Steam Deals and Digital Sales

Menion_sl

shitlord
While my wallet thanks Steam, this is the worst sale ever! I have bought 1 game total the entire sale and that was an A-10 flight simulator. Which apparently has a fully modeled cockpit causing you to you need to know what every G'damn switch and knob in the damn thing does! F that I just wanted to kill tanks!
smile.png

smile.png

Silence_sl

shitlord
While my wallet thanks Steam, this is the worst sale ever! I have bought 1 game total the entire sale and that was an A-10 flight simulator. Which apparently has a fully modeled cockpit causing you to you need to know what every G'damn switch and knob in the damn thing does! F that I just wanted to kill tanks!
smile.png
Pretty shit sale on Steam all told. I loaded up, but only through GMG and even 1 physical disc from Amazon. 0 Steam purchases.

smile.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not saying this has been a great Steam sale necessarily, but if I were to count all of the games I already bought on previous Steam sales as "good deals" I probably would have come up with over 20. It's just that most of us have been buying anything remotely decent the past few years so there isn't any backlog at all. There's only so many "good" new games that come out each year, and they can't all get down to $5 right off.

Now, the fact that GMG and Amazon and others are beating them by a little bit is another argument, but as far as quantity...we just have them all already. Someone new to Steam would probably be ecstatic over Bioshock and Mass Effect and Civ, etc. We're just jaded compared to your normal consumer. Not much different than MMO burnout, really. The first time is always better than later attempts, simply because it was new to us the first time around.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Has anyone played To The Moon that cares to share their thoughts??
General consensus on CAG is that it has a really good and touching story, but that it's more of an interactive novel than an actual game. I haven't played it myself, so I can't offer any opinions in that regard, but I've heard mostly positive things about it.

Faddor_sl

shitlord
I'm not saying this has been a great Steam sale necessarily, but if I were to count all of the games I already bought on previous Steam sales as "good deals" I probably would have come up with over 20. It's just that most of us have been buying anything remotely decent the past few years so there isn't any backlog at all. There's only so many "good" new games that come out each year, and they can't all get down to $5 right off.

Now, the fact that GMG and Amazon and others are beating them by a little bit is another argument, but as far as quantity...we just have them all already. Someone new to Steam would probably be ecstatic over Bioshock and Mass Effect and Civ, etc. We're just jaded compared to your normal consumer. Not much different than MMO burnout, really. The first time is always better than later attempts, simply because it was new to us the first time around.
This argument makes no sense. They are offering, in multiple cases, the same games they have sold before but at worse prices. I love how Terraria has seen a 50% increase on its sale price from the past, for example. Games that were 99 cents in 2010 are now 2.50.

This sale sucks because the prices are higher and they have removed everything else but prices, not because of some psycho-babble bs.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
This argument makes no sense. They are offering, in multiple cases, the same games they have sold before but at worse prices. I love how Terraria has seen a 50% increase on its sale price from the past, for example. Games that were 99 cents in 2010 are now 2.50.

This sale sucks because the prices are higher and they have removed everything else but prices, not because of some psycho-babble bs.
yeah, what the fuck is with this BS? Tropico 4 is 75% off, but that's not including DLC and some other shit. I bought Tropico 4 total pack before at 75% and it was $12ish. Here, even without the recent DLC package, it's $15 in total.

Faddor_sl

shitlord
yeah, what the fuck is with this BS? Tropico 4 is 75% off, but that's not including DLC and some other shit. I bought Tropico 4 total pack before at 75% and it was $12ish. Here, even without the recent DLC package, it's $15 in total.
It would suck even if the prices were the same, because the games are all fast losing value as new shit comes out. To actually offer worse prices, on the same shit over and over again, is borderline insulting. I'd rate my previous opinion on Steam as an "A+"; it's now maybe a flat "B". They are dancing dangerously close to making me just torrent again, because it sure as fuck isn't like the money we pay for games is going to reputable/responsible companies; mostly, it goes to assholes like EA, Blizzard, Ubi etc.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Their prices this year were shit. I found every single game I bought cheaper on GMG, and a few were a lot cheaper. I bought a physical copy of Dirt 3 from Amazon for $12. Steam's best price was $25.

