Smokers / Grills

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I finally officially gave up on my GMG and brought it back to Ace for a full refund. I tried working with GMG customer service, and while they were responsive enough and fairly friendly, I wasn't interested in jumping through hoops to try and get a brand new grill to work correctly. What finally pushed me over the edge was mid grilling, the temp would just continue to drop and I would sometimes have to actually switch it off and back on to get the temp back to normal. When I reached out to GMG they wanted me to take a bunch more pictures and I just wasn't interested in working that hard on a new grill. So I reached out to Ace and they took it back no questions asked.

So I went ahead and ordered the RecTeq RT-700. Of course I waited too long and they have delayed shipping on only the 700 right now, so I am without a BBQ for probably a month or so. Hopefully this is a much better experience than the GMG.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You should make your own. Here’s my base, it’s fantastic. I play with different levels of stuff and adding other things as well.

Do a light coating on the meat of mustard or honey to get rub to stick better. Either one mostly cooks off and doesn’t affect flavor. I only do the coating on long cooks like pork butts, not on ribs or pork chops. I use this on all my pork cooks.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Refrigerate for 2-3 hours after rub applied

Other stuff I’ve added trying different flavors
Ghost pepper flakes
Turmeric
Cumin
whats a good medium to use to get rub to stick to meat, like how you use eggs for breaded chicken?

or is that the refigeration process?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
whats a good medium to use to get rub to stick to meat, like how you use eggs for breaded chicken?

Do a light coating on the meat of mustard or honey to get rub to stick better.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.

For red meats Worcestershire is good too. You can also experiment with different types of mustards too.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Do a light coating on the meat of mustard or honey to get rub to stick better.

I just use yellow mustard. The vinegar evaporates off so it doesn't affect the flavor much.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok, i'm not larping here, i literally have a gallon of soy in the pantry at all times.

or would soy put it into weird flavortown?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
ok, i'm not larping here, i literally have a gallon of soy in the pantry at all times.

or would soy put it into weird flavortown?
Soy would soak in and change the flavor. Mustard, syrup, honey all just stay on the surface and cook off.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You should make your own. Here’s my base, it’s fantastic. I play with different levels of stuff and adding other things as well.

Do a light coating on the meat of mustard or honey to get rub to stick better. Either one mostly cooks off and doesn’t affect flavor. I only do the coating on long cooks like pork butts, not on ribs or pork chops. I use this on all my pork cooks.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Refrigerate for 2-3 hours after rub applied

Other stuff I’ve added trying different flavors
Ghost pepper flakes
Turmeric
Cumin
that sounds good, have you tried Heinz 57(not the ketchup) instead of mustard as a platform before rub? i did the mustard thing on my ribs for a few years. i am partial to the Weber rub. never tried making my own rub. anyway the H57 adds extra zing to whatever you're cooking.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
that sounds good, have you tried Heinz 57(not the ketchup) instead of mustard as a platform before rub? i did the mustard thing on my ribs for a few years. i am partial to the Weber rub. never tried making my own rub. anyway the H57 adds extra zing to whatever you're cooking.
you italians will try to make pasta outta anything!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
New grill showed up today. Took my daughter and I a couple hours to put it together. Fingers crossed it is better than the GMG.

1612401656664.png

1612401727687.png

1612401778721.png

Unfortunately the chimney is slightly bent. I don't think it will affect anything, but I am still going to ask them to send a new one.
1612401818439.png

1612401838390.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
New grill showed up today. Took my daughter and I a couple hours to put it together. Fingers crossed it is better than the GMG.

View attachment 332913
View attachment 332914
View attachment 332915

Unfortunately the chimney is slightly bent. I don't think it will affect anything, but I am still going to ask them to send a new one.
View attachment 332916
View attachment 332917
They better replace that. You dont want smoke escaping there and out the smoke stack.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
i'm sure you could bend it back into position for the mean time, but theres no weatherstripping/ felt thing, in between?
No which I was kind of surprised by. But the way it is designed I think it is fine. It has like a dimple that goes inside the grill itself, so it isn't just flush on there. Not sure if that makes sense. I'll see if I can get a picture.

Edit: Actually looking at it smoke can definitely escape there. It's a pretty big gap, you can kinda see the light through it.
1612453924979.png

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So I didn't even get a direct reply from them, just an email showing a new chimney was ordered and on it's way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I didn't even get a direct reply from them, just an email showing a new chimney was ordered and on it's way.
and still no gasket/weather stripping? lulz

i got this 15ft for 10bucks
Nonley BBQ Smoker Gasket Self Stick, 15 ft Grill Tape High Temp Smoker Gasket Seal Grill Gasket Seal Tape,1/8 Inch Thickness,0.5 Inch Wide

6f761802a82bfc66131658340426ee0f.png

you have a huge smoker, i only have a starter 500sq ft one, but i used one roll to line the cover (some areas i put another layer to make it wider.

and i still have a roll left, which i used to reline the chimey part, b/c the gasket that came w/ it was like some white tissue paper, it practically disintegrated.

and i also went to re line the hopper, it had the same white felt, that went away.