Sports Entertainment

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
WWE vs AEW should be heating up now with HHH running things. This'll get good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I was all in on AEW but I feel like while it still has some great young stars, the injuries really fucked them up and it's their fault for letting them do all the risky 'cirque de bullshay" stuff as Jim Cornette says.

But now I kinda wanna see Logan Paul wrestle, seems like he's better than most of the AEW young prospects.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
NJPW World was only $7.80 this month for me. Exchange rate is really in my favor this month. Hopefully one day they upgrade to 1080p instead of the sub 720p resolution they use. I'd gladly pay more for it!

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure I'm headed to WM next year... so... please, please let this HHH reign be amazing and make for an amazing memorable WM.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Araxen

How does Jimmy approve of that spot? Wow...He had to have more pull than Haku.

• 1WTF

Araxen

He's back!

DqA52q.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Why can't they do the two final nights of G1 on the weekend. It's brutal the final two nights were last night and tonight(tomorrow morning really here). I want to watch it live, but I need sleep for work!

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
He's such a weird guy and a bad promo.

I hope that they don't win the trios championships, the Young Bucks don't need it and Kenny should rehab more until he can wrestle single matches with Danielson/Claudio/Black/Andrade ect.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
He's such a weird guy and a bad promo.

I hope that they don't win the trios championships, the Young Bucks don't need it and Kenny should rehab more until he can wrestle single matches with Danielson/Claudio/Black/Andrade ect.

Weird guy yeah, but a pretty decent guy, and I'd argue the best wrestler in North America at present or at least in the top 3 tier. Omega wins on performance, Bryan wins on wrestling skill, maybe Roman wins on spectacle and aura.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got something for the statistics nerds:

Starrcade '97 was WCW's highest-bought PPV ever and got about 700k buys. That number wouldn't be surpassed in the Monday Night War until some time in the following year, either WM14 or Summerslam 98, which both got a little over 700k. That ended up being the norm for the next few WMs and Summerslams (until WM17 annihilated all of them with over 1M), but nothing else topped Starrcade '97 besides those shows.

What doesn't get mentioned very often is that Starrcade '97 was also the highest buyrate for a wrestling show in a LONG time before that. The last time a PPV got that many buys was Wrestlemania 5 in 1989 which posted around 730k and was the second peak of the Hulkamania Era (the first was Andre).

So Starrcade '97 was the highest buyrate across the entire industry in EIGHT YEARS and was only beaten after that by the competition's top two shows at the absolute height of their popularity. Shame WCW couldn't capitalize on it.

Merrith

Got something for the statistics nerds:

Starrcade '97 was WCW's highest-bought PPV ever and got about 700k buys. That number wouldn't be surpassed in the Monday Night War until some time in the following year, either WM14 or Summerslam 98, which both got a little over 700k. That ended up being the norm for the next few WMs and Summerslams (until WM17 annihilated all of them with over 1M), but nothing else topped Starrcade '97 besides those shows.

What doesn't get mentioned very often is that Starrcade '97 was also the highest buyrate for a wrestling show in a LONG time before that. The last time a PPV got that many buys was Wrestlemania 5 in 1989 which posted around 730k and was the second peak of the Hulkamania Era (the first was Andre).

So Starrcade '97 was the highest buyrate across the entire industry in EIGHT YEARS and was only beaten after that by the competition's top two shows at the absolute height of their popularity. Shame WCW couldn't capitalize on it.

As someone who attended Starrcade '97 and the Monday Nitro the night after, it was a complete fuck up on their part not to just have Sting go over clean. That and the whole undercard was pretty damn weak other than Eddie v Malenko and DDP winning the US Title.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Sting doesn't go over clean, that whole finish is a failure leading to a vacant title, they waste Bret's debut, Kevin Nash no-shows because he was set to lose that night, Buff Bagwell sucks, Scott Norton sucks, Mongo sucks, etc. Even when WCW was running hot the wheels were coming off.

Merrith

Sting doesn't go over clean, that whole finish is a failure leading to a vacant title, they waste Bret's debut, Kevin Nash no-shows because he was set to lose that night, Buff Bagwell sucks, Scott Norton sucks, Mongo sucks, etc. Even when WCW was running hot the wheels were coming off.

On the Kevin Nash thing, Bischoff did an interview talking about it where he thought it was just him bsing, but apparently Nash had some issues due to his father dying of a heart attack that anytime he had heartburn or any sort of chest twinge of any kind, he always reacted to it as if he needed to get it checked out and was legit at the hospital getting tests done that night.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
On the Kevin Nash thing, Bischoff did an interview talking about it where he thought it was just him bsing, but apparently Nash had some issues due to his father dying of a heart attack that anytime he had heartburn or any sort of chest twinge of any kind, he always reacted to it as if he needed to get it checked out and was legit at the hospital getting tests done that night.

Given the big personalities and the time period it's hard to say. I always found it a little more believable that he didn't want to do the job versus genuine health concerns given that when they finally had their match it was Nash going over.

No one got mangled but goddamn they should have thought of something else.

• 1Like