Smartphones

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
the complaints about this isn't about privacy, it is government access and apple being the gatekeeper. That's how I see it anyway

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I wonder what switched. Wasnt apple all up in arms trying to protect some convicts/terrorist whatev phone a few years back claiming they would not hack into it when the courts wanted in? Dont remember the details, but at the time it made the news and was a big deal.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, was the san bernardino shooting if I recall correctly. I'm all for less child abuse and what this program wants to do just not the method it's taking to do it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ya, was the san bernardino shooting if I recall correctly. I'm all for less child abuse and what this program wants to do just not the method it's taking to do it.
Yeah it will become a slippery slope just like anything. Once you let the govt in, its a done deal.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm pretty tempted by the 5A as well. The speakers hardly work on my pixel 3 these days and I can't really get through the day unless i charge at lunch. The Pixel 6 sounds like it's going to be awesome but I'm not interested in spending $1000 on a phone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm pretty tempted by the 5A as well. The speakers hardly work on my pixel 3 these days and I can't really get through the day unless i charge at lunch. The Pixel 6 sounds like it's going to be awesome but I'm not interested in spending $1000 on a phone.
battery is removable on pixel3 just buy a new one dawg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm still rocking my Pixel 2XL, and it is going strong. I see all the new ones and I'm not impressed. But I worry that I'm way over the time when the battery usually starts to shit the bed, and one day I'll have to make an emergency purchase and decision.

The two things I want most in a phone (aside from the obvious shit they all have) are forward facing speakers and the fingerprint scanner on the back, which is what the 2XL has. Are there any phones currently or on the horizon that still have those options?

As an aside, I know it is for space reasons, but who the fuck ever thought backward facing speakers was a good idea? Sure, let's have the side you look at or talk into be on one side, and the sound blaring out of the other side so that everyone else can hear it better than you can. Making everyone else (me) want to murder you.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm still using the Razer 2, the forward speakers are awesome and I couldn't care less about the size and weight. Hopefully I'll get 2 more years out of it because gaming phones are insanely priced atm. I'll take a Asus Rog5 even 2 years old please.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was hoping the 13 would be at least somewhat of a step forward, not just 10% less bezel. My iPhone 6s is barely holding together.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I've had the z fold 3 now for a few weeks and I gotta say I'm not going back to regular phones again. I've been using it at work as a mini tablet and it's perfect for what I do. I don't use the camera too much so I didn't care that it's not the top end camera. They could use a better battery but using it all day at work opened as a tablet I'm around 30% battery when I leave. I have a charger at work just so I can keep it more then 30% when I have downtime. I can't find too many cons with this phone really.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Any recommendations for VOIP service providers? We've been using Google Voice for quite a while as we get shitty cell phone coverage at our house. Like all things Google, it's been in that unofficially unsupported phase for a while now. The missed and dropped calls have been piling up to the point where no longer worthwhile.

Wouldn't mind paying, just want something that actually fucking works. It's not like this is new technology. Bonus points if it supports texting via a browser. It's been nice being able to respond to text messages on my computer.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Any recommendations for VOIP service providers? We've been using Google Voice for quite a while as we get shitty cell phone coverage at our house. Like all things Google, it's been in that unofficially unsupported phase for a while now. The missed and dropped calls have been piling up to the point where no longer worthwhile.

Wouldn't mind paying, just want something that actually fucking works. It's not like this is new technology. Bonus points if it supports texting via a browser. It's been nice being able to respond to text messages on my computer.

I use Ringover for my business, pay like £24 a month for unlimited calls to a bunch of different Countries. Service has been fine. They have a desktop client, a web client and a mobile app.

Doesn't look like they have a domestic package though

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I use 8x8 at work. It's not crazy expensive. It works as needed. The support kind of blows but since you won't be setting up hunt groups and crap it's not an issue. The app is good.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>

I use voip.ms. Dirt cheap and no frills website. About $2 per month. Granted i'm a giant voip nerd and don't mind setting it up and using a 3rd party dialer app (Bria).