Weird thing is, all the stuff I bought activated over Steam.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
You guys are pretty angry over getting games for 50-75% off just because they're 51-76% off somewhere else. Lemme know when we're back to paying $60 for games and don't have a choice and maybe I'll work up some rage to join you.

It's basic business. If you are selling a mass fuckload of products, you can probably afford to raise the prices to match the demand. If no one buys your product at the new higher price, you've gone too far. This is all normal, and doesn't mean anything in the long run. There's a lot of competitors out there now trying to pull market share away from Steam, and they can't do it offering shittier prices than them. Would you even give a fuck about Green Man Gaming if they couldn't beat Steam's prices? No, of course you wouldn't.

Stop acting like the sky is falling.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
They are dancing dangerously close to making me just torrent again, because it sure as fuck isn't like the money we pay for games is going to reputable/responsible companies; mostly, it goes to assholes like EA, Blizzard, Ubi etc.
That's mainly true for AAA titles. Steam has a ton of offerings from small devs where the vast majority of your money (minus the Steam cut) goes to the people who actually made the game.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
You guys are pretty angry over getting games for 50-75% off just because they're 51-76% off somewhere else.Lemme know when we're back to paying $60 for games and don't have a choice and maybe I'll work up some rage to join you.
This logic would've worked before internet.

no one is saying the sky is falling. I think you are exaggerating things.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Went looking for Age of Mythology today for my little girl and was disappointed to find it won't work on Win 7.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Went looking for Age of Mythology today for my little girl and was disappointed to find it won't work on Win 7.
It's one of the more popular entries on GoG's wishlist and if they did get the rights they wouldn't release it without it being fixed up so you can but hope!

As for the Steam Sale, while it didn't blow my hat off, I took that more that I'd bought so much stuff in previous sales cycles there'd be very little I'd want anyway. I mostly ended up buying some indie stuff I'd only pirated before so they did at least get a few coins out of me.

I probably spent more on IOS sale stuff this year end and the way their almost constant rollercoaster pricing structure works it hooks you even worse than Steam used to. Appshopper is as addictive as checking steampowered at 6pm Uk time.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You guys are pretty angry over getting games for 50-75% off just because they're 51-76% off somewhere else. Lemme know when we're back to paying $60 for games and don't have a choice and maybe I'll work up some rage to join you.

It's basic business. If you are selling a mass fuckload of products, you can probably afford to raise the prices to match the demand. If no one buys your product at the new higher price, you've gone too far. This is all normal, and doesn't mean anything in the long run. There's a lot of competitors out there now trying to pull market share away from Steam, and they can't do it offering shittier prices than them. Would you even give a fuck about Green Man Gaming if they couldn't beat Steam's prices? No, of course you wouldn't.

Stop acting like the sky is falling.
The sentiment is that the Christmas sale last year was "WTF AWESOME!!!" and the Summer sale was "AWESOME!!!" but this sale is terrible, at least relatively speaking to the past two major sales.

When you add the fact that Amazon has caught up in terms of offering digital downloads and price matching and Green Man Gaming has been added to the mix, Steam's star has definitely faded somewhat regarding these major sales events. Further, many, many of the games that are on sale were on sale 6 months ago during the Summer sale. My memory is too foggy to know if this was repeated between last Christmas and the 2012 Summer sale.

To me, the reaction is much more a commentary on the other players getting involved in the digital distribution of games rather than being able to find them for 1% cheaper.

That being said, my experience is pretty unique... I think I bought one game last Christmas and then spent like 100 bucks over the Summer buying like 20 games.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I just took this entire sale as more of a reflection on the gaming industry than Steam.

There's just not much out right now that I want to play, or I own already as a result of previous sales. There really aren't many games right now that are OMG MUST OWN, so I'm just working through my backlog instead.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just took this entire sale as more of a reflection on the gaming industry than Steam.

There's just not much out right now that I want to play, or I own already as a result of previous sales. There really aren't many games right now that are OMG MUST OWN, so I'm just working through my backlog instead.
Agreed

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
Any opinions on Krater? Thinking of picking up the 2 pack for $6.