Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Not sure what you all expected as far as the title was concerned.. Han's Wacky Adventures? A Smuggler's Tale? Kessel Run In 12 Parsecs : The Movie?

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wait a minute wasn't Solo a Mario Van Peebles action film from the 90's? ARE WE GETTING A MARIO VAN PEEBLES STAR WARS MOVIE!?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Wait a minute wasn't Solo a Mario Van Peebles action film from the 90's? ARE WE GETTING A MARIO VAN PEEBLES STAR WARS MOVIE!?
I came very close to posting that movie poster lol

Should have kept Red Cup as the title. Or Solo: A Han Solo solo film that's only so so solo.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I think we need to rename the thread now that we have the official title, otherwise some people might think it's a different movie.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Not sure what you all expected as far as the title was concerned.. Han's Wacky Adventures? A Smuggler's Tale? Kessel Run In 12 Parsecs : The Movie?

I was hoping they'd borrow a line from Bloodhound Gang, Stroking My Own Wookie: A Star Wars Story.

They really need to come up with a different subtitle for all of these anthology movies. "A Star Wars Story" is too long and overly self-indulgent to boot.

Last edited:

Jive Turkey

Karen
I was hoping they'd borrow a line from Bloodhound Gang, Stroking My Own Wookie: A Star Wars Story.

They really need to come up with a different subtitle for all of these anthology movies. "A Star Wars Story" is too long and overly self-indulgent to boot.

I thought "Star Wars Anthology" was fine the way it was, but they trust the intelligence of the public so little that they decided they should literally just write out "A Star Wars Story" instead

• 1Like

Royal

I would imagine they focus grouped it and too many people, not most but too many, were somehow confused by it.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Even dropping "Han" from the title was risky. I realize the full name wasn't a great title but going to "Solo" arguably makes even less sense because you didn't make any improvement to the title.

Is the boba movie going to be called "Fett".

It shackles what you can do with the franchise by making the title pertain to a specific individual, worse when its the characters name. Not a good sign going forward as far as creative expansion goes.

Hopefully after they pay off the purchasing price in a half decade they can start to relax with this narrow interpretation of Star Wars.

If Lucas had the balls to do anthologies we'd be getting some broader spectrum stuff-- whether it would be well received or not is another matter entirely.

I guess some amount of kudos is in order to Kathleen Kennedy and Disney for bringing some amount of balls to the franchise, that being the ability to actually put ideas into production and not sit on them for 20 years. They're at least making something.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well. the movie IS about han solo. i'd be totally okay with a movie about boba fett, just called "Fett"

if anything, your fear of it shackling the movie to a specific individual might be good for these movies. they tend to put too many characters in as it is.

edit: are you saying that movies or books named after a single character are bad? like, john wick? or huckleberry finn? or hamlet? or macbeth?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
well. the movie IS about han solo. i'd be totally okay with a movie about boba fett, just called "Fett"

if anything, your fear of it shackling the movie to a specific individual might be good for these movies. they tend to put too many characters in as it is.

edit: are you saying that movies or books named after a single character are bad? like, john wick? or huckleberry finn? or hamlet? or macbeth?

What I am saying is, I think it doesn't work as well in an anthology movie where we are revisiting characters from 30 years ago. Huckleberry Finn wasn't an anthology, neither was John Wick. Or Hamlet. Or Macbeth. Need better examples where a character is taken out of one of these works, I.e. Macbeth, and self-titled in its own movie. I don't know if this has ever been done before off the top of my head, but if anyone knows it would be Royal.

It just seems like a strange decision. If there is precedent, I'm not aware of it.

I can't find anything creative about it at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get over my gut reaction in 36 hours and it will be as inconsequential as it really is.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i guess my point is that i don't know why this being an anthology means that you can't have the title be a single name?

• 1Like

Royal

Not a single word title but it's essentially what you were talking about:

Disney-Oz-The-Great-and-Powerful-Movie.jpg

For single word I guess we could go:

Maleficent_42.jpg

That's off the top of my head for movies with a long time gap between the original and the follow up. The Wolverine movies would be additional examples though they aren't that far removed from the original X-Men.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
This movie so far has given us many reasons to be cautious about the end result, what with the directors getting fired, rumors of the first version being closer in tone to Ace Ventura in Space, and the extensive reshoots. But judging a movie based on the title itself is rather petty at this point. Let's wait and see the first teasers/trailers and then we'll have more things to base our judgment upon.

• 1Like

Royal

Solo works better than Fett because its two syllables.

When you're tacking "A Star Wars Story" after everything the syllable count it already gonna be up there. Before you know it you're veering off into The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain territory.

• 1Like

Royal

Ron Howard Reshot Nearly All of Han Solo Movie

While I doubt it fully doubled the budget reshooting 80% of a movie is going to ramp it up considerably. Not pushing the release date out means they're probably having to replace a lot of location shoots with CGI/greenscreen workarounds. The most expensive Star Wars movie to date could easily earn less than any of it's immediate predecessors.

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
thats kinda funny and insane that the entire movie got reshot. its definitely gonna be interesting, i think most people's expectations going in are that its going to be a trainwreck given all the problems but if anyone can pull it off i guess its Howard

p.s. the title of the movie shoulda been Chewie