Skyrim

Astaire_sl

shitlord
Just downloaded the full Skyrim collection on Steam and began getting mods in order.

So I just use NMM and SKSE. Why does everyone love BOSS so much and why do I need it?

He's what I'm rolling with so far:

All Unofficial Patches
SkyUI
Bandolier
Real Clouds
Water and Terrain Enhancement
Enhanced Distant Terrain
Lush Trees and Grass
Wet and Cold
Apocalypse Spell Package
Quality World Map
Unread Books Glow
Better Dynamic Snow
JaySuS Swords

Two questions:

What are the "must haves" that I'm missing? This is my first play through on a PC. Played the hell out of it on XBox.

What mods can I add after a character has already started? I know some people say don't add any but what am I really looking at here?

Azziane_sl

shitlord
BOSS is reliable and easy to use. Has been that for years. It's a one click tool that fixes your load order. In 1 click. I don't think NMM does that at all. Last I checked (March/April so it's probably better now) NMM even had problems installing mods with missing or mislocated scripts/folders. I cannot tell from your post if you are comfortable/experienced with modding TES games. But a proper load order is critical. BOSS does 99% of that in 1 click. It's not an involved process at all (as opposed to Wrye Bash). In case modding is new to you for the love of your sanity do not start playing a serious game without being confident that your mod load order is perfect. Wrye Bashing is not as critical in my experience unless you have tons and tons of mods.

Most modders probably put a "savegame compatible" line in their readme files. Unless it's fairly obvious. Any of the big overhaul mods I would never even try to install on anything but a clean Skyrim install. Anything graphics or sound typically is completely safe to add and remove as long as you keep backups of every folder it affects.

As for specific mod next time I play I'm making a mage and using this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsRSogpIDGw

The run speed spell alone gives me naughty shivers.

Also I like using enhanced post processing/shaders mods. Iirc some of them made a world of difference with barely any hits on performance. If you google FXAA Injector you can find some videos.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
BOSS also warns about dumbshit configurations you might make. It's a really useful tool that's easy to use (unlike wyre).

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
The only problem I have with "must have omg!" mod lists is that most people are fucking retarded. For one thing, almost every time someone includes a couple 'realism' mods that make you take a shit in the woods every 3 hours or you suffer combat penalties. Secondly they usually include mods that conflict or "pick this one or that one!"

If I'm asking you for a fucking list, I want to be able to just look up each name, download it, hit boss and play. I don't want to think about whether or not I like the HDRENA mod better then the JDJKAOA mod. I don't want to watch a 5 minute video.

It's like when you ask, "Hey, I like to play a ranged class. What's the best spec for one?" and people give you bullshit answers like, "Pick whatever you like man, they're all good!" Bullshit, this isn't communist Russia. Somethings the fucking best, tell me what it is. "Well it depends on how you play..." NO, fuck you. THE BEST.

Anyways...

Your list is pretty good for 99% of people who just want a prettier Skyrim. If you want to make some changes to the game to make it slightly more interesting and fun, pick up SkyRE and Deadly Dragons. Finally pick up Falskaar for about 5~10 extra hours of stuff to do (huge as fuck quest mod).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hearing Zehn bitch about mod lists made me want to make my own. I edited the OP with the list of mods I personally use and attached the spreadsheet I use to track them all. It's not perfect and it was made pre-dragonborn DLC.

I really wish Mighty Umbra would get ported to Skyrim or maybe Lilarcor would get made for skyrim. Shit I'd just like the mighty umbra look to any sword. I'm really missing having some legendary items instead of "Generic Enchanted Items version 4"

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
What we should really just fucking do is make our own mod compilation since skyrim nexus won't allow it so people can just google "mod compilation" find us, download and install it in about 30 fucks seconds. In about 3 weeks I'll be able to seed the shit out of a torrent too.

I vote we include one of the nude mods too with tons of lacy panty addons and animated prostitution as the first core 3 mods.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Some of the shit you see and you think, "Ok they just picked that to be ironic." Then you see a screenshot or video someone made and yeah, people actually roll around with this:

scaled.php

nsfw:http://i44.tinypic.com/33p58xs.jpg

Astaire_sl

shitlord
Yea I found that my list will suffice for a new play through. I'm not trying to get crazy but Azziane made me feel better about adding graphical mods later on. I obviously get that changing a graphic file won't hurt saves while changing a character that's already fully equipped/leveled would.

