Star Trek: Picard

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If we dont start murdering people, western civilization is done.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it sort of baffles my mind that they would take a character that is pretty universally liked, if not adored, and create a whole new show about him, while marketing it to ALL the people who adore that character... only to show the character repeatedly getting taken down peg after peg after peg.

"Remember how much you LOVED Picard?! Well tune in next week where we see him castrated then crucified!"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

tarb

Trakanon Raider
it sort of baffles my mind that they would take a character that is pretty universally liked, if not adored, and create a whole new show about him, while marketing it to ALL the people who adore that character... only to show the character repeatedly getting taken down peg after peg after peg.

"Remember how much you LOVED Picard?! Well tune in next week where we see him castrated then crucified!"
I agree with other people who have said all of the destruction of our favorite characters and franchises are 100% Hollywood being pissed off about the 2016 election.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
"Picard is finally getting old."
Wow. Some ageism shit right there. He was never really that virile in the show -- that was really only portrayed in the movies, with swinging from wires in First Contact, the "pool of life" in Insurrection, "unsafe velocities" in Nemesis. In the show he didn't really do anything particularly athletic, thoughtless, or reckless, save maybe that one mountain climbing episode. He was always "old", cautious, and somewhat feeble (Ensign Crusher had to keep him alive once) with a strong sense of grace to him. An incredibly strong moral compass, and would literally take time to think about things after consulting with others.

"Picard is no longer relevant"
The FUCK. 20 years later and we're still talking about fucking Michael Jordan. The first guy assimilated by the Borg, a species who wiped out a significant portion of the human population, doesn't just get forgotten about. While, yeah, him asking for a Starfleet vessel may have been a bit... awkward, the response to his request was vapid and childish. Treating him like a cassette tape being handed to a 10-year-old for a weak "ha hah" is illogical to the point of breaking the suspense of disbelief by Grand Canyon proportions. Which happened a lot in this show. "Extreme shock factor" is one of the worst things to happen to media. When Jadzia kissed Arrow's mom in DS9, it wasn't shocking, it was something else. There's a way to do it without breaking the viewer's suspension.

"His resignation wrecked his relationships"
This part is supposed to make me feel bad for Raffi, and from the perspective of being an addict, I get it, but it's not Picard's fault she's fucked up. And the relationship wasn't healthy because of her, not because of him.

"And he keeps messing up"
This paragraph basically gives credence to White Power, racism, and basically defends Jim Crow laws. The author can straight fuck themselves with this paragraph. Imagine if Picard said Rosa Parks could sit anywhere on the bus that she liked and someone telling him he was an asshole. What kind of cognitive dissonance is that? The Romulans acting like big crybaby bitches for being alive and him not "saving all of them", and blaming him for something that was out of his control is again another part of the show that just didn't hold water and breaks the narrative. Elnor also being a crybaby bitch. Dude. It's been 20 years. I realize you've been raised by women, but they're more of a man than you are.

"But he's still organic"
The arrogance of organics? What about the arrogance of the synthetics? Fucking what? This makes no sense.

"His friends make him a better person"
Holy shit, Whoopi Goldberg, that racist cunt, was in a whopping 29 episodes of 176. And her presence was never about correcting what he had done, but giving him advice on what to do or wizard-like knowledge about things he wouldn't have otherwise known about. "Friends calling him out" -- what. In all of TNG, the only person to ever question his actions was Crusher, and it was done delicately with a mother's like instinct. "Please reconsider." Every other discussion was chain-of-command consultations. This isn't some bro-hood relationship bullshit where he needs to be "called out" like a Youtube video.

---

I was looking for something that sort of itemized occurrences where Picard might have chosen incorrectly, been immoral, done the wrong thing... just to give any validation to that article. This was about the best I could find, and they're equally as loose as the article on startrek.com.

Calling Worf a coward. Uhhh. First Contact. Movie. Very out of character after 7 seasons of TV.
Trusting Shinzon. Again. Movie. And he never really trusted him.
Yelling at Wesley. Dudes a kid. Imagine being 15 on the bridge of a naval carrier.... yeah. Exactly. Shut the fuck up kid.
Getting stabbed in a bar fight. This is literally a defining moment in his character arch. This is not who Picard is, it is who he was.
His fucked up relationship with his brother. So apparently ambition isn't a positive character trait. I'm not gonna feel bad about his shiftless brother, even if him and his family did die in a fire.
Dating Neela. He was not wrong in dating her, only in his capacity to allow himself to command someone he was also in a relationship with.
Relationship with Beverly. I feel like this person watched an entirely different show based on their analysis.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's been said many times before but these series are now all written backwards. Pick woke moral du jour, write story around this moral, shoehorn existing characters into story.

