Smartphones

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone have experience with Samsung mid range phones like in the A series? I'm going to give my S10 to my wife and I rarely use a phone. More talk than anything and the ocassional text. Rarely use any apps other than my glucose monitor. I don't game but I do browse the net some, ocassional watch a youtube video or something. That's about the extent of a phone for me.

Any experience?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Go with a Nokia or something from the Android One program. Those are devices made by third parties but they run unmodified Android and the updates come from Google. They're awesome and they start at like 100$ up to 500$++.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Thanks, looking into them. I had to use the S10 cause it was a gift and the app for my blood glucose deal had limited number of phones it would run on. That's been fixed since someone relased a new app to take the phone check away.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got a 1+2 that is slowly falling apart and keeps fucking up my Strava stats with GPS losses. Damn you google for releasing this at Blizzard speed.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I are currently on Pixel XL's (Yes, Pixel 1). Looking to move to something and conflicted.

Samsung just released the 5g capable A51 and A71. Thinking about the A71. But wondering if anybody has any experience with the non-5g ones for comparison?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It looks really nice for the price. I've got a 3a XL and I'm considering getting the 4a if they give me a decent amount for trade in.

I'm going to wait until it's out in the wild though.
I'm on Google Fi (so they can record all of my conversations more easily), so I get emails the moment shit is for sale. I was looking at the 4a as well, since I'm currently rocking a 2XL (still going great though, battery time hasn't dropped off a cliff yet like my OG XL did), but I couldn't tell if it has front facing speakers or not. Have you seen anything that says one way or another? I genuinely despise rear ones that EVERYONE else seems to have. I'm so happy to hear other people's conversations better than they can hear it themselves. Speakerphone should be a hangable offense.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I've been a staunch Android supporter forever, specifically the Nexus and Pixel lines as they provide the vanilla Android experience I prefer. My brother in law is a HUGE Apple fanboy and has been trying to get me to switch for years. Well over the last couple of years he has been making a ton of money, and he told me if I would switch to an iPhone he would flat out buy me a brand new phone.

So it looks like after years of only using Android, I am going to be a new iPhone user this October (or whenever they release). I have decided my hatred for Apple does not outweigh my love for free stuff.

Any tips from anyone on how to handle the switch? I recall just not liking iOS very much and finding it a pain to work with. I suppose I could just grab my wife's phone and try and get used to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Headed back to Samsung-land after Pixels for a few years. Note s20 Ultra 5g gets here Wednesday.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm on Google Fi (so they can record all of my conversations more easily), so I get emails the moment shit is for sale. I was looking at the 4a as well, since I'm currently rocking a 2XL (still going great though, battery time hasn't dropped off a cliff yet like my OG XL did), but I couldn't tell if it has front facing speakers or not. Have you seen anything that says one way or another? I genuinely despise rear ones that EVERYONE else seems to have. I'm so happy to hear other people's conversations better than they can hear it themselves. Speakerphone should be a hangable offense.

It has the same speaker configuration as the 3a. The earpiece up top is also a speaker, then there are 2 downward facing speaker holes in the bottom, but only one of those is an actual speaker. I would consider them adequate, but nothing great on the 3a XL, I don't expect much different on the 4a.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Headed back to Samsung-land after Pixels for a few years. Note s20 Ultra 5g gets here Wednesday.

My kid has that phone, just got it like 2 weeks ago and its like a ferarri of phones. The camera on it, or should I say the multitudes of cameras are fucking amazing.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After having the Note 9 for a couple of years now, I've decided that I don't use my phone for shit, and I'm going budget phones from here on out. I say that as I eye some of the new iPhone's, but I've used the S-pen less than a dozen times in the past 2 years I've had the Note. Just isn't a need anymore.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
After having the Note 9 for a couple of years now, I've decided that I don't use my phone for shit, and I'm going budget phones from here on out. I say that as I eye some of the new iPhone's, but I've used the S-pen less than a dozen times in the past 2 years I've had the Note. Just isn't a need anymore.
I'm not sure what your level is for budget, but I'm pretty happy with the pixel 3a. For me the one feature I like more than anything else is being able to pay with my phone, and most cheaper phone can't

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

I'm with you. I bought a used Pixel 3XL several months ago because it was the only decent newish phone with front firing speakers. I watch videos on my phone all the time and can't fathom why more people don't demand it for the better sound. Unfortunately, the industry has moved away from it, so it looks like the only alternative in the future will be the sound generated by pulsing the screen. That sounds awesome from a tech POV, but I don't know how practical it will be in everyday use.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not sure what your level is for budget, but I'm pretty happy with the pixel 3a. For me the one feature I like more than anything else is being able to pay with my phone, and most cheaper phone can't
Self imposed budget, don't really have one per say. I was looking at the new smaller iPhone. They have the SE 2020 now, and in the 12 lineup there will be the smaller iPhone which I assume will be cheaper.

And I agree there's the 4a Google phone. Are they going to release more? Or is that their phone for this year?