Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Where is this NDT backlash coming from? He was on Joe Rogan recently and the YouTube comments were largely negative. I thought his audience usually liked him.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Where is this NDT backlash coming from? He was on Joe Rogan recently and the YouTube comments were largely negative. I thought his audience usually liked him.
He is a high priest of scientism and not a scientist. I disliked him for years because of that. As for Joe Rogans audience, I bet it's because NdT went hard for vaccinations (and did so in the typical scientism way) and Joe's vocal fans aren't big into hoax flu death juice.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
They’ve shown you can domesticate an animal in decades with intensive breeding specifically for animals that accept humans and excluding those that don’t.

It's a pretty neat set of experiments.

Some limitations, though:

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
If the reporting is true then this is a gigantic breakthrough, particularly because they used lasers and not some gigantic magnetic field like most other prototypes do. Fusion energy is the end game for humanity. No need for coal, oil, gas, wind, or solar. The fuel source is simple seawater because all you need is hydrogen atoms.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If the reporting is true then this is a gigantic breakthrough, particularly because they used lasers and not some gigantic magnetic field like most other prototypes do. Fusion energy is the end game for humanity. No need for coal, oil, gas, wind, or solar. The fuel source is simple seawater because all you need is hydrogen atoms.
Here's an article with little more sciency depth.

Nature.com: Nuclear-fusion lab achieves 'ignition': what does it mean?.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So how far away are we from the point where "the powers that be" can use fusion, AI, and robotics to make it so that no one ever has to work again? Like within the decade, right? What happens when the people ask them to do it and they say "no! What would all you people DO all day if you didn't work?"

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So how far away are we from the point where "the powers that be" can use fusion, AI, and robotics to make it so that no one ever has to work again? Like within the decade, right? What happens when the people ask them to do it and they say "no! What would all you people DO all day if you didn't work?"
So then everyone could sit around all day using their 3d printers to make ghost guns.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Here's an article with little more sciency depth.

Nature.com: Nuclear-fusion lab achieves 'ignition': what does it mean?.

lol

However, while the fusion reactions may have produced more than 3 megajoules of energy — more than was delivered to the target — NIF’s 192 lasers consumed 322 megajoules of energy in the process. Still, the experiment qualifies as ignition, a benchmark measure for fusion reactions that focuses on how much energy went into the target compared to how much energy was released.

edit: jesus the more you read the more you realize how big of a nothing burger this is when it comes to free energy - this isn't even a feasible track for the folks working on the energy side of the science

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Until someone actually makes a fusion reactor that produces (rather than consumes) power, I don't care. Back in the 70s, they said it would be 30 years for this. Fifty years later, it seems to still be 30 years+ in the future.

Fusion articles are always nothing burgers trying to get views. Especially the ones that try to be exciting.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Until someone actually makes a fusion reactor that produces (rather than consumes) power, I don't care. Back in the 70s, they said it would be 30 years for this. Fifty years later, it seems to still be 30 years+ in the future.

Fusion articles are always nothing burgers trying to get views. Especially the ones that try to be exciting.
I remember one article where someone said "you need a x10 ratio - of energy produced to used - to get into the commercially viable range. Under that, it's nifty physics lab stuff."

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
A lot of this is too heady for me, but I was tripping the other night and had the idea that one of the dimensions of our physical universe could be a fractional dimension / "fractal" dimension. My gut feeling was it was a phi-th (0.618033, the golden ratio) of a dimension, explaining why the Fine Structure Constant and related measured constants use phi in their definition. I'm not sure if that part is true, but recent science actually is working on conceptualizing what a fractional gravity dimension would look like! They don't outright say it in these papers, but the takeaway is essentially -- when you look up, away from the center of the gravity well you're in, you're actually LITERALLY looking into a fractal! This could explain things like the existence of Turing patterns. It could apply to other dimensions too, fractional time explains a lot of observed weirdness in our observed slice of existence. I even have a hunch that electrons exist in their own fractional dimension that extends outward from the center of the nucleus of the atom, explaining the Bohn radius and other weirdness in the observed behavior of electrons. And again, found that recent scientists have worked on it. The idea that we can exist inside of a fraction of a dimension rather than Euclidian space allows for a new conceptualization of a LOT of measured / observed weirdness in physics, and it's such an obvious idea I can't believe that it's only recently that science has been giving it a good look.

I really wish my brain worked well enough to get in on the math... I have a lot of brain fog still since chemo, makes numbers hard, but my conceptual level thinking seems way better. Like I can see the trees worse but the forest better. 🤔

What we perceive as superposition might even be a physical topology that exists inside of a fractional dimensions as well. Perhaps what we see as wave function collapse is just what happens at the bound where the fractal dimension of the quantum dimension intersects with our time dimension!

Just found this! Spacetime May Have Fractal Properties on a Quantum Scale

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of tripping. There's also recent research that shows that psychedelics do what they do because they increase the number of particles in the microtubules of our brain that are in superposition, in quantum theories of consciousness. Which would mean tripping actually extends your consciousness into the fractional dimension in a way. ^_^. Which explains a LOT of the observed / experienced weirdness of the psychedelic experience. Which will immediately make sense to anyone whose wallpaper has ever turned into a fractal after eating an eighth of mushrooms.

• 1Picard
  • 1Truth!

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
A lot of this is too heady for me, but I was tripping the other night and had the idea that one of the dimensions of our physical universe could be a fractional dimension / "fractal" dimension. My gut feeling was it was a phi-th (0.618033, the golden ratio) of a dimension, explaining why the Fine Structure Constant and related measured constants use phi in their definition. I'm not sure if that part is true, but recent science actually is working on conceptualizing what a fractional gravity dimension would look like! They don't outright say it in these papers, but the takeaway is essentially -- when you look up, away from the center of the gravity well you're in, you're actually LITERALLY looking into a fractal! This could explain things like the existence of Turing patterns. It could apply to other dimensions too, fractional time explains a lot of observed weirdness in our observed slice of existence. I even have a hunch that electrons exist in their own fractional dimension that extends outward from the center of the nucleus of the atom, explaining the Bohn radius and other weirdness in the observed behavior of electrons. And again, found that recent scientists have worked on it. The idea that we can exist inside of a fraction of a dimension rather than Euclidian space allows for a new conceptualization of a LOT of measured / observed weirdness in physics, and it's such an obvious idea I can't believe that it's only recently that science has been giving it a good look.

I really wish my brain worked well enough to get in on the math... I have a lot of brain fog still since chemo, makes numbers hard, but my conceptual level thinking seems way better. Like I can see the trees worse but the forest better. 🤔

What we perceive as superposition might even be a physical topology that exists inside of a fractional dimensions as well. Perhaps what we see as wave function collapse is just what happens at the bound where the fractal dimension of the quantum dimension intersects with our time dimension!

Just found this! Spacetime May Have Fractal Properties on a Quantum Scale

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Cool! I saw a paper earlier about a Liouville conception of fractal gravity but I didn't check it out. I think I will have to tho!

• 1Like