I was watching this video about the production of DS9 the other day, it's quite the contrast. A minor character like Garak growing in importance over time because it was an interesting character. Even the producer not knowing how a season is going to end (while already filming) because it's a living project where characters can grow. It also confirms Plinkett's point about actors and storywriting, the DS9 actors had little involvement in the writing and were just doing the scenes as handed to them.

Pretty good interview in all, starts off about the DS9 documentary but it goes into actually working on the show later on. Guy asking the questions seems genuinely interested and lets the guests do the talking. Guy with the hat is Ira Steven Behr, he wrote and produced a lot of TNG and DS9.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can never get over the animal psychologist character she played in that one episode of Castle.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
There was so much wrong with this show. I see where it could have headed, and they could have not castrated Picards character to do it.
The female admiral chastising Picard was way, way out of line and forced so badly it hurt to watch. How can you belittle a guy who has saved civilizations, Earth and the galaxy a few times? He had personal interactions with multiple deities. But oh no, he was a white dude.

For the federation being based on a semi utopian society free of bias and the petty shit we worry about today, the writers sure did a good job of cocking that whole narrative up so they could inject SJW victim card bullshit into a *fictional universe* where that pettiness has been established as eliminated.

Fuck these writers.
At least 7 of 9 kicked ass. Seeing her be a Queen was nice. I got teary about Icheb. Elnor didnt even need to be a character.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There was so much wrong with this show. I see where it could have headed, and they could have not castrated Picards character to do it.
The female admiral chastising Picard was way, way out of line and forced so badly it hurt to watch. How can you belittle a guy who has saved civilizations, Earth and the galaxy a few times? He had personal interactions with multiple deities. But oh no, he was a white dude.

For the federation being based on a semi utopian society free of bias and the petty shit we worry about today, the writers sure did a good job of cocking that whole narrative up so they could inject SJW victim card bullshit into a *fictional universe* where that pettiness has been established as eliminated.

Fuck these writers.
At least 7 of 9 kicked ass. Seeing her be a Queen was nice. I got teary about Icheb. Elnor didnt even need to be a character.
I can't say what percentage of TV audience or even Sci-Fi audience are like this. My family of 7 grew up on Star Trek, so we're all at least a little introduced to the genre. My sister's favorite is 2000's BSG. Not for the first couple seasons of great storytelling. Not for the excellent performance by Olmos that dragged most of the rest of the cast along. But for the social commentary. The enemy looks like you, indistinguishable. I watched the series on Netflix a few years later, but I guess this aired around the time as the scandal at Abu Graib.

It feels weird to me to look past all the flaws in show. Baltar, while a great performance from the actor, the character should have been shot in the first episode just from suspicious activity alone. The story goes off the rails in the 3rd season. Moore took what he did well in Star Trek, turned it up to 11 and forgot the context of Star Trek is what made the darker stuff in DS9 that much more poignant. Dualla shooting herself had 0 impact. As did Cally's murder.

We've had this conversation multiple times. She wants SJW commentary in her shows. I'm fine with show commenting on society, but only after they've crafted a good show first. And they definitely shouldn't do it on current events. Even if Picard was well done(it's not), anchoring themselves to Brexit and what have you is going to ensure that the show ages really poorly. TNG and DS9 have aged quite well. Maybe I should watch BSG again, see how it sits now.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
BSG isn't great on repeat viewings. I still really enjoy(ed) it though. Six just oozes a level of sexuality not seen that often or really since. I'd say 60-70% of the show survives on the mystery itself. Still disappointed Caprica didn't get more seasons. That one was going into some interesting territory, even if the main character had the acting skills of a junior high drama student.

Is there any TV out there that doesn't blatantly insult the viewer like Picard does? The whole "fuck you and your male white privilege" is getting old. I went back and watched the 15 seasons of NCIS on Netflix, which was a nice break from that sort of wokeism. Until season 15 where they shoehorn in an annoying black girl to replace Abby, and it really only seems like they did that to increase their diversity quota.

Anywho.... hung over tangent rant over.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If they wanted to ruin Picard. Then Stewart is just as guilt for going along with it. No sympathy for him. Shatner is still King of shitlords

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users