Terraria

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Seems like a normal world to me so far, just with more biomes in it.

There's jungle/ice/desert temple/dungeon/crimson/corruption/flying islands/world tree all crammed in to one world, but otherwise it seems pretty normal to me.

Who knows on hardmode though.

Rime

<Donor>
There are several issues with the 'drunken' world, wait until you try and get to the Dungeon. Funfun.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Started a new game, keep dying cause I'm fucking terrible and keep losing all my gold as a result, so it's not going that well but it's pretty fun. Made a large master world so I can spend a ton of time fucking around in, although if it proves to be too big maybe I'll reroll on a medium.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I never spent a lot of time in this game. Is there like a step-by-step on how one should proceed, progression wise?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I never spent a lot of time in this game. Is there like a step-by-step on how one should proceed, progression wise?
These vids seem ok to get started on. Just skip around as needed. I started to type stuff up but there's a lot to do just to get through "normal" mode in a world.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A few key nerfs in 1.4 though. For example, avoid any guide that says 'go fish up a reaver shark'.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The wiki has a "walkthrough" that basically details each biomes and when you should do them.

The general guideline is: explore around for caverns with chests, if you run into dungeon(blue bricks with an old man in front) or jungle, turn around(or go past them, just don't fuck around these areas). If you run into crimson/corruption(black/red stuff with weird monsters), probably turn around too but on easier difficulties you can somewhat explore these on the surface, not much to do there until you break the chests though. Desert and Ice, can do surface but don't dive(on normal might be able to dive a bit). The goal is mostly to find where each biome is for future farming, and get random stuff on the way.

Once you've explored around a bunch, you start going deeper(you can technically do this right away, although you might as well until it's night time to avoid surface night mobs), can either go deep into one of the caves you found, or just start your hellevator near your base(basically a mining shaft that'll go all the way to the underworld). Explore the first layer of underground, then the 2nd, maybe also shroom caves if you find some. Mine stuff, build better armors and weapons(and pickaxes). Find hearts in the caves as well as various items like grappling hooks, double jump, faster runspeed, higher jumps, actual weapons/armor, mirror to teleport back to base, lots of potions and so on.

Do the bosses(you can find the general order everywhere, usually eye first then worm/brain depending on your world, then dungeon/jungle depending on what you need first then the other, then you go straight down to the underworld, get your shit over there, kill the boss and now you're on hard mode, basically lookup a new guide cause there's an entirely new progression again but with new biomes and a lot of new bosses.

It's kinda sandbox, but with some sort of progression. That said if you don't use the wiki a lot, you'll miss out on a bunch of stuff, and there's various ways to play it. My first time I just digged around for a few hours finding random shit not really knowing what to do, works ok too.

A few key nerfs in 1.4 though. For example, avoid any guide that says 'go fish up a reaver shark'.
New player guides wouldn't recommend the reaver shark, it was mostly for skipping progress. The one advice that you'll probably see though is "keep your crates for hardmode", when you fish, you get crates with items, used to be you could open them on hard mode and get hard mode ores right away and skip the whole searching for new materials, can't do that anymore so just open crates as you get them.

• 2Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
The wiki has a "walkthrough" that basically details each biomes and when you should do them.

The general guideline is: explore around for caverns with chests, if you run into dungeon(blue bricks with an old man in front) or jungle, turn around(or go past them, just don't fuck around these areas). If you run into crimson/corruption(black/red stuff with weird monsters), probably turn around too but on easier difficulties you can somewhat explore these on the surface, not much to do there until you break the chests though. Desert and Ice, can do surface but don't dive(on normal might be able to dive a bit). The goal is mostly to find where each biome is for future farming, and get random stuff on the way.

Once you've explored around a bunch, you start going deeper(you can technically do this right away, although you might as well until it's night time to avoid surface night mobs), can either go deep into one of the caves you found, or just start your hellevator near your base(basically a mining shaft that'll go all the way to the underworld). Explore the first layer of underground, then the 2nd, maybe also shroom caves if you find some. Mine stuff, build better armors and weapons(and pickaxes). Find hearts in the caves as well as various items like grappling hooks, double jump, faster runspeed, higher jumps, actual weapons/armor, mirror to teleport back to base, lots of potions and so on.

