I just saw a forum of incels try arguing that reproductive competition no longer exists in humans.
It does. It's just that the scoring isn't much related to the natural world, since more and more of us don't exist in a natural world.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It does. It's just that the scoring isn't much related to the natural world, since more and more of us don't exist in a natural world.

Eh, I'm gonna side with the incels for a sec and disagree with this too tho. First, remember that "only stupid people are breeding" -- the lower one's IQ, the more likely they are to reproduce, even in the first world. And even with that gender neutral fact in mind, women in particular absolutely go for the "alpha" in the "natural" sense, and have only become MORE enabled to do so with the advent of the 21st century first world.

iannis

Musty Nester
Meh. Only stupid people are breeding is a metaphor. It's funny, it's insightful in a way, it's even true in a way, but it's not actually true.

Reproductive competition certainly still exists in humans. You've got to be willfully blind to think it doesn't. Which, sure, incels.

But you know, we haven't been breeding for base survivial traits in a very long time. Even regressed societies don't. There was a time when we did that, i'm sure, but it lies in prehistory. There are vestiges of it you can easily see in the contemporary population. To ascribe intention to it is a mistake of hindsight, I think. It's applying the wrong perspective.

It can be useful to apply the wrong perspective to a problem in order to recognize a trait or pattern that you cannot find with the proper perspective. I mean fuck that's a great trick. But this isn't a case like that. You have to translate that observation you allowed yourself to make back into the proper perspective. Or else you've just done a dumb.

Basically what uker said. We are still responding and adapting to the environment. That environment has changed. The reason it changed is interesting, but not relevant.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
To ascribe intention to it is a mistake of hindsight, I think.

I wasn't doing that. That would imply logical thought, whereas the people doing the behavior I mentioned are going purely based on gut (or crotch) feeling.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Mind for clarity, I suppose, that I'm a pretty attractive guy with a big dick and had as much casual sex as I wanted (which ended up not being a lot) in college.

And no I'm not saying that for bragging rights, I've ended up putting my dick in crazy too often and it's done me more harm than good.

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
I wasn't doing that. That would imply logical thought, whereas the people doing the behavior I mentioned are going purely based on gut (or crotch) feeling.

Oh, I know. But those incels seem to be. I get way too loose with the word "you".

• 1Worf

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
One of the best example is diabetic increase:

Our modern environment makes diabetes less of a handicap. Therefore, its side benefits are increasing its prevalence.

There is no evolution without consequence, and modern medicine removes a lot of consequence for a lot of inferior genes. The fact that he claims that negative genes that aren't negative with medicine are spreading and claims it is proof positive of it being positive evolution is dubious at best.

Removing consequence from evolution via science means it is no long an evolutionary negative trait, thus bad traits can thrive in successful societies. This is more straight forward and logical without the need for further explination. I really feel like this is just a corona disinformation campaign.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There is no evolution without consequence, and modern medicine removes a lot of consequence for a lot of inferior genes. The fact that he claims that negative genes that aren't negative with medicine are spreading and claims it is proof positive of it being positive evolution is dubious at best.
Positive evolutionary pressure is a purely technical term, meaning that the frequency of a gene is increasing faster than genetic drift can account for. This almost always indicate that the good aspects of a gene outweigh the bad aspects - in the current environment.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
He literally can't understand how eating an apple doesn't create a negative immortal non physical Apple that exists in another dimension.

It's fucking hilarious.
It’s not about a negative mass you stupid fuck. It’s about the change in mass being negative. I know you can’t be stupid enough to believe no negative change happens so it must be that you are too fucking stupid to be able to abstract the difference between the two concepts.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
It’s not about a negative mass you stupid fuck. It’s about the change in mass being negative. I know you can’t be stupid enough to believe no negative change happens so it must be that you are too fucking stupid to be able to abstract the difference between the two concepts.

It's like watching a stroke in slow motion with you.

That's essentially what everyone was saying

• 1Worf