Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

Disregarding that this is a cinematic and won't work ingame, both ships seem to be afk with autofire on?

When they are moving, they move like whales, and towards the end, you can see the ships shots doing nothing?

This needs another 800 mil.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Disregarding that this is a cinematic and won't work ingame, both ships seem to be afk with autofire on?

When they are moving, they move like whales, and towards the end, you can see the ships shots doing nothing?

This needs another 800 mil.
To be fair, in a realistic futuristic large ship versus large ship battle, it's not like you'd have one person manning every gun, shit is just press a button and fire all the things until it explodes. As for slow movement if they're gigantic ships that'd be pretty "normal", as far as SF space battleship stuff goes. Big ships move slow, small ship moves quick. It's basically like piloting a battlecruiser in star wars instead of the Xwings and Tie Fighters.

At least I assume that's what the scale is. Looks pretty fucking boring to me but eh.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, in a realistic futuristic large ship versus large ship battle
Reading through the Honorverse books has basically ruined gaming space battles for me. I can't watch vids without this guy popping up in my brain
1594832150477.png

to tell me how retarded all the fun combat is

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Since it’s space all that stuff could be hauling ass at half a million miles an hour. If it’s all moving that fast it looks slow!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
A realistic space battle would most likely just be plink battles at extreme range. I'm okay with lol pewpew instead because it's funner. What I don't get is that this game wastes so much time being realistic without benefiting its core gameplay, or potentially even hurting its core gameplay, and at the same time that core is not realistic at all. Is it too much to ask for just a game where you can lol pewpew in space and not fill it up with other bullshit?

yaph

Molten Core Raider
Descent Freespace was doing big ship space battles like 20 years ago in a manner that made them exciting and still made sense in the scope of space. You’d be flying a fighter in the midst of destroyers slugging it out with giant beam weapons and shooting flak at you.

And like everything else in SC, there are enough finished assets to make a game if Chris Roberts could decide what game he wants SC to be. Being an everything sim doesn’t work when every module is inferior to games that are already out and vastly more engaging.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Man I click on a stream since there's a decent amount of viewers so maybe there's new content, took 15seconds for the guy to walk through the floor and fall off the station. I get that fixing ALL collision bugs is a hard process but this shit seems to happen way too fucking often still.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
But you bring up a good point though. Bizarrely I occasionally get you tube recs from some guy who it seems is an SC fanboy as they’re tons of ‘update’ videos of him going to new places exploring etc. I gave in finally and decided to watch a few, and it was so boring I couldn’t get thru em. Yet I see that each of these videos has hundreds of thousands of views, some millions. And the comments are full of raving fanboys. I dont get it, I think it’s the backfire effect on full display

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I finally met someone in real life who has SC. He is an odd guy, has a pc that is like $20k, does some kid of AI learning shit with it. All his kids and wife all have high end rigs too, that all his whole family does, every night.

Anyways he just kind of says it’s a buggy mess, not really fun, and there’s not much game to it, he spent too much on it...but god is it beautiful. Says he just logs in once in a while and flies around for a few hours marveling at how beautiful it is.

• 2Worf

Cybsled

A realistic space battle would most likely just be plink battles at extreme range. I'm okay with lol pewpew instead because it's funner. What I don't get is that this game wastes so much time being realistic without benefiting its core gameplay, or potentially even hurting its core gameplay, and at the same time that core is not realistic at all. Is it too much to ask for just a game where you can lol pewpew in space and not fill it up with other bullshit?

Basically The Expanse and how it handles combat

1) Launch missiles from far range
2) At closer ranges, use railguns if an option
3) At much closer range, use PDC (which are also used as defense vs. missiles)

• 2Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
What I don't get is that this game wastes so much time being realistic without benefiting its core gameplay, or potentially even hurting its core gameplay, and at the same time that core is not realistic at all.

This is funny when you read the latest patch notes about "The Bartender". Basically the npc bartender has behavior around his bar, cleaning, making drinks for NPC etc...very "immersive" but ultimately adds nothing to the gameplay. They spend so much effort on stuff like this.

I remember watching a few Digital Foundry videos a few months back where they looked at the technology Star Citizen is using to make the game. Some stuff is pretty impressive to be honest, but while it might improve the "immersive factor", a lot doesn't really add to the gameplay. For example, there was a part talking about how the shadows on a planet when viewed from space are not baked shadows, but actual dynamic shadows based on the sun, clouds, mountains, weather, trees etc...it's impressive, but who cares about shadows on the planet surface when seen from space. It's like that for so many things, they are reinventing the wheel for almost everything, for very little benefit to the actual gameplay.

Still, the last time I tried at the beginning of the year, there was something strangely compelling about the game...even if most everything is kinda boring, and you're afk half the time.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
This is funny when you read the latest patch notes about "The Bartender". Basically the npc bartender has behavior around his bar, cleaning, making drinks for NPC etc...very "immersive" but ultimately adds nothing to the gameplay. They spend so much effort on stuff like this.
Not gonna reach this level of immersion no matter what they do anyway.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

This update is enough for me to drop another 1k investment.

Just realized they could have built an actual spaceship with the money donated so far. Hopium pixels win over reality.

• 1Worf

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Descent Freespace

There were so many good space fighter games back then. How the fuck has that glorious genre turned into consistant shit shows with no content for the last 15 years?

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

yaph

Molten Core Raider
There were so many good space fighter games back then. How the fuck has that glorious genre turned into consistant shit shows with no content for the last 15 years?

Thankfully the makers of free space released the source code years ago and people have been modding it since

• 2Like
The photos in that article are priceless. "This is an office space where a group of people have worked on this century's Battlecruiser 3000 for more than 5 years," the narrator intones.

• 1Like