Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Whoa. Buried in that electron fractal vortex paper, it says that protons contain a double helix structure. That was news to me so I went digging.

More recent science. Again, implications for Turing's Chemical Basis of Morphogenesis theory! Scientists have long wondered how the DNA double helix spontaneously forms from primordial elements, very well could be because that shape resembles the structure of the interior of elementary particles!

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The temperatures they discuss are just insane. Over 100 Million degrees to get fusion conditions via magnetic pressure. Losing power to that system would be a bitch.

So...20 years til we see Plasma Canons???

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The temperatures they discuss are just insane. Over 100 Million degrees to get fusion conditions via magnetic pressure. Losing power to that system would be a bitch.

So...20 years til we see Plasma Canons???
Im in as long as we can 3-d print our own civilian versions for "hunting".

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
How do they get the changes to spread to other cells? I wanna do some editing on myself.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
How do they get the changes to spread to other cells? I wanna do some editing on myself.
fauci-face-horror-meme.png

• 1Worf

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

This is leukemia, so it’s sort of a special case, because all blood cells arise from progenitor cells in the marrow. The treatment itself doesn’t “reprogram” anything in the gal’s body, she was just given genetically modified T-cells that were designed to attack and kill all of her own native T-cells. Cancer will come back unless ALL (100%) of cancer cells are destroyed. Chemo usually aims for a 99.99% kill rate, and then a patient’s immune system is expected to mop up the last .01%. Oftentimes cancer cells have adaptations that allow them to evade immune response, which allows that .01% to hide and then come back and rear their ugly little heads on another day.

After the treatment was complete, she still needed a bone marrow transplant so that she could start producing healthy blood cells like most other leukemia patients.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

This is pretty interesting.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

The "faster than light spin" problem might be explainable by the electron literally extending into a different dimension. Probably a fractional dimension (see recent papers about the fractal dimension of electrons) which would also explain the "If the electron's charge is spread out, why don't the various parts of the electron repel one another so that the electron rapidly explodes?" problem... Fractal objects of dimensionality greater than 2 have infinite surface era to absorb the forces in.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

The "faster than light spin" problem might be explainable by the electron literally extending into a different dimension. Probably a fractional dimension (see recent papers about the fractal dimension of electrons) which would also explain the "If the electron's charge is spread out, why don't the various parts of the electron repel one another so that the electron rapidly explodes?" problem... Fractal objects of dimensionality greater than 2 have infinite surface era to absorb the forces in.
So we have arrived at a point we can send particles into other dimensions?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So we have arrived at a point we can send particles into other dimensions?
"Other dimension" doesn't mean "parallel universe" in this sense. I'm talking about spatial dimensions. Many theories of physics, most famously string theory, propose more than 3 spatial dimensions to our physical universe. String theory says there are as many as 10 spatial dimensions here.

On the other end, more recently, most of the work into describing our experienced physical reality in terms of fractal geometry has only been published in the last 10-15 years or so.

And, yes, lack of ways to directly probe these things is an issue. So I see where you were going with it. But the math holds up so far!

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
"Other dimension" doesn't mean "parallel universe" in this sense. I'm talking about spatial dimensions. Many theories of physics, most famously string theory, propose more than 3 spatial dimensions to our physical universe. String theory says there are as many as 10 spatial dimensions here.

On the other end, more recently, most of the work into describing our experienced physical reality in terms of fractal geometry has only been published in the last 10-15 years or so.

And, yes, lack of ways to directly probe these things is an issue. So I see where you were going with it. But the math holds up so far!

thinking hard elizabeth holmes GIF by Vulture.com

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
See: Plato's Cave analogy / John Locke discussing qualia, etc., for why these extra dimensions are so inaccessible to us without the aid of the advanced tools available to the scientists at places like CERN. :)

We know space isn't Euclidean. The revelation that our experienced reality isn't actually 3D shouldn't be that surprising.

Fractal dimension of gravity is a wonderful compliment that helps explain the curved space described by special relativity btw.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Biology is a little over my head compared to physics but this seems huge :O

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Leaton

Trakanon Raider
Biology is a little over my head compared to physics but this seems huge :O

Dna is biological command codes so yeah, once we get advanced enough, we will know how to write dna codes and assign a name to said code like naming a folder.

I think we will finally get rid of cancer in about twenty years time.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Dna is biological command codes so yeah, once we get advanced enough, we will know how to write dna codes and assign a name to said code like naming a folder.

I think we will finally get rid of cancer in about twenty years time.
Never happen. Too much money involved with "fighting" cancer. Solve it and the money goes away.

• 1Moron