Star Wars: Battlefront, as told by Dice on Frostbite 3 (PS4?/XBone?/PC?)

spronk

FPS noob
utnayan will get drunk and preorder 4 copies for every console and also PC, don't worry. EA expects to sell 12m copies of Battlefront this holiday season, and it needs Utnayan's money

also you keep some (most?) power ups in between deaths so you can grab an orbital strike and just hold onto it until Y-Wings attack, don't have to hide or anything

without changes I think eventually rebels will always win Hoth, even if they nerf Orbital against walkers there are still way too many ways to put out good damage and I assume it will get even higher as levels and cards unlock. Not sure how they will balance it, be interesting to see.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
does this game have anything to make it stand aside from the hundreds of other FPS games around?

madmax can be firmly placed between the just cause / AC series of games, this game looks like its just another FPS that runs on a generic engine, with an SW skin and some related features translate (air strike is now orbital strike, omg) ..

i feel a ton of AAA+ games are simply reskins or mods offering nada specific of interest

could be me

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Authentic Lucas pew pew noises.
Have to admit myself, that the sound of a Thermal Detonator going off on my theater sound system is one of the coolest fucking sounds ever. And never gets old.

Someone needs to hire the audio engineer for this game away from EA so we can have a good game AND good sound at the same time.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except without dedicated servers using peer to peer, aim bots, and some severely broken ass systems.

I tested out Cinge's orbital strike thing and it was hilarious. One shotted the first AT-AT in the first segment, second segment I one shotted the next one. Each time I had about a 1-2 Ywing timer window because our team sucked. I cannot imagine the butt hurt on the Imp side after that happened. Have a ton of guys going 70-1 and they probably only die because they kill themselves (due to aim bots) and when I can kill someone 3 miles away from me with my blaster and they are hardly even a dot on my screen? I should either be the next Luke Skywalker or it's ridiculously broken. Let's go with the latter.

The map layout on Hoth is broken and wasn't designed with jet packs in mind (Echoing Dandain) but at the same time when you can get sniped from 4 miles away I guess that's the equalizer? Good God. And also echoing Mist on the spawn system - it is a joke. Especially after the first segment. Everyone spawns in the same area (By the rock area) unless somehow they land in a squad which seems to be pure chance at this point and gives an ability to partner spawn. And they all spawn in mass so it's hilarious.

The damage you can do to the walkers is ridiculously lop sided. With turret placements, ion grenades, the ion card for the blaster, damage is minimal unless you can hold both objectives and/or get at least 6 YWing strikes. Yet in the same breath as long as my team even has one Ywing, all I need is one orbital strike and it doesn't matter how long we held the objectives. So all I did was run around the map and find an orbital strike - once I found one, I just hid and then pow - bye bye AT-AT. This renders holding the objectives completely meaningless as long as we get one Ywing out of the deal which isn't that hard to do. And maybe I was lucky for the three matches I did this in, but Orbital strikes were not hard to come by while jet packing across the map segments looking for them and not caring about the objectives or killing imperials.

And this is just this one play mode and this particular map. 5 weeks out from launch, and we haven't even seen the rest of the game modes/maps which are probably just as broken from a game play aspect. (I do not have any faith in Dice/EA to pull off any changes in the near term either)

Hilariously broken. I may just have to buy it on sale to exploit the horrible design and have a few good laughs at how these designers have jobs.
You don't need to hide when you get a OS. The power-up stays with you no matter if you die. Only a few of them are timed or expire on death(heroes, air vehicles, ATs etc)

Have to admit myself, that the sound of a Thermal Detonator going off on my theater sound system is one of the coolest fucking sounds ever. And never gets old.

Someone needs to hire the audio engineer for this game away from EA so we can have a good game AND good sound at the same time.
I love the fire grenade one.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
I love Star Wars. I really wanted this game to essentially be Battlefield with a Star Wars skin. Unfortunately it plays super fast, like cod. It had no "squad" feel to it at all, no tactics, no teamwork. It's just run and gun, zerg, and hope your team achieves the goals of the map. Damage felt weird, I would lay into guys and they'd spin around and within a second I'm dead. Just seemed.. off? I hate the maps and the respawn system.

Visuals are gorgeous, audio fantastic, glad Star Wars is getting AAA attention, just not what I was hoping for and not my personal taste. Was basically hopin for a Republic Commando (novels) feel in a Battlefield setting.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Aaaaand now we know why the game is so light on content.

Star Wars - Official EA Site

And this beautiful set up from April.

https://www.vg247.com/2015/04/22/sta...ttlefront-dlc/

They were WAY out in front of that one this time.
smile.png

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Pretty standard stuff with the season pass. Did anyone think that wasn't going to happen? If they really want to bank they should sell people fucking spaceships so you don't have to unlock them.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Aaaaand now we know why the game is so light on content.
Can you expand on this with actual info(And not your usual speil because you hate a worker on the staff or some other nonsense)? Because this weekend thing isn't even close to being able to tell. And I would like to know about the rest of the game before I purchase.

12 maps + 2 free ones(first DLC is free). That seems like more then enough. Curious how modes mix and match across maps. Obviously things like walker assault can only happen on 1 map.

