Smokers / Grills

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just picked up the Weber Kettle and chimney about a month ago. It's a really great versatile grill. It's well worth the money. There are tons of video's on YouTube showing how to cook stuff on it too. It's helped me learn how to cook some things I didn't know how to do before.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for the advice. Probably leaning toward the Rec Tec now. They ever go on sale or should I just pull the trigger?
I have never seen a deal on the actual smoker. What they will do is a bundle deal around yearly holidays. For example, buy the smoker and they throw in the cover and some accessories either for free or at a discount.

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
Quick question on the Rec Tecs: does the smaller (590) use less pellets than the 700? Looks like they indicate the same burn rate.

Definitely decided on one of theses, just need to decide which size.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Gotta have a gas grill for the quick shit, like steaks, chciken breast, burgers...etc... You guys actually fire up charcoal to do all this shit with? Thats a pain in the ass.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Quick question on the Rec Tecs: does the smaller (590) use less pellets than the 700? Looks like they indicate the same burn rate.

Definitely decided on one of theses, just need to decide which size.
Probably not. Here is a better answer. I am now on my 3rd smoker only due to needing a larger size(s) Go with the 700, you will want the space!

Tirant

Just pulled the trigger on the RT-700. Really fucking stoked, grabbed the 220lb pellet bundle as well. Was definitely pretty pricey but all that metals gotta be an inflation hedge right?!

Pagan as my Smoker Sherpa, tell me what to smoke first in a couple weeks

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You wont' regret it. Those things are really well built.

I'll give my standard advice to people buying smokers...

Go to www.amazingribs.com and read the articles on everything you want to cook and go from there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Just pulled the trigger on the RT-700. Really fucking stoked, grabbed the 220lb pellet bundle as well. Was definitely pretty pricey but all that metals gotta be an inflation hedge right?!

i looked at the oklahoma joes and pit bosses at lowes/hd and they all could use weatherstripping, your traeger probably could as well
1fdad235372e8de8825fb1ab5d0a01ee.png

at 10 bucks it's good to prep your grill imo
BBQ Gasket Black Smoker Grill Tape High Temp Grill Seal Self Stick Gasket, 7.5 Ft Length 1/8 Inch Thickness (2, 0.5 Inch Wide)

• 1Solidarity

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider

Nice, you will love your bull.
I have been smoking for a little over 10 years now, finally went to pellet smokers about 5 years ago due to kids and life in general and I didn't have the time to adjust a cook all day. Pork would be your easiest and "cheaper" smoke you can start with. Ribs or a shoulder would be a great start. Chicken wings and poppers are easy too. Once you get better you can move on to something like a brisket. Per Brutals comment, I would do a ton of online research with websites and youtube vids on how to smoke. I would also recommend some cook books to have. Franklin BBQ (A Meat-Smoking Manifesto) book really dives into the old school style of smoking but gives alot of great pointers on the process from start to finish that you can apply to your cook. Second, RUBS!!!! so many great rubs out there. I recommend Meat Church, Matt has some fantastic rubs and great vids on Youtube (Even though he is a Traeger guy). 2 Gringos Chupacabra rub is fantastic as well on everything. Lastly, make sure your smoker is cleaned after a few short smokes or a long smoke. Dirty smokers, will cause inconsistent temps which will causes issues and possible fires if not done.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Gotta have a gas grill for the quick shit, like steaks, chciken breast, burgers...etc... You guys actually fire up charcoal to do all this shit with? Thats a pain in the ass.
well yeah, i can just turn the gas on my stove and cook the same burger in my house that you went outside to cook. i'm not interested in that. i like to have that smokey wood flavor in the food. its the entire point of grilling. Hank Hill is not correct

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I would not say that a burger cooked on a gas grill is the same as one cooked in a pan. Charcoal does give you a flavor that's different than anything else though.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh in the summer you gonna stink up your house when you can make grilled burgers or chicken outside? No thanks ill stick to my gas webber thanks. Burgers or chicken breastages in 15 min.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I was a charcoal purist for years but I just don't want to spend 45 minutes getting ready to cook on a weeknight.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was a charcoal purist for years but I just don't want to spend 45 minutes getting ready to cook on a weeknight.
Of course you dort, who does? lol. I have my smoker and its got its place, when I have 8-12 hours to babysit the thing on a Saturday or something. But to make a quick dinner in the summer, you would be a fool not to own a gas grille, that is if you have the space of course.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I would not say that a burger cooked on a gas grill is the same as one cooked in a pan. Charcoal does give you a flavor that's different than anything else though.
my friend has a gas grill and the burgers or steaks have no grill flavor. same as when i cook on my pan in the kitchen. its the same to me. i BBQ for the flavor experience. i use different kinds of wood for different kinds of cooks. its a process and depending on what i cook, it could be hours, though burgers and dogs only take 15 minutes on a good hot charcoal grill. the difference from the gas grill and the charcoal is it takes time to get the charcoal grill going. i use a charcoal chimney and lighter cubes, so it takes me about 20 minutes for that fire to get ready for action. thatson my 22inch . on the 14 inch though, i can have that fire ready in ten minutes and cook burgers and dogs in no time. the difference to me is negligible over gas. i spend the extra minutes just cracking a cold one and enjoying the outside. its kinda silly to be in a rush to grill food for yourself. ive been BBQing for over 30 years and i got my grill game on point.

• 1Like

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
my friend has a gas grill and the burgers or steaks have no grill flavor. same as when i cook on my pan in the kitchen. its the same to me. i BBQ for the flavor experience. i use different kinds of wood for different kinds of cooks. its a process and depending on what i cook, it could be hours, though burgers and dogs only take 15 minutes on a good hot charcoal grill. the difference from the gas grill and the charcoal is it takes time to get the charcoal grill going. i use a charcoal chimney and lighter cubes, so it takes me about 20 minutes for that fire to get ready for action. thatson my 22inch . on the 14 inch though, i can have that fire ready in ten minutes and cook burgers and dogs in no time. the difference to me is negligible over gas. i spend the extra minutes just cracking a cold one and enjoying the outside. its kinda silly to be in a rush to grill food for yourself. ive been BBQing for over 30 years and i got my grill game on point.
Buy this and it takes maybe 5 minutes to get charcoal going. About the same time to get your gas grill preheated.

This coming from someone with 2 gas grills, 2 charcoal grill, and 3 smokers.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Buy this and it takes maybe 5 minutes to get charcoal going. About the same time to get your gas grill preheated.

This coming from someone with 2 gas grills, 2 charcoal grill, and 3 smokers.
if i ever need to be on a schedule for grilling, i'll grab that. the way i do it is slow and easy wins the race, with beer in between.

rush02112

This is another reason I really like the masterbuilt gravity series, ready to go in 10 minutes with that charcoal flavor!