What about geographic additions? Can someone load up Falskaar after throwing in 300 hours? Same with those gay alchemist valleys and custom houses like the Eagles Nest?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I loaded up Falskaar in my list (See the OP) and it worked fine except that Falskaar wanted a new version.

Geographical mods that exist in the current world can be a problem though because they don't play nice wit heach other. Mods like falskaar that have a small change in some random place that enables you to port somewhere is much safer.

Astaire_sl

shitlord
What about mods that add a small area? For instance I saw a few housing mods and all it's really doing is changing a very small section (like a shack on the side of a mountain).

I need to make sure I get this right at the beginning rather than realize I need a helluva lot more later.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Only one way to find out. The problem is that you can't just load it up and 'test' it. You have to load it all up and test it over several hours to check stability. My suggestion is to get a list of mods you want and add them one at a time as you play the game. Some mods will need to be installed before you really start your playthrough (SkyRe or similar, for example).

Graphical mods and geographical mods can generally be added later.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The Nehrim conversion got rid of fast travel, so fuck that. Taking the same path for the 14th time is not interesting. I couldn't find a fix for it. Apparently they flagged everything "indoors" to prevent fast travel.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Nehrim conversion got rid of fast travel, so fuck that. Taking the same path for the 14th time is not interesting. I couldn't find a fix for it. Apparently they flagged everything "indoors" to prevent fast travel.
I thought it said it put teleport stuff in place to prevent total travel monotony.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
News to me. I walked over the same path 4 times early in the game, and it had a switchback along it. This was basically quest 3 or 4, a simple fedex back and forth and back and forth. I then saved, went to the interwebz for solves, found none, and quitted 4ever.

The first time I was like, "DAMN Nehrim, you beautiful!" The fourth time I was like, "no."

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You get teleportation but it's so late in the game and so broad that it doesn't help much.

You rarely traverse the same area more than a few times in Nehrim because unlike Oblivion/Skyrim you aren't sent on many fedex missions across large areas. Most of the missions are local to where you are and the main quest has you move to each main area of the game. Personally it works really well and I prefer it that way. People say "Oh just don't use fast travel if you don't like it" but the quest progression has to be built from the ground up to support no fast travel. Quests like the Riften theives guild side quests are an anathema to no fast traveling.

But yeah, Nehrim is the #1 TES mod ever made and everyone should try it. I'm excited to see what that group comes up with for Skyrim but I have a feeling the passion for working unpaid probably isn't there for the same people.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
But yeah, Nehrim is the #1 TES mod ever made and everyone should try it. I'm excited to see what that group comes up with for Skyrim but I have a feeling the passion for working unpaid probably isn't there for the same people.
I missed out on Nehrim and frankly don't think it's worth going back for it at this point so, no offense, I hope you are wrong about the Skyrim mod.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
What about mods that add a small area? For instance I saw a few housing mods and all it's really doing is changing a very small section (like a shack on the side of a mountain).

I need to make sure I get this right at the beginning rather than realize I need a helluva lot more later.
When you add, say, a door on the face of a mountain what you actually do is add a script and at it as an "on click (or push E or w/e)" trigger. In the case of house mods it's basically a teleport script and the house itself is nowhere near that mountain. That's typically completely safe unless you add more than one house mod that adds their content in the exact same location/cell. I forget how indoor areas are handled but I believe as long as they have a different ID you're fine. Good (or half decent) modders always use IDs that are unlikely to be repeated. I'm not 100% sure on the technical side of the explanation but I am sure that house mods are quite safe with existing safe games.

If a house mod replaces shit that already exists in other mods you have installed is when it can give you trouble. If you install a "Whiterun Revamped" mod and then a house mod that add's a house inside Whiterun... Well don't! Both mods might be trying to change the same thing and scripts could conflict.

I rarely found a mod for any TES/FO game that I could not google and find a definite answer on compatibility. Tons of modders will either list compatibility or explain what their mods do so you can get a decent feel or what is or is not compatible. Adding a mod is not always an end-all move either. If you add a mod you re not sure about, backup your game (or plugin folder and .ini files) and save folder first. I've fucked up my game before but always got it back.