But I can't find any info on character progression, both traits, weapons, cards etc.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Battlefield 3 had 9 multiplayer maps on release. Battlefield 2142 had 10 maps on release. Battlefield 4 had 10 maps. Star Wars Battlefront (2004) had 16 and Star Wars Battlefront II had 18 (excluding space only). So 12 maps is slightly less than traditional Battle Front and more than Battle Field which this game IS NOT BASED ON TO BEGIN WITH.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Again it depends on what maps are available for what. IF you have 12 maps and 6 modes with mostly 1 map per mode a couple with 2 or 3 like TDM that is a lot different than having 6 modes all using the 12 maps or a high percentage of maps.

3 TDM maps is pretty weak sauce.

Using so few maps per game mode really limits the replayability.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I rather enjoyed the beta and would only echo the positives mentioned throughout the thread but there were definitely some things that could use some change.

Respawn system needs to be tweaked to have a lot more varied locations.
TTK needs to be increased by quite a bit. I think the movement speed is great but the game feels a tad bit arcade-y.
Cycler rifle needs to have its damage toned down a tad. I can't tell you the number of times I was able to body shot for 90% damage and follow it up with a blaster shot. One shotting folks from across the map was equally as silly.
Turret, vehicles, soldiers all need to have their own sensitivity.
Need more maps, vehicles, cards, heroes, weapons, traits, etc. but I imagine that will come down the road.
Jet packs need a bit longer cooldown to balance.

I don't know EA's plan but I would think one of their selling points for the season pass could be the drought between now and when the next SWBF releases vs. how often Battlefield itself is reiterated upon and released. I will probably pre-purchase the game but doubt I'm going to pick up the season pass until I know more about what's in it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Can you expand on this with actual info(And not your usual speil because you hate a worker on the staff or some other nonsense)? Because this weekend thing isn't even close to being able to tell. And I would like to know about the rest of the game before I purchase.

12 maps + 2 free ones(first DLC is free). That seems like more then enough. Curious how modes mix and match across maps. Obviously things like walker assault can only happen on 1 map.

But I can't find any info on character progression, both traits, weapons, cards etc.
Well, not really. Save the fact that everyone is doing it these days anyway. I am miffed that the entire business model, which seems to be more and more accepted, is that it will be $99 for a full game when maps are easy as shit to create and should be free to support the IP of the game itself (Battlefront). And in this case, like Kedwyn said, there is a strong inclination based on previous map support in other games they produce that the maps do not equate against the game modes - which would at least help a bit if it did.

I guess I long for the days of when maps were a thank you (Because they are so damn easy to produce) for supporting the company and the game. It wasn't THAT long ago when I was downloading free Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow Maps on the original Xbox. And based on what I saw on Walker Assault and Hoth, it isn't like they are pouring a lot of thought into map balance/spawn points/game balance. But, capitalism and all that. So, what do you do.

I have not bought a season pass ever, nor will I. Pre-ordering games doesn't make any sense - because there isn't a Gamestop or Bestbuy where you can't pick up the game on release day and not have all the day one codes for pre-ordering usually in the box anyway or on the receipt.

Paying $50 for a season pass no one knows anything about save some vague references to the number of maps is pretty damn silly to expect consumers to do. I wonder how much they sell. People would be better off cherry picking the DLC or waiting until all of it releases. It's almost as silly as buying episodic games (Telltale) for full price at launch and get 1/5th of your game, where if you just wait until all the episodes are released you can play it all in one setting and usually save 75% on the full title by then.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, not really. Save the fact that everyone is doing it these days anyway. I am miffed that the entire business model, which seems to be more and more accepted, is that it will be $99 for a full game when maps are easy as shit to create and should be free to support the IP of the game itself (Battlefront). And in this case, like Kedwyn said, there is a strong inclination based on previous map support in other games they produce that the maps do not equate against the game modes - which would at least help a bit if it did.
That's because, just like I've said in the past, studios have been wanting a price hike on PC games for quite a while now. It really hasn't kept up with inflation and Steam has actually made it evencheaperthan it used to be. So, they'll do everything they can to effectively price games in the $80+ range. Even if they have to cut content, features, etc. and sell it to you piecemeal under the facade that it takes "extra" development time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's because, just like I've said in the past, studios have been wanting a price hike on PC games for quite a while now. It really hasn't kept up with inflation and Steam has actually made it evencheaperthan it used to be. So, they'll do everything they can to effectively price games in the $80+ range. Even if they have to cut content, features, etc. and sell it to you piecemeal under the facade that it takes "extra" development time.
Or you know.. let the players make the maps.

Something to be said about the longevity of games like counter strike.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The people saying maps are easy to build in 2015 on modern game engines make me laugh.

Just because you made some Doom/Quake/Half Life levels in the 90s doesn't mean that we're talking about anything similar today.

Skyrim is so moddable because the content within the world is built with extremely simple geometry.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Or you know.. let the players make the maps.

Something to be said about the longevity of games like counter strike.
Obviously Battlefield was moddable and EA shut that down because they wanted to monetize it. And modding with those tools even back then wasn't difficult. I do not have a lot of love for Ubisoft, but at least they are finally coming true with how ridiculous it is to charge $49.99 for 12 maps, or $9.99 for map packs.