Summer 2014 Anime Thread

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Season 1 tried too hard to pack stories into exactly 1 or 2 episodes. Season 2 is the opposite, they're going to stretch GGO and maybe Fairy Dance into 24.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I mean, it has it's cheesy moments, but so does every anime out there.

Hell, you fawn over HxH and the main character of that show does Rock, Scissor, Paper for his only special moves? That's kind of cheesy too, imo. :p (I like HxH too, so it is what it is.)
You compare the badassery of HxH which has guys being literally ripped apart to FT which can only kill off a character if it has a double from the future present? :p

I am not fond of any so called battle anime that has weak or random powerups with no excuse given. I mean god even Ichigo did some kind of training, but the shit they pull out of their ass in FT is just lame, and it garners no emotional attachment or feeling when they unless their secret attacks.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You compare the badassery of HxH which has guys being literally ripped apart to FT which can only kill off a character if it has a double from the future present? :p

I am not fond of any so called battle anime that has weak or random powerups with no excuse given. I mean god even Ichigo did some kind of training, but the shit they pull out of their ass in FT is just lame, and it garners no emotional attachment or feeling when they unless their secret attacks.
Meh, I guess we're just used to different things - I mean there are a ton of animes/mangas out there where the writer/creator seemingly has a major inability to kill off even the most minor of characters but I just usually shrug it off, as annoying as it can be. I do like Fairy Tail, however I can agree with you a bit about the whole lack of emotional attachment thing, but that's primarily due to again the style of the writer/creator. In mangas/animes like that with a fuckload of characters, as i'm sure you know, the writer tends to take the route of not developing most of them, either by choice or just lack of creativity to make each character unique and relatable.

It's almost a catch 22 in a sense, because when the material is initially released, they want to have a ton of different characters showing to try both hook fans who favor a certain type of character and to have plenty of characters to work with in the case that the series (hopefully) continues for a long time. Look at Naruto for example, it started with a fuckload of characters too, but given how long it's been out the author has had more time to develop (most of) them individually thus making it a more solid series.

I honestly prefer that approach, as most series that focus on a small handful of characters (and don't have a solid, solid story to back it up) tend to not last that long.

And yeah, the fact that up to the current episode I don't think I've seen a lick of any sort of training from the main characters in Fairy Tail does annoy the hell out of me. After that episode where they were ABOUT to train then got sucked to the Spirit Realm for a dinner party though, i'm starting to think the writer knows he isn't showing them training and is now trolling us when it looks like they are about to. :p

That being said, I'd still say it's a decent anime - not in my top 10 or anything but I wouldn't write the whole thing off as cheesy beyond DBZ.
biggrin.png

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Keep saying it over and over but Haiykuu!! is such a damn good show.
I watched the first 2 episodes of this last night. Please tell me that I'm not the only person that realizes Shoyo Hinata is Naruto & Kageyama Tobio is Sasuke.

Dulldain_sl

shitlord
I watched the first 2 episodes of this last night. Please tell me that I'm not the only person that realizes Shoyo Hinata is Naruto & Kageyama Tobio is Sasuke.
Its anime, they can sometimes make mainstream Hollywood look like a bastion of creativity.

Because of this thread I watched a few episodes of Haikyuu!! and it was pretty good, problem is I just cant get into volleyball. So I'll stick with my guilty pleasure sports anime Diamond no Ace. Love me some baseball!

Fadaar

That guy
Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club! is the best show of the season. Or at least the most entertaining/stupid/funny (in a good way). I had absolutely no idea what it was going to be about but gave it a shot, shit's hilarious especially with the (American) pop culture references.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm now 4 episodes in. I never really cared about sports, but I seem to enjoy the show anyway.

My wife told me that her Uncle, who lives in Kyoto, is a Volley Ball coach. Apparently he's "very scary" (her words) when in coach mode. I'll be sure to bring this anime up to him when we visit in September.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Haikyu!! is my jam, i always end up watching sports anime and im digging this one a whole lot.

Eyeshield, Ippo, One Outs, Prince - all good sports animes.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
In the light novel, for gun Gale, YES kirito does the light saber bit...

but he is DAMN good at Sword, so........it works.

one of the better scenes imo will be
him in the duel vs the girl.... her with her 50cal...him with...his sword.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
In the light novel, for gun Gale, YES kirito does the light saber bit...

but he is DAMN good at Sword, so........it works.

one of the better scenes imo will be
him in the duel vs the girl.... her with her 50cal...him with...his sword.
Doubt anyone minds he got a sword. I mean christ they gave him a lightsaber. Like 100% a lightsaber. Yoda will be making an appearance next episode.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
14m39s in (not sure if video plays at that time)

but it "sounds" like a light saber, it has that hum, def does NOT sound like any beam saber (gundam).

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */- HxH for the feels.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club! is the best show of the season. Or at least the most entertaining/stupid/funny (in a good way). I had absolutely no idea what it was going to be about but gave it a shot, shit's hilarious especially with the (American) pop culture references.
Yeah, its pretty good. The cheap shots the girls give each other is funny. The narrator really helps the show.

"Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?" is another one that ended up being enjoyable for me.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Will HxH ever explain why Gons father just doesn't give any kind of crap about his son? Really odd relationship.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Let me guess.

"The reason you are so strong is because I let you struggle your own way through life"

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Why isn't rwby bought out by a full studio? I love the comedy of the writing and the action scenes.
Food fight!!!