Do the bosses(you can find the general order everywhere, usually eye first then worm/brain depending on your world, then dungeon/jungle depending on what you need first then the other, then you go straight down to the underworld, get your shit over there, kill the boss and now you're on hard mode, basically lookup a new guide cause there's an entirely new progression again but with new biomes and a lot of new bosses.

It's kinda sandbox, but with some sort of progression. That said if you don't use the wiki a lot, you'll miss out on a bunch of stuff, and there's various ways to play it. My first time I just digged around for a few hours finding random shit not really knowing what to do, works ok too.

New player guides wouldn't recommend the reaver shark, it was mostly for skipping progress. The one advice that you'll probably see though is "keep your crates for hardmode", when you fish, you get crates with items, used to be you could open them on hard mode and get hard mode ores right away and skip the whole searching for new materials, can't do that anymore so just open crates as you get them.
What do you mean by hardmode? Is that automatic after killing the first bosses? I've never got much further than killing the flying skull dude but fired up a new world this weekend with the final update.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
What do you mean by hardmode? Is that automatic after killing the first bosses? I've never got much further than killing the flying skull dude but fired up a new world this weekend with the final update.
Theres a few bosses but once you clear hell and drop a guide doll into the lava a huge wall/boss appears and moves across the screen. Once you kill it the world gets harder with new biomes/ores/items etc..(way more fun too IMO with all the additional stuff).

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah once you kill a certain boss, everything gets upgraded, new biomes are generated, new enemies spawn in existing biomes and old enemies get new skills/more hp, new ores start spawning too, your corruption/crimson/hallowed start spreading around, vendors have new items etc. Basically it starts the "real" game, at that point you have to revisit various places for the new monsters and stuff, find the new things to do and get more and more loot and fight stronger enemies. There's like 20 or 25 bosses total so it's not a short a game unless you rush and know what you're doing, there's actually quite a lot to do, as long as you like the primary loop.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Also, hardmode is different from the Journey/Classic/Expert/Master world settings.

• 1Like

Caliane

Ya that's what i was wondering, poorly phrased question on my part.
nah. its kindof on them, with hardmode being part of the game progression, and then adding new difficulty settings with expert/master later.

1.1 the hell boss WAS the end of the game or so. (might have just been beta. but there was a point where there was no hardmode either.)
then "hardmode" was added, creating new biomes and end game bosses...
Then, more end game bosses were added even past those lasts ones..
Then MORE past THOSE were added.. and expert mode, which makes the whole game more difficult, and adds some new items to balance it out..
now, more new new end game bosses, and master mode, with even more new items, and higher difficulty then expert. ha.

hardmode would be renamed postgame or something. but really, easily 75% of the games content is now in that "hardmode" endgame.

theres just SO much these days, the wiki is kindof needed.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Knocked out Destroyer on master mode. Kind of disappointing now that I've basically only got a handful of bosses left.

Also, I hate comparing this to Calamity all the time (I could also go with Thorium, which has different mod developers), but it's sad that master mode is basically expert with extra hp. There are no new mechanics or anything (except maybe more lasers and shit shooting).

Not that the end-all boss in Calamity should be the comparison, but Supreme Calamitas has like a dozen different mechanics, and also expert, revengeance, and death modes. Devourer of Gods was probably my favorite fight, and it's crazy how much shit you have to do. My arena was two platforms that extended the entire medium sized map. Oh, and did I mention nearly every boss in Calamity has custom music?

Version I killed had the laser walls, laser spheres, and an entire invulnerability section where it could kill you but you couldn't hit back.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Bought a hosting for a month if anyone is interested. Classic/large. We going at it somewhat casually to get our skills up then will try master to see whats what. Hellevator is almost done but not much else.

• 2Like