Skyrim

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's always been a bit dicey. Their mod manager is much better for downloading mods, but I don't let it anywhere near my mod configuration system.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just download 100 things at once with NMM and let BOSS sift through the wreckage. The real pain in the ass is having to clean a third of them with TES5Edit. It's shameful how many people upload dirty mods with ITM records in them, even some major ones with hundreds of thousands of DLs.

Decided to go with SPERG myself too, SkyRe just seemed unnecessarily complicated and bloated with things that didn't sound like good ideas at all.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
To those asking about the clouds/rain, it would seem you can literally walk up to/into the rain.
Mod description:
This pretty much does what it says on the tin.
These clouds are real 3D objects which will react to the current weather.
You can touch them, fly through them, fly over them, fly under them, drink them when they rain on you
(you can see rain in the distance)
....THE SKY'S THE LIMIT
biggrin.png

Clouds are controlled by a script which will give the cloud layer a random height and coverage based on the current weather type. There are also chances of 'extreme' events, such as 100% coverage at a low height,
or even no clouds at all.
In addition to regular clouds, you will also encounter rain clouds which dump their load off in the distance.
Rain clouds also double as fog at close distances as the rain effect can look like fog up close.

Features:
. Pseudo-volumetric clouds .

. Distant rain effects .

. Clouds react to weather, (low dense coverage during fog/rain/snow, sparse high coverage for clear weather) .

. Random variation to cloud coverage and altitude to maximize weather diversity .

. Blends perfectly with Skyrim's already existing cloud and sky textures. .

. full compatibility with pretty much everything (including other weather mods) .

. And all this with no noticeable performance hit!
biggrin.png

Vorph

You're talking about theReal Cloudsmod though. Which is indeed really cool, but also really buggy as it's a brand new mod. The author posted that he's redoing it from scratch using particle systems which should get rid of the really strange bugs it causes. I would not recommend using it until then.

Knytestorme didn't specify if he was using that in his screenshots, or just Climates of Tamriel. If he is using it, the bugs would explain the Too Much Brown screenshot, because the clouds amplifying any colored light is one of the major issues right now.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
True, I assume its that mod though because I've used CoT and a couple of other weather mods and hadn't seen effects like that before, while real clouds is a new mod.

Vorph

BOSS sets your load order for you based on a database of every popular mod. NMM makes you do it by hand.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So with BOSS, do I just activate all the MODs I want to use in Nexus Mod Manager, then Run Boss from the GUI thing and it does it all automatically?

Vorph

Yes. Read the log file it generates carefully (should open up in your web browser automatically). Recognized plugins are the ones that it re-ordered for you, unrecognized just get dumped at the end of the load order and you may need to figure out where they go. Or get rid of them, because unless they are brand new and haven't been added to the database yet, they are probably old and outdated.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Time to play Skyrim for the 5th time! If I make it all the way through again I should hit 900 or so hours played. Freaking love PC gaming.

Vorph

I just picked Skyrim back up after someone linked me this mod, SPERG:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24445/?

The Somethingawful thread by the author if you're registered over there, including v4.0 beta link:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1

This thing is amazing. It mainly changes the perk setup such that all the +gooderer and -tedium perks are automatically awarded to your character as your skills level up. Then it chops the amount of perk points you get in half, and adds a bunch of perks that are actually interesting and game changing. This means spending perk points is actually something you look forward to and consider carefully, instead of just picking the next +damage perk every time.

Furthermore, most of the perks and trees have crossover effects which affect other trees and combat styles, which combined with the auto-perks from skill actually allows the player to use multiple combat styles without gimping themselves.

Check it out. The author explains the mod better than I can. The mod is lightweight, very sturdy and extremely well designed. It stays close to the spirit of the original game, just improves it immensely. Bethesda should seriously hire the guy for TES6.
Have you been playing with 4.0b4? The changes sound good, but if it's missing support for the DLC stuff, I'm not sure I want to use it yet. I can't read the SA thread so I have no idea what the author has posted there recently as far as status updates.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
1. First you have to use NMM to download all the mods you want.
2. Then you have to handpick files from each mod and package them using Fallout New Vegas Mod Manager, which is just a repackaged Fallout3 Mod Manager, which is just a reskinned Oblivion mode manager.
3. Then you have to Load them up in wyre bash or whatever and set which mods you actually want.
4. Then you run BOSS to have it set up your load order
5. Then you run ASIS to do its thing
6. Then you run Reproccer to do its thing
7. Then you make wyre bash created its bashed patch.
8. two days later you can start playing the game. Have fun figuring out why it's crashing!

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
You're talking about theReal Cloudsmod though. Which is indeed really cool, but also really buggy as it's a brand new mod. The author posted that he's redoing it from scratch using particle systems which should get rid of the really strange bugs it causes. I would not recommend using it until then.

