Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
I'd pay good money to see them feed FoH forums into that bot!

MIT fed an AI data from Reddit, and now it thinks of nothing but murder

I just read the article and it is beyond retarded. So if I understand correctly they had the AI scan a bunch of disturbing pictures from a reddit forum and it also referenced those pictures to those people's comment on the forum. They then showed the AI ink blots and asked it what it was most like and the AI picked comments from the pictures it thought it was most like.

Fuck me, how retarded is acadamia now.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I just read the article and it is beyond retarded. So if I understand correctly they had the AI scan a bunch of disturbing pictures from a reddit forum and it also referenced those pictures to those people's comment on the forum. They then showed the AI ink blots and asked it what it was most like and the AI picked comments from the pictures it thought it was most like.

Fuck me, how retarded is acadamia now.
Thanks for explaining it zo i dont have to, lol

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
BCG vaccine (a tuberculosis vaccine that is not 100% effective and only used in high-risk countries) may increase insulin sensitivity in Type 1 diabetics via epigenetic changes. While it's not a cure, it may enable people with Type 1 to more easily keep their sugar under control.

Always interesting to see new applications of old technology. Speaking of which, intranasal insulin is currently being investigated as an Alzheimer's treatment (it appears to flush beta-amyloid out of the brain and may reverse disease progression to a certain point, not just slow it down.)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I got tick the other day.

It's a huge problem for moose in Alaska. Some kind of climate change is causing an increase in ticks that moose have a tough time with because they are shit at cleaning themselves. Ticks will basically create a colony on the moose or something, until their entire body is covered in them. They call them ghost moose.

gross warning:
01ghostmoose.jpg

Ghost-Moose-deaths-6.jpg

I don't know what can be done to help them, but if some of my tax $$$ went to promoting the extinction of mosquitos and ticks I'd be happy about it.

The thing I never understood about genetic solutions like:
Bill Gates sees CRISPR gene drive eradicating mosquitoes in Africa by 2029

Is how a population of mosquitos that eradicated themselves wouldn't just immediately kill themselves off before infecting the larger population.

edit:
The paradox Burt had to solve is how something very bad for mosquitoes could also be spread by them. One answer, he saw, was a selfish gene that is harmless if one copy is present but causes sterility if two copies are. (Like humans, mosquitoes have two sets of chromosomes, one from each parent.) Starting with a male mosquito with one copy, the selfish gene will ensure that it ends up in every one of his sperm, rather than just half. That way any offspring with a wild mosquito will also be carriers, as will all their offspring’s offspring. As a result, the gene will rocket through the population.

Eventually, it becomes likely that any mating pair of mosquitoes will both be carriers—and their offspring, with two copies, will be infertile. Quickly, the population will crash, reeling from the genetic poison. On my dog-eared copy of Burt’s paper, I underlined its concluding sentences: “Clearly, the technology described here is not to be used lightly. Given the suffering caused by some species, neither is it obviously one to be ignored.”

I guess that makes sense. But with so much genetic variety I imagine it'd be a constant war of deploying new strains of genetic attacks, killing huge populations of mosquitos, then them breeding out some resistance to the genetic issue and you'd have to create a new attack vector. Maybe there's enough attack vectors that you could basically cycle them until the mosquito population is so eradicated that the problem becomes finding wild mosquitos (ie: extinction), which would be a good day.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I got tick the other day.

It's a huge problem for moose in Alaska. Some kind of climate change is causing an increase in ticks that moose have a tough time with because they are shit at cleaning themselves. Ticks will basically create a colony on the moose or something, until their entire body is covered in them. They call them ghost moose.

gross warning:
01ghostmoose.jpg

Ghost-Moose-deaths-6.jpg

I don't know what can be done to help them, but if some of my tax $$$ went to promoting the extinction of mosquitos and ticks I'd be happy about it.

The thing I never understood about genetic solutions like:
Bill Gates sees CRISPR gene drive eradicating mosquitoes in Africa by 2029

Is how a population of mosquitos that eradicated themselves wouldn't just immediately kill themselves off before infecting the larger population.

edit:

I guess that makes sense. But with so much genetic variety I imagine it'd be a constant war of deploying new strains of genetic attacks, killing huge populations of mosquitos, then them breeding out some resistance to the genetic issue and you'd have to create a new attack vector. Maybe there's enough attack vectors that you could basically cycle them until the mosquito population is so eradicated that the problem becomes finding wild mosquitos (ie: extinction), which would be a good day.
On one hand i would love to be there when we exterminate pests like mosquitoes or ticks but on the other hand am a bit worried we dont mess up a larger food chain by eliminating them completely. If those little tick fuckers can make us allergic to red meat why cant we make the allergic to humans?

Cybsled

Make them allergic to dogs as well while you are at it. My sister's dog died after it was bitten by a tick and contracted a disease from it. The lone star tick needs to be made extinct, though. Those fuckers will CHASE you and they're the ones with the meat allergy.