Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
EWE19c_VcAAWR_O.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Skip to 39:30

Not sure what to think about it yet. He clearly has enough knowledge of math to speak the language.
Not sure about anything he said, but he has the hair style I would grow if I spent 30 years being genetically bald and then woke up and start growing a thick forest of jet black hair.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Paper in Cell about using a brain implant to bypass spinal cord injuries and restore sensation in limbs. The same tech was used in the other direction to allow motor function to return in another lab.

The chip interfaces are pretty amazing and the person with the implant has had it in his head for years now with no serious side effects.

• 3Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

Huge!

I came in here expecting to shit on a QE paper and left disappointed.

I'll do something weird and give this paper the thumbs up. It shows a divergence from the typical QE/quantum bullshittery and actually has a sensible approach with limited bias that shows a mind willing to look toward scientific achievement, including [gasp] aknowledgement of the problems in the theory. The only big black mark is the lack of data, and one must also consider that the results are presented often as a probability of being right at any time, though probabilities are a fundamental part of quantum anything.

The supplementary material was more interesting than the paper itself.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I came in here expecting to shit on a QE paper and left disappointed.

I'll do something weird and give this paper the thumbs up. It shows a divergence from the typical QE/quantum bullshittery and actually has a sensible approach with limited bias that shows a mind willing to look toward scientific achievement, including [gasp] aknowledgement of the problems in the theory. The only big black mark is the lack of data, and one must also consider that the results are presented often as a probability of being right at any time, though probabilities are a fundamental part of quantum anything.

The supplementary material was more interesting than the paper itself.
Don’t lie. We all know you don’t believe in physics because negative numbers.

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I heard a million Vegans all cry out in terror after watching these.
I love science.

This is one of the coolest talks on plant biology I've seen, but I recently watched this Onion piece and can't get it out of my head when I see scientists who study the behavior of flora/fauna.

I like to think that a given biologists' real focus is extracting some kind of information in their study that attempts to tangibly helps humanity in some way and the talks they give showing how much they have to fuck with a venus fly trap is just for fun and kids. But sometimes I wonder.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Big breakthrough.
In tandem with the usual electromagnetic pulses used to control quantum systems, the team applied an additional continuous alternating magnetic field. By precisely tuning this field, the scientists could rapidly rotate the electron spins and allow the system to "tune out" the rest of the noise.

"To get a sense of the principle, it's like sitting on a merry-go-round with people yelling all around you," Miao explained. "When the ride is still, you can hear them perfectly, but if you're rapidly spinning, the noise blurs into a background."

This small change allowed the system to stay coherent up to 22 milliseconds, four orders of magnitude higher than without the modification—and far longer than any previously reported electron spin system. (For comparison, a blink of an eye takes about 350 milliseconds). The system is able to almost completely tune out some forms of temperature fluctuations, physical vibrations, and electromagnetic noise, all of which usually destroy quantum coherence.

• 1Like