Tenet (2020)

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
As a software engineer it really fucking annoyed me that THE ALGORITHM was represented as a series of gears all linked together. Is that what people think code looks like? I don't even understand how THE ALGORITHM would work, but its Nolan scifi so whatever its in the same boat as "this machine lets you share dreams", "this black hole sends you behind a bookshelf".

Which would be fine, really, if Nolan-movies wouldn't come with this odd group of internet-shouty-fans that insist for some reason that everything sci-fi Nolan does is SCIENCE!!!! and if you don't see Nolan's latest flick as the ultimate revelation of cinema, you're just too stupid to understand it.

When did that start? Interstellar?

I don't remember this being a debate on Inception, where people seemed to be able to agree that it was a fun, fresh and enjoyable movie, even if you could find some plot holes and inconsistencies, if you wanted to go digging and the "science" was mostly on par with slightly wonkier 90s Star Trek on a bigger budget.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Which would be fine, really, if Nolan-movies wouldn't come with this odd group of internet-shouty-fans that insist for some reason that everything sci-fi Nolan does is SCIENCE!!!! and if you don't see Nolan's latest flick as the ultimate revelation of cinema, you're just too stupid to understand it.

When did that start? Interstellar?

I don't remember this being a debate on Inception, where people seemed to be able to agree that it was a fun, fresh and enjoyable movie, even if you could find some plot holes and inconsistencies, if you wanted to go digging and the "science" was mostly on par with slightly wonkier 90s Star Trek on a bigger budget.
I think it is hilarious that people get their assholes in knots about science in a movie. Who cares? Some people must be utterly miserable to be around.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think the details are cool, like that they got the visualization of the black hole somewhat accurate and all the time dilation shit, but ultimately it doesn't matter. It's a story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its not about the "science" of the movie.

its about a movie failing because it failed to convey any coherent information without clear exposition, which there really wasnt much of besides in the beginning with the woman talking about the bullet and entropy. Adebisi said it the best, you want to enjoy it, but your brain is too busy buffering.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This entire movie feels like Nolan thought of a bunch of cool random action scenes and then wrote plotvomit to connect them all.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
spronk spronk or anybody else watching this - if you have a good subwoofer setup let me know how it sounded when you watched it. I have a 4x18's and a commercial subwoofer, as well as transducers in my theater seats, and I am getting almost zero bass. Not sure if it is a bad rip or Nolan just FUBAR'd the sound on this.

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
I didn't have any problems with the bass. I had issues understand the dialogue sometimes so I watched it with subtitles.

• 1Great Review

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Adebisi said it the best, you want to enjoy it, but your brain is too busy buffering.

Thinking about it more I like this explanation the most. It explains my experience perfectly - too much brain power allocated trying to figure out what I was seeing and its implications.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Let's start with that temporal pincer, a concept Ives mentions a few times. In your run-of-the-mill pincer movement, a force outflanks its opponent and attacks from two sides at the same time, stretching their defences. A temporal pincer, in the same way, involves troops attacking an enemy. However, they're reinforced by inverted versions of themselves, who are travelling backwards through time, and come armed with the knowledge of how the original attack went.

Attempting to execute this on film in a way that easily translates to a viewer is....tough. The final battle scene was hard to understand because as a viewer we never saw the first failed attempt. Through most of the movie, we get to see time forward with little hints that something is still not quite right. A car appears almost out of nowhere. Masked assassins appearing out of nowhere when nobody else knew the plan. There were a lot of subtle things that then led to the second part of the movie. This worked fine right up to the final battle scene. That is when the movie went sideways. They attack a base knowing that they have already attacked the base and that the inverse will correct what went wrong. The stick in the mud is knowing that the enemy chooses to do the same thing. Since the Inverse arrived, it is assumed that the first attempt did fail. The enemy also gets to use the inverse to then counter the counter. So if the enemy knows what they did to win and then understands what the good guys have to change to win, would not the enemy always be one step ahead? The only way the good guys win is if the enemy makes mistakes in the counter. Technically if the enemy wins the first time, they should never lose any inverted attempts, all things being equal.

Its a fun movie to pick apart. The execution of it could have been done better. I think it suffers a bit from not having a second movie come out that completes the pincer movement as a whole. This might have helped in the understanding of the concept and better cemented the relationship between Neil(Robert Pattinson) and The Protagonist(John David Washington). It was not until right at the end that I felt the friendship that they had developed. The actors did very well for what was attempted. Despite its flaws, I loved the concept of how the Protagonist starts out not having a single clue about what is going on, only to figure out that he is the one that starts the entire chain of events.

I give this movie a solid 8/10. A person has to pay attention, when watching this movie, to enjoy it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This entire movie feels like Nolan thought of a bunch of cool random action scenes and then wrote plotvomit to connect them all.
I came to say basically this. I described it to a friend as it being a movie specifically created to showcase his "revolutionary" special effects of having people going forward and backward in time in the same scene. Which, admittedly, looked fucking flawless. But I feel like the only reason this movie even existed is because he thought up that "cool" premise and needed a way to put it on screen. The plot was simplistic and dumb, the acting was good enough, and the special effects were amazing at times. If I ever watch it again (big if), I will likely just skip to all of the cool action scenes. There is zero attraction for me to ever suffer through the actual story again.

spronk

FPS noob
lol i hope he shits on video games "games are stupid you can actually hear what people say to each other, thats not art. For my next movie all actors will talk like Nintendo characters in Charlie Brown voices"

• 1Worf

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I just received a notice from warner bros about my download, keep it safe fellas. Called them up and left a message saying I own every streaming service/full direct tv and to suck my nuts.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I just received a notice from warner bros about my download, keep it safe fellas. Called them up and left a message saying I own every streaming service/full direct tv and to suck my nuts.
Never, ever respond to any sort of copyright notice unless it is on paper from a legal department.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
What would be the title of that movie ? Tenet ?

cb017806ace9e294c2b775fcee7b85e5.jpg

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you use a VPN?

• 1Like