Supernatural

fucker_sl

shitlord
yeah. Hell they went far back to season one to pick the first girl of the show and kill her horribly....

the new angel girl met by Castiel ? killed after 20 minutes

the authors have some SERIOUS misoginy psychological problem

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
could be, but i think they wanted to focus on it being a boy's club. it's hard to have a female character fit in with a bunch of guys without changing *SOMETHING*. Even if you have a cool female friend who loves beer and football, when you invite her over with your guy friends for poker night it feels... off. it's easy to have a female character come in for a few episodes and make a strong impact, storywise, without changing too much of the feel of the show, but when having a female character be as important to the "inner circle" as characters like bobby and cas... it just... maybe it's me. but it feels ham-fisted. even though cas wasn't meant to last more than a few episodes, keeping him around felt organic to the show.

as i'm writing this, maybe it does feel a little mysoginistic, but one of the stronger themes in the show is how they just simply cannot protect anyone close to them, specifically female. maybe that's intentional, maybe it's a character trait that the brothers subconsciously believe and buy into... or just maybe they have a hard time finding hot women with enough acting ability to justify bringing them aboard for cheap. It's one of those shows that does well year after year and has a rabid fan base, but you also get the impression that WB isn't really giving them too high of a budget.

or just maybe robert singer (the writer, not the character) hates women.

Baraz_sl

shitlord
Think I read a while back it's because of how poorly the female characters play with their female audience. Think they hate the idea of there not being some weird gay incest possibility between Dean and Sam.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
"Oh youre a dirty homeless guy who just admitted to stabbing someone to death? Let's fuck"

edit: spoke too soon

fucker_sl

shitlord
i'm starting to wonder if the whole storyline is going torward the "timetravel" episode during season 5 where Lucifer is in Sam's body and has conquered earth, with a human Castiel as a sort of sexcrazy cult leader

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
i'm starting to wonder if the whole storyline is going torward the "timetravel" episode during season 5 where Lucifer is in Sam's body and has conquered earth, with a human Castiel as a sort of sexcrazy cult leader
I would love for them to do this and it would be absolutely awesome. However, I think they lack the balls and/or creativity to do something like that.

Musab

Molten Core Raider
"Question: Do you ever tire of urinating?"

I really just want a show with Dean and Cass kicking ass.

McCheese

you think so? certainly seems that way to me.
Isn't that time travel episode basically "the end"? I seem to remember everyone dying horribly for the most part. As much as I love Supernatural, it's always been a pretty formulaic and standard network TV show that doesn't break many of the "rules".

Caliane

Isn't that time travel episode basically "the end"? I seem to remember everyone dying horribly for the most part. As much as I love Supernatural, it's always been a pretty formulaic and standard network TV show that doesn't break many of the "rules".
what do you mean about formulaic in reference to that episode?

rewatching that episode on netflix to refresh my memory on it all. Blows my mind it was season 5 and we are on season 9 now?
10 minutes in and let me drop something on you. The date hes sent to in the future? Aug 1, 2014.

yeah, there have always been problems with timetravel in well everything.... But this show also implied angels can go forward and backward in time. so, the should know about the fall... and how are the angels running around in this future, after angels were kicked out of heaven... etc... gah.

At very least they are intentionally referencing this episode in the direction they are going.

Then again, clearly sets up alternate timelines or something.

Future Dean, does not remember having been past Dean. While if past same eventually became future Dean, he would remember being on the other side of the conversation bill and teds style. Croatoan virus showed up and went out of control "2 years ago".

So I think we'll just see more callbacks, but clearly an alternate future.

and yeah, getting to the end. Lucifer says that whatever details you change, even if Sam says no to Michael, etc. in the end, they will always end up back here. 'see you in 5 years"

McCheese

I didn't mean formulaic regarding that specific episode, I meant formulaic in terms of how the overall show is structured. It's not one of these "anyone can die at any time! A happy ending is not guaranteed!" HBO or Showtime shows. On any of the 4 big networks it's pretty damn rare to find anyone that deviates from the overall formula of "heroes encounter trouble, some minor characters die, but in the end the good guys prevail."

At most, I think they might return to that episode but have Dean's knowledge of it (he remembers it, right?) allow him to change the outcome so that the ending will be happy. I absolutely do not think the show will have anything but a happy ending for Sam, Dean, and Castiel.

Anyway, aren't the actors signed on through a 10th season? I take that to imply that if they do go towards that episode near the end of this season it will have a happy ending. If it doesn't, they won't have much to do for a 10th season.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the Oz theme personally. I'm getting sick of the red head though. Hope that's it for Felicia this season.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I like Felicia Day. Anyway she'll be back if the rumors are true about her and Dorothy getting their own spin-off.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I like Felicia Day. Anyway she'll be back if the rumors are true about her and Dorothy getting their own spin-off.
What. The. Fuck? Are you serious?

That has all kinds of awful written all over it. I don't hate Felicia Day, but I'm definitely done seeing her on television ever again. And Dorothy was ok, but really the only part of the episode I liked was the very end when I laughed about how Supernatural is the only show I know of that can pull off having Dorothy walking back down the yellow brick road to the tune of "For Those About To Rock..." That's what makes Supernatural badass. The stories can be hit or miss, but Dean and Moose together, with characters like Castiel and Crowley, are what keep us coming back. No one is going to tune in more than an episode or two to some Oz spinoff unless they are die-hard Felicia Day fans because those two characters aren't interesting enough to carry even one episode on their own, let alone an entire series.

If that show ever actually gets made, I can only imagine how awful the ratings would be by week 3.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Man, Felicia Day has not aged well.

And definitely with Vvoid, she is not something you could sell a Supernatural Spin-off on.