Knytestorme didn't specify if he was using that in his screenshots, or just Climates of Tamriel. If he is using it, the bugs would explain the Too Much Brown screenshot, because the clouds amplifying any colored light is one of the major issues right now.
Yeah sorry, using the volumetic clouds with RealVision, CoT and Realistic Lighting....been a little distracted with work and getting hooked baxck in to D3

Azziane_sl

shitlord
1. First you have to use NMM to download all the mods you want.
2. Then you have to handpick files from each mod and package them using Fallout New Vegas Mod Manager, which is just a repackaged Fallout3 Mod Manager, which is just a reskinned Oblivion mode manager.
3. Then you have to Load them up in wyre bash or whatever and set which mods you actually want.
4. Then you run BOSS to have it set up your load order
5. Then you run ASIS to do its thing
6. Then you run Reproccer to do its thing
7. Then you make wyre bash created its bashed patch.
8. two days later you can start playing the game. Have fun figuring out why it's crashing!
I never modded skyrim - is it this involved because it's Skyrim or did you use to mod this way for, say, New vegas as well? My last PT of FONV I installed about 30 mods (maybe that's not much) and did nothing but install them with the big ones (overhauls and such) on top. I crashed a lot, of course. But all I did was a clean save after reinstalling the mods and BOSS-ordering them. Never had a problem again.

I did do the leg work before hand to make sure authors claimed their mods compatible with any overhaul or similar mod I might have. I guess you guys are trying to cram incompatible mods together? Is that what wyre bash/ASIS/reproccer do?

Elerion

N00b
Have you been playing with 4.0b4? The changes sound good, but if it's missing support for the DLC stuff, I'm not sure I want to use it yet. I can't read the SA thread so I have no idea what the author has posted there recently as far as status updates.
Nah, I've just been using 3.1, the latest official release. The changes sound good indeed, but I didn't want to fiddle with a beta when I first installed it.

Check the last ~10 pages of the SA thread, though. There are bound to be someone asking that exact question in there. Most likely you can use the 3.1 DLC patch along with the 4.0 beta mod, if not he wouldn't have a lot of people testing it.

edit: Sorry, didn't finish reading your post. I'll check the thread and see if I find an obvious answer.

edit2: He just posted 4.0b4, including a Dawnguard patch. Also, I found these quotes:
You can use SPERG without the Dragonborn patch (Newest SPERG beta has Dawnguard patch), all you will be missing is Bound Dagger scaling and matching set will be at 4 pieces instead of 3.
If you really want a Dragonborn patch you can use the one packed in a prior SPERG version. I should have the new one out before long, though.
4.0b4 is here:http://www.seorinwastaken.com/sperg/SPERG4.0b4.7z
Updated DG patch is here:http://www.mediafire.com/download/28...49/SPERG-DG.7z(apparently some bugs in the bundled version)

I'm not sure I would recommend running the beta versions without having access to the SA thread for troubleshooting and/or being a savvy mod user, though. It's beta for a reason. In any case, remember to uninstall 3.1 if you have it installed (through the in-game menu) before installing 4.0.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Honestly, I never had problems using the Nexus mod manager. Shit was easy. I just downloaded the stuff and read the instructions on what order they should be installed in.

Elerion

N00b
Yeah, NMM works just fine for me as well, with ~10 well maintained mods. Probably different if you want to run like 100 or use outdated/poorly coded mods.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Yeah, NMM works just fine for me as well, with ~10 well maintained mods. Probably different if you want to run like 100 or use outdated/poorly coded mods.
I curently have ~162 mods for skyrim and I have only ever used NMM and have no problems outside random CTD's that I'd say are due to the memory limit on Skyrim than NMM

Vorph

I never modded skyrim - is it this involved because it's Skyrim or did you use to mod this way for, say, New vegas as well? My last PT of FONV I installed about 30 mods (maybe that's not much) and did nothing but install them with the big ones (overhauls and such) on top. I crashed a lot, of course. But all I did was a clean save after reinstalling the mods and BOSS-ordering them. Never had a problem again.

I did do the leg work before hand to make sure authors claimed their mods compatible with any overhaul or similar mod I might have. I guess you guys are trying to cram incompatible mods together? Is that what wyre bash/ASIS/reproccer do?
It's only that involved for him because he uses SkyRe and ASIS. Wrye Bash is rarely needed unless you are using mods that say DO NOT USE THIS WITH X OR Y and you do it anyway.

For the vast majority of people modding Skyrim or any other Bethesda game, the only tools you need are NMM, BOSS, and TES5Edit (FNVEdit, etc.). TES5Edit is mostly optional, but I like to clean mods that have identical-to-master records in them because they can cause problems if they are near the end of your load order, and as someone who makes mods too it's just fucking sloppy work.