Stargate: Origins

spronk

FPS noob
yeah as a huge farscape fan I fucking loved Chriton and Aeryn Sun back together on TV, even though it sucked RDA was pretty much gone at that point. The episode where they lampooned sci fi tropes and momentarily showed a Farscape-ish version was just gold.

What really sucked was one of the reasons Atlantis got cancelled was that MGM figured movies were more profitable so change Atlantis to one or two movies (this is back in 2006) and keep SGU on air to be the only Stargate show. So they cancel Atlantis and begin plans on the movie, titled Stargate Extinction. Then the DVD movie market completely collapses with sales plummeting wildly very quickly over a year or two, so the movie is cancelled, and a year or two later SGU is cancelled and MGM is embroiled in money problems so they can't even think about a new show, and the guys behind the original Stargate movie want to make a new trilogy so they talk about that for years but that goes nowhere too.

Still, that 4-5 year window where scifi was pretty much dead did eventually lead to Westworld, The Expanse, 12 Monkeys, Dark Matter, Killjoys, Star Trek Discovery, The 100, Orville, etc so can't really complain, there is more sci fi on weekly/streaming TV now than there ever was in my lifetime. I haven't even watched a single episode of Star Trek or Orville and that would have been inconceivable a decade ago, NOT watching every sci fi weekly show the second it airs.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If all these shows were on one streaming service I'd subscribe and watch them. But each shitty show being on their own streaming service? Fuck that. I don't even care enough to pirate them.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
yeah as a huge farscape fan I fucking loved Chriton and Aeryn Sun back together on TV, even though it sucked RDA was pretty much gone at that point. The episode where they lampooned sci fi tropes and momentarily showed a Farscape-ish version was just gold.

What really sucked was one of the reasons Atlantis got cancelled was that MGM figured movies were more profitable so change Atlantis to one or two movies (this is back in 2006) and keep SGU on air to be the only Stargate show. So they cancel Atlantis and begin plans on the movie, titled Stargate Extinction. Then the DVD movie market completely collapses with sales plummeting wildly very quickly over a year or two, so the movie is cancelled, and a year or two later SGU is cancelled and MGM is embroiled in money problems so they can't even think about a new show, and the guys behind the original Stargate movie want to make a new trilogy so they talk about that for years but that goes nowhere too.

Still, that 4-5 year window where scifi was pretty much dead did eventually lead to Westworld, The Expanse, 12 Monkeys, Dark Matter, Killjoys, Star Trek Discovery, The 100, Orville, etc so can't really complain, there is more sci fi on weekly/streaming TV now than there ever was in my lifetime. I haven't even watched a single episode of Star Trek or Orville and that would have been inconceivable a decade ago, NOT watching every sci fi weekly show the second it airs.

God damnit... now I'm missing Farscape all over again :(

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
"Never underestimate your audience they're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment"

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK I'm still not understanding after all we saw and accomplished in two shows (fuck u SGU) we would want to go back and watch some 1928 people fuck around and get raped by the Goa'uld.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Nuttin

Silver Squire
Why do they even bother reviving this shit?

SG had a final episode, SGA had a final episode of sorts, but SGU just ended as a fucking cliffhanger and that show had some potential.

Rewinding back to the 1900 in a fucking desert and watching them excavate a ring, i'll pass watching that, I've already seen that in the original movie.

Goatface

they want to reboot the series, but that currently on hold, so guess this was their best option
probably getting made super cheap too

ShakyJake

<Donor>
they want to reboot the series, but that currently on hold, so guess this was their best option
probably getting made super cheap too
Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, and Amanda Tapping haven't been doing shit (I would say Richard Dean too but he got all bloated). Zero reason not to get them back together for some new escapades.

spronk

FPS noob
While I personally would love someone getting back the old SG-1 team together for anything, it is sort of interesting to think about the economic realities of TV nowadays. Pre 2010 it was still really advertising driven, and advertisers mostly care only about 18-34 adults because they are still at an age where they will easily switch brand loyalty based on what they see/hear, whereas as you get older you stick to the same products you've always bought.

But in this new streaming reality, all that matters is getting someone to pay $x/mo for your service. Younger people are LESS likely to pay since they are busy with RL shit and have less income, whereas older people have nothing better to do. I wonder as time goes on if we'll see stuff from Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc skew older and/or family. Which is a perfect niche for some sort of Stargate reboot.

Goatface

damn RDA is 67
Michael Shanks is only one that seems to still have very active career

always thought stargate had a good shot at staying around over most other scifi shows as it could easily do product placement

i

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This looks like shit. Stargate is my favorite franchise ever. This is so depressing.

I'd rather see a spinoff showing the Ancients in their prime. Show their war with the Wraith. Show the formation of the alliance of races.

SHOW US THE GOD DAMN FURLINGS.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, and Amanda Tapping haven't been doing shit (I would say Richard Dean too but he got all bloated). Zero reason not to get them back together for some new escapades.

Judge does the odd bit part, and he's doing the VA work for Kratos in the new God of War right now.

Rest are ded

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Tapping is directing a lot of shows based in Vancouver. She was also in that show Sanctuary.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
God damnit... now I'm missing Farscape all over again :(

I cheered when Crichton turned up as Richard Dean Anderson's replacement - absolutely loved Farscape and even watching sg1 years after it had finished I had no idea he spent a couple of seasons and movies as part of the sg1 crew.

Would love some more Farscape or Stargate, none of this shite prequel business however.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Not with a female director, better chance of seeing Jaffa-dong
a056a6297b3ee2cb8687931a94ae82c2127c66c18ac13c283df9a80482396cdf.jpg

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, they really just need to retcon the last two seasons of SG1 and go from there. The series ended with Threads and Moebius was a 2-episode special to get Atlantis a ZPM.