Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Blew about $700 on this. I always got the "Arma2 in space" vibe out of it.

If you've got a solid group of friends that can coordinate with another group, many fun times can be had. It's really pretty, really cool, has its moments.

But like the Battlefield, Arma, DCS, MilSim type games, it wore thin on me. I guess I played too much Janes: Longbow II back in the late 90's early 00's to really have any of this buzz my ringer. If you're looking for in-depth RPG type story, intrigue, quests, RPG-like progression, caves with bosses, and all that, this doesn't have that and from what I gather it probably never will..

Again, not bad, game loops are actually kind of fun which surprised me, but other than that, kind of like DayZ Standalone? It just like died on me, lost all interest.

• 1Moron
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Star Citizen will forever be the poster child for Scope Creep

I think it would have been Vanguard had Microsoft been in an Activision get-a-piece-of-the-multiverse type of mood way back then. The original Vision was to have RTS elements, ship combat, sea territory, archeage style housing, diplomacy raids and diplomacy cities. I remember diplomacy cities being the part people really rolled their eyes on-- making an entire new separate game within a game, with the same budget as the "main game". 5-6 other Coming Soon (tm) things I can't be bothered to remember that would probably cost a billion dollars to produce. A Vanguard with Star Citizen's budget would have been something, I don't know what though.

Star Citizen is anomalous. I still don't understand how it stays funded. Yeah, trust fund kids buying ships. That should only go so far.

Then I see posts like this in 2022 and it all makes sense

1653075740375.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I think it would have been Vanguard had Microsoft been in an Activision get-a-piece-of-the-multiverse type of mood way back then. The original Vision was to have RTS elements, ship combat, sea territory, archeage style housing, diplomacy raids and diplomacy cities. I remember diplomacy cities being the part people really rolled their eyes on-- making an entire new separate game within a game, with the same budget as the "main game". 5-6 other Coming Soon (tm) things I can't be bothered to remember that would probably cost a billion dollars to produce. A Vanguard with Star Citizen's budget would have been something, I don't know what though.

Star Citizen is anomalous. I still don't understand how it stays funded. Yeah, trust fund kids buying ships. That should only go so far.

View attachment 413394
There is a psychological paper about whatever it is Roberts has tapped into with his space whale program worthy of a doctorate.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider

View attachment 413394

I worked with someone overseas who has dropped several thousand dollars into Star Citizen so far. Like maybe close to 10k..

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 3 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I was thinking of throwing them 50$ when they did the first fund raiser. Right now glad I didn't though..

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I have a package from the very first weeks way back in 2000 whatever. I remember seeing some email saying my account may have been compromised years later, and not caring very much.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I believe the first few years of SC donations. The last few I have zero belief in. It's privately funded at this point and I don't know what the funders were promised or what they think they'll get.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I believe the first few years of SC donations. The last few I have zero belief in. It's privately funded at this point and I don't know what the funders were promised or what they think they'll get.

Their dirty money gets cleaned.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm

View attachment 413394

Wasn't all in one shot. Was back a few years ago and I think my entry pledge or whatever it's called (the one that gives you Squadron42, access and so on), came out to $125. Which from a "collector's edition" price point of something like The Witcher or something, back in those days I didn't think it was bad.

Also, friends and I were game jaded for over a year at that point and money spent in games was zero. Blowing $150, 200+ wasn't a big deal when none of us were playing any game or MMO at that time. Then I added more ships to my collection, $100 here, $200 there and came out to that much. Many of us blow twice as much on Warhammer and other hobbies monthly, weekly even. LOL

Not defending SC btw, I was usually pretty vocal on their chat thing and would always get shot down. I was always arguing with them about lack of content or any sort of gear progression or anything and kept constantly calling it Quake in space.

At one point I got into an argument with one of the mods there about some of the regulars claiming this was going to be bigger than WoW. There's just no way, even if SC is finished tomorrow, I don't know if this Mil-Sim 'In Space' genre has that kind of pull.

And they figured this out, because last I heard they're adding more content by granulating(?) the equipment, giving it rarity (beyond the A B C system), and implementing faction grinds to acquire said rare gear.

• 1Like

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
If anyone ever plays, add me: ezaM.

All I do is sit in Arena Commander all day long, but own pretty much every ship in game if you want to fly whatever.

• 1Barf
  • 1Moron

Rael

Golden Knight of the Realm
Many of us blow twice as much on Warhammer and other hobbies monthly, weekly even. LOL

The fact they've managed to convince you that a single unfinished game is an equivalent hobby to Warhammer is quite remarkable.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
is this game out or something? saw clips from lirik, guess its buggy lol

It's been out in Alpha for 10 years now. :)

There's something to play for sure, but it's pretty bare bone and repetitive. it's definitely a sandbox where you make your own fun. Some people do play it a lot and have tons of player organized activities.

It's also very buggy.

I have played it on and off over the years for a few weeks here and there. I haven't in a few years though, and not planning on playing again until it's in beta or something in 2040 or so if I am still here. :)

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
If anyone ever plays, add me: ezaM.

All I do is sit in Arena Commander all day long, but own pretty much every ship in game if you want to fly whatever.

I can add you. I ussually do bunkers or rescue people with my flashing red space ambulance.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I don't believe this video has been posted, but it's a pretty good breakdown of the history of this entire cluster fuck. I didn't realize there were so many limitations with the Cryengine, I just need to learn about some of the backend issues I guess they're having.

Anyways long video but if you're not busy, something you neat to turn on the background.

I'm sure there's other breakdown videos out there, but this one popped up and I thought it was decent.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Always enjoy this guys videos. Especially since its academically backed up with factual data.

• 1Like