Star Trek: Discovery

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm pretty sure I'm on the same page as you. Tensions and bigotry between humans was intentionally non-existent, rather the show used other civilizations as stand ins for specific issues frequently, generally to identify a particular problem and how humanity had "moved past it". That was the core plot of a ton of TNG episodes, diplomacy or other interaction with X civilization that does Y dumb thing that real-world current humans watching the show are still dealing with. I feel like Voyager actually did not do a good job at this and instead they introduced a lot of that interpersonal crew drama based on things that had never been an issue in past series (Voyager had a lot of problems though).

Based on the trailer from Discovery it sure doesn't look like they're doing the TNG approach or even the more blatant approach of humanity still being very flawed, so much as talking up how some people will just be stupid still. Which sounds to me similar to the Voyager approach.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
No offense bro but that's a whole lot of random anti-SJW shit to blow out of your ass based on a trailer. I have no plans to watch it either but maybe you should dial back on the fantasized hysterics until you watch it.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I feel like Voyager actually did not do a good job at this and instead they introduced a lot of that interpersonal crew drama based on things that had never been an issue in past series (Voyager had a lot of problems though).

They dealt with some obscure ass topics on Voyager. Such as the short-term life of Kes, the planet that aged generations while Voyager was in orbit, the one where the backup copy of the Doctor was left behind, the Tuvix episode (that one was especially odd), the Omega particle (nukes ad nauseum)... the most real, human related topic they touched on was the relationship and marriage of Paris and Torres. They touched on intraspecies relationships starting with Spock, intraspecies parenting with Worf's parents. It's surprisingly there wasn't more mixed breeds, with as mixed race as the populace is in the US. Shit, TNG even beat the world to the gender paradigm we're seeing today.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The Kes story-arc was primed to be a full life cycle of a person within the duration of a 7 year series... and they totally fucked it up, turned the character into Nurse Chapel and then booted her off da boat only to return as a guest star villain of the week.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I never liked her, but the concept had potential. She was handled about as bad as Seven getting into a relationship.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, I never liked her, but the concept had potential. She was handled about as bad as Seven getting into a relationship.

there is no bad writing when it all is there just to get 7 of 9 as nekked as they could on TV... Trek has had some really-really random out of nowhere skimpy border line costumes...like the females with the 2 ferengi in voyager "Greed is eternal" and many others.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
there is no bad writing when it all is there just to get 7 of 9 as nekked as they could on TV... Trek has had some really-really random out of nowhere skimpy border line costumes...like the females with the 2 ferengi in voyager "Greed is eternal" and many others.

Yeahhhhh....

13.jpg

Terry_135.jpg

5bd914c3c78e3c9f3ade92ac9e57418a.jpg

tumblr_nvjqmgGKuc1sn5qdjo9_1280.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
in case we didn't need more evidence that this is probably going to be a dumpster fire
New EW Issue Details Bryan Fuller’s DISCOVERY Departure | TrekCore Blog
  • Bryan Fuller was essentially fired
  • Fuller wanted an Anthology series: Each year would be a different ship, story, & time period.
  • Fuller wanted the aesthetic to be way more in line with the Original Series
  • Fuller didn't want the director they hired for the pilot
  • Fuller's storyline was modified, and large chunks of it were tossed entirely

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
in case we didn't need more evidence that this is probably going to be a dumpster fire
New EW Issue Details Bryan Fuller’s DISCOVERY Departure | TrekCore Blog
  • Bryan Fuller was essentially fired
  • Fuller wanted an Anthology series: Each year would be a different ship, story, & time period.
  • Fuller wanted the aesthetic to be way more in line with the Original Series
  • Fuller didn't want the director they hired for the pilot
  • Fuller's storyline was modified, and large chunks of it were tossed entirely
I never thought of an anthology series for Star Trek. I fucking love that idea. Get top talent to do a year self contained storyline.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Network television is too stuck in the past, so I'm not surprised an anthology series turned them off. It's the same thing Tim Kring faced with Heroes. Network television doesn't want to take risks and having a new cast each season is definitely risky. They want to be able to depend on familiarity which keeps people coming back. It's too bad because a Star Trek anthology series sounds really cool, and likely the Star Trek name alone would've been able to carry it from season to season. Though, even if Fuller were able to get this off the ground, he never would've been able to do what he wanted since there are too many gatekeepers. Fuller's much better off working on cable, and I think Discovery is continuing to prove Star Trek would be much better off if it was in another studio's hands.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Network television is too stuck in the past, so I'm not surprised an anthology series turned them off. It's the same thing Tim Kring faced with Heroes. Network television doesn't want to take risks and having a new cast each season is definitely risky. They want to be able to depend on familiarity which keeps people coming back. It's too bad because a Star Trek anthology series sounds really cool, and likely the Star Trek name alone would've been able to carry it from season to season. Though, even if Fuller were able to get this off the ground, he never would've been able to do what he wanted since there are too many gatekeepers. Fuller's much better off working on cable, and I think Discovery is continuing to prove Star Trek would be much better off if it was in another studio's hands.

As a viewer of regular television, I also don't really expect a series that I've watched and grown accustomed to to suddenly change their entire cast or perspective. It was a challenge enough going from TNG to DS9 to VOY, let alone doing one season of 15 episodes, then flipping it again for another 15 episodes, let alone separate shows with 22 episodes, and 7 seasons each. Star Trek doesn't really fit the modality of anthology style seasons.

Goatface

think focusing on multiple ships would work better
Explorer, Battle Cruiser, and a Science vessel
could get their PoV to a huge story/event

GoT/TWD have shown stars don't have to a lot of screen time to be loved

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
'Star Trek: Discovery' Revealed as EW's New Cover

Three covers in that article. What stands out to me is the teaser:

Inside the 12-year mission to being pop culture's most beloved franchise back to TV -- And to boldly go where no woman has gone before.

What the hell does that mean?

I don't know, but at second :28-30 she is stifling a cringe while selling the concept. That can only mean dis bitch is #WOKE #REDPILLED on SJW bullshit.

Shaniqua breakin muh 4th wall. She's won me over...I like her!

Last edited:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Anthony Rapp is lookin old in that cover shoot...

I was semi-okay with the setting, despite disdain for continually mining the past instead of actually moving the story forward, but this whole 'secret daughter of Sarek' bullshit is just too much. Then again Star Trek never has been able to settle the 'scale' issue with the universe. Depending on the storyline there are either only a couple dozen cruiser-class starships and our heroes are the 'only ones in the area' while everyone knows everyone else, or there are literally hundreds of them swarming around getting blown out of the sky.

• 1Like