Stranger Things

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you were alive during the time period it's nostalgia, if you weren't it's a period drama. Nothing wrong with getting the setting correct. If you don't like the story that's fine but complaing about things that are appropriate for that time period is fucking stupid. Your fathers didn't sit around complaining about nostalgia in Mad Men. Stop being faggots.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Those dudes dont look old enough to be alive in 80s, lol.

The one guy to the left is the producer and he's old enough (49) to have come of age in that time period. But the guys who write and direct the show are the twins and they were born in '84 so there's no way they remember that stuff in a way that carries an appreciation of it.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
If you were alive during the time period it's nostalgia, if you weren't it's a period drama. Nothing wrong with getting the setting correct. If you don't like the story that's fine but complaing about things that are appropriate for that time period is fucking stupid. Your fathers didn't sit around complaining about nostalgia in Mad Men. Stop being faggots.

They didnt complain about Mad men because Mad men presumably had a serviceable plot.

This doesnt. Thats the point

• 1Picard

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There was definitely more servicing in Mad Men than there was in this.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The one guy to the left is the producer and he's old enough (49) to have come of age in that time period. But the guys who write and direct the show are the twins and they were born in '84 so there's no way they remember that stuff in a way that carries an appreciation of it.
80s nostalgia is weird because I was born in 83 and I remember essentially everything ever referred to as 80s. I think the image of the 80s everyone has must have hit prime density in like... 89 or 90. Because I sure as shit don't remember the pop culture and music from when I was 5 but I also distinctly remember the 90s.

They didnt complain about Mad men because Mad men presumably had a serviceable plot.

This doesnt. Thats the point

If you're complaining about Stranger Things' plot being a rehash of ideas done before, Mad Men's plot was just "everyone's an asshole" which has been a plot redone since forever. It's fine if you don't like the story of Stranger Things but saying it doesn't have one is just dumb.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
S2 is gonna suck, b/c the writers don't have an anime (Elfen Lied), that they can rip off, anymore.

• 1Picard

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Having been the exact age that these kids are supposed to be in 1983 AND having lived in a smallish city in Illinois I can attest that the portrayal of the 'time period' and general culture for Hawkins Indiana is pretty darn accurate.

• 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
S2 is gonna suck, b/c the writers don't have an anime (Elfen Lied), that they can rip off, anymore.

Haha you think that the kids vs government trying to hide an alien/monster storyline is from a fucking anime?

The US would like to introduce you to Stephen Spielberg. The story is a re-hash of a very popular 80s theme where kids were fighting secretive government agencies. It has nothing to do with Elfen Lied. Go watch Flight of the Navigator, or D.A.R.Y.L. or E.T. or any of the dozens of other movies from that era with the same premise and then come back here and preach about them ripping off the theme from a fucking japanese cartoon from the early 2000s... 20 years after the movies listed above.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Haha you think that the kids vs government trying to hide an alien/monster storyline is from a fucking anime?

The US would like to introduce you to Stephen Spielberg. The story is a re-hash of a very popular 80s theme where kids were fighting secretive government agencies. It has nothing to do with Elfen Lied. Go watch Flight of the Navigator, or D.A.R.Y.L. or E.T. or any of the dozens of other movies from that era with the same premise and then come back here and preach about them ripping off the theme from a fucking japanese cartoon from the early 2000s... 20 years after the movies listed above.
the writers said they were "inspired" by Elfen Lied
"Stranger Things" Creators Discuss "Elfen Lied" Anime Inspiration

• 1Picard

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So they were inspired by something that already ripped of something that ripped off something else.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
There are very few new ideas in a given century, just new technologies changing how we do the same old things.

S2 should be good, but the kids are going to stop being cute in another year or two, so if the writers aren't top notch the show won't last too long.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
There are very few new ideas in a given century, just new technologies changing how we do the same old things.

S2 should be good, but the kids are going to stop being cute in another year or two, so if the writers aren't top notch the show won't last too long.

I really enjoyed season 1, but I kind of feel the show would've worked best as an anthology series.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

They can end their story and begin a new one with new cute kids. Stranger Things and all that.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
writers are obvious shitlords, all ghostbusters portrayed were male

• 2Worf

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uh oh, they've brought a ginger girl into the 4 man squad, trouble ahead. She will be the smartest, toughest, and bravest of them.

Trailer makes S2 look goooooood.

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
DLDfSZnUQAAzm2_.jpg